• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ideas for Australian Rugby Union

• Thread starter Sydney Wallabies
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We do not have the resources to target all schools, we have to be far more selective.

The district clubs have s pivotal role to play, each club should be asked to recommend some schools in their catchment which already have some relationship with our code, for example, a teacher who plays for the club, or is a known supporter, even parents who have an interest.

Each of the chosen schools should be given a "rugby partner", preferably a current player - and the most promising schools (i.e. those who are likeliest to produce some players for local junior teams) should be allocated a pro player. The "rugby partner" would work with the school to organise some training/ education sessions which would lead to kids being encouraged to join - or become part of - a local junior comp.

Every level of the game has to be involved in growing the grass roots. Especially the rich clubs. No exceptions.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I don't disagree with what you re saying ...I am making the point that in order to move forward in a considered fashion we need to know exactly what resources we have and how we currently use those resources . I was particularly interested in how we were engaging into all schools and junior clubs at present , only then can you make a considered judgement on a desired course of action ....That is not saying we should go into all schools , I don't think I said that . I watched my old state school many moons ago move from a rugby school to a soccer school which actually killed the local rugby club eventually due to a lack of engagement from the code whilst soccer (which was poorly run at the time) managed to attract interest with Socceroo engagement and an active local club that saw 4 guys from my year play in Europe (and we are talking the 70's ) . I have actually seen 3 Swans clinics in my area in the past 12 months at primary school level covering I think around 12 schools and suspect other codes doing the same . We need to be invited into schools with a compelling and hopefully sustainable level of interest and commitment and resources ...or in other words an offering . Only when we take stock of current and recent efforts will we have a clearer understanding of where the future growth of the game lies be it within or outside the current landscape.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
We do not have the resources to target all schools, we have to be far more selective.

The district clubs have s pivotal role to play, each club should be asked to recommend some schools in their catchment which already have some relationship with our code, for example, a teacher who plays for the club, or is a known supporter, even parents who have an interest.

Each of the chosen schools should be given a "rugby partner", preferably a current player - and the most promising schools (i.e. those who are likeliest to produce some players for local junior teams) should be allocated a pro player. The "rugby partner" would work with the school to organise some training/ education sessions which would lead to kids being encouraged to join - or become part of - a local junior comp.

Every level of the game has to be involved in growing the grass roots. Especially the rich clubs. No exceptions.
All wonderful ideas,but we don't live in Utopia.

Go and talk to a first grade SS player.
They are not full time Rugby players,although most train 4 sessions a week.
In the most part,they hold down full time jobs.
Those that are f/t students also have jobs to keep the wheels turning.
How are they going to give up time in School hours?
As to the Club "officials" doing the liaison,the vast majority are employed and are already devoting more time to the club than their business/employer would like.
Go to an AGM,there are not hundreds there, competing to devote their time to the club.

The sad reality is that without a program fully funded by the ARU, the code will continue to lose contact with Schools.

I have a few mates who are School teachers,who are consistently approached by AFL to run clinics at School.
They are always welcomed because they offer a well run program that the students enjoy,and is designed to make life easy for the teachers.
It's a classic win,win.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We just got second in the Rugby World Cup.

Pubs and Clubs were filled around the country, and the Wallabies were front page news across the country (for a day or two).

We haven't had a decent controversy in Wallaby rugby for a long while (if you discount Richard Graham's 2015 performance and his subsequent reappointment for 2016).

Sydney 7's are around the corner. Our Women's 7's team is a genuine contender for Olympic Gold in Rio.

It's ideas time folks.

How does Australian Rugby (and not its Administrators) cash in on this new found popularity?

If you were the ARU CEO for a Day, what would you do?
Bill needs our help. He may not know it yet, and may not have asked for it, but you know it makes sense.

It's the off season after all. What else is there to wang on about?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
bring back the "I wanna be a wallaby" line for kids with the trailers they used to have too

Yeah, that was great campaign from back when I was younger. Have Pocock, Folau, Hooper and Moore front it.

With Rio under a year away, I'd be looking to really build on 7s inclusion by setting up Schools Sevens events across the country. Set up mini 'circuits' played fortnightly or something at get as many kids as possible involved.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I would also spend money on getting an IGSSA and equivalents 7's competition happening regularly. Seven's rugby can really be there with Netball, Basketball and Soccer on top in female sports.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'd go for the all inclusive side of things. Basically if a kid wants to play they can. This would naturally involve both boys and girls competitions.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the women's sevens team is a huge potential booster for Australian rugby. They're a great side with a huge chance of winning gold. There's also some good personalities/characters in the team, judging by the little I've seen of them on Fox Sports - they come across really well. If a couple of those girls can become household names during the Olympics it would be massive for rugby.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
We just got second in the Rugby World Cup.

Pubs and Clubs were filled around the country, and the Wallabies were front page news across the country (for a day or two).

We haven't had a decent controversy in Wallaby rugby for a long while (if you discount Richard Graham's 2015 performance and his subsequent reappointment for 2016).

