• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Sub plot: Two former heineken cup winning Leinster coaches coming head to head at the spiritual home of Irish rugby. An interesting spectacle awaits.

Joe's coaching is so clearly evident in the way the Irish play now it's actually a bit surreal. I'm not sure how else to describe it other than they play like one of the best-coached sides in the world right now, just so effective in their system and they stick to it absolutely.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
1. Slipper
2. Faainga
3. Kepu
4. Horwill
5. Simmons
6. Jones
7. Hooper
8. McCalman
9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. Tomane
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

16. Mann-Rae
17. Robinson
18. Faulkner
19. Skelton
20. Hodgson
21. Genia
22. Foley
23. Horne

P

Paradox

Time to rest some and give others a go:​
1. Slipper
2. Faainga
3. Kepu
4. Horwill
5. Simmons
6. Jones
7. Hooper
8. McCalman
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Tomane
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Speight
15. Folau

16. Hansen
17. Robinson
18. Alexander
19. Carter
20. Hodgson
21. White
22. Godwin
23. Foley (or BEALE: If Cheika is going to selected him)​
I'd start Horne on the wing against England as he hasn't had a start.​

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Higganbotham
7. Hooper
8