Sydney 7's are around the corner. Our Women's 7's team is a genuine contender for Olympic Gold in Rio.

It's ideas time folks.

How does Australian Rugby (and not its Administrators) cash in on this new found popularity?

If you were the ARU CEO for a Day, what would you do?
Bill needs our help. He may not know it yet, and may not have asked for it, but you know it makes sense.

It's the off season after all. What else is there to wang on about?

I would like to nominate dismal pillock as CEO.
things would never be the same again!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
ARU needs to get into schools and start to break down the association silos that exist.

The broader base we need for development, given how important GPS is to our pathways, can only happen when we show the other groups right through to CHS where the peak is. There might be a decade of thrashings, but as with letting Italy come in to the 5N or Argentina to our own comp, it will bring improvement in the standard of play.

The knock-on effects are a bigger and wider talent pool for not only players, but officials including referees, managers, trainers, etc. to get together and share ideas. It also gives us a mainline into tapping talent at schools that might otherwise have their players go straight to league e.g. CHS schools that play rugby as a sideline.

Maybe leverage the Olympic thing and start with 7s, but also get a 10s comp going. That would be sweet.

T

TOCC

Australia needs to consolidate the 7's tournament calendar.

Currently we have a smattering of Seven's tournaments run by different clubs, unions and organisers. Some of those tournaments are run quite professionally and to a high standard, offering respectable prize money and teams from across the world.

Now what i would like to see is a National 7's tournament construct laid over the top of those tournaments, pick 6-8 of the tournaments between September and February, and run it like the International 7's series, with points on offer and a national champion at the end.

In the long run the aim would be to offer a sizeable prize to the series winner and have the legs picked up by a broadcaster.

A series loosely based on this years schedule could look like this:

19-20 Sep - Emmanuel Sevens(QLD)
26-27 Sep - Elizabeth Sevens(SA)
10-11 Oct - Noosa Sevens(QLD)
17-18 Oct - Melbourne International 7s(VIC)
24-25 Oct - Central Coast Sevens(NSW)
23-24 Jan - Hottest Sevens(Darwin)
13-14 Feb- Cockburn Sevens(WA)
27-28 Feb - Kiama Sevens(NSW)

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
ARU needs to get into schools and start to break down the association silos that exist.

The broader base we need for development, given how important GPS is to our pathways, can only happen when we show the other groups right through to CHS where the peak is. There might be a decade of thrashings, but as with letting Italy come in to the 5N or Argentina to our own comp, it will bring improvement in the standard of play.

The knock-on effects are a bigger and wider talent pool for not only players, but officials including referees, managers, trainers, etc. to get together and share ideas. It also gives us a mainline into tapping talent at schools that might otherwise have their players go straight to league e.g. CHS schools that play rugby as a sideline.

Maybe leverage the Olympic thing and start with 7s, but also get a 10s comp going. That would be sweet.

This is the single biggest issue I feel. The amount of talent going straight into league (many of them originally schoolboy union stars just looking for an opportunity) is killing us.

Also, league promotes a size and skill level that is very similar. Other than halfback and prop, the positions are basically interchangeable. This is an area that I feel union could push hard at that junior level. Short, squat and not some amazing athlete? You're a vital part of the union team. Long and lanky? You're a vital part of the union team. And so on.

Every kid dreams of being a sports star. Don't let those big dreams die because you don't fit 'the mould'. Dream bigger and be a Wallaby.

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Also, just a side note on us as fans. While union is hot let's make the most of it. Drag people along to games while they're still interested. On all levels - Wallabies, Super Rugby and, really importantly, the NRC. Buy Wallabies jerseys and gear for Christmas gifts. My Dad will sure as shit be getting one from us.

T

TOCC

That's a great idea.
I would be including the Central Coast 7's in the schedule,it was on a couple of weeks ago and is very high standard.

Yep Central Coast Seven's is definitely one of the benchmark tournaments currently in Australia.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I would like to nominate dismal pillock as CEO.
Muslim-men-pray-in-the-st-001_zpsnuennlsb.jpg

"Best of order, please, best of orde YOU! Stay prone! Do not even look upon me with your naked eye! Now then, where was I? Oh yes. Thank you for electing me to the post of ARU CEO for the day. My name is Dismal Pillock and without further ado, I would like to formally announce my first official policy initiative for the future of Australian Rugby. It involves the incorporation of a"Grass Roots" policy to be symbiotically integrated with a "Scorched Earth" movement.

Obviously, for the thickos here, that means burning Australian Rugby to the ground.

Right down to the roots.

The grass roots.

Righto.

You lot do all the work and I'll supervise from up here.

Pillock is Good, Pillock is Great, etc, etc. Oh, one other thing, do I get a harem?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

So whose going to do it?????

That is a friendly invite to all you punters out there to jump on the bandwagon and help make it happen.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
So whose going to do it?????

The ARU has to start this, because it needs to be organised on a national level. I'm sure rugby schools outside the QLD/NSW/ACT would love a bigger shot at things as well.

I'm just a poor state-schooled ex-prop who barely has time to coach Subbies ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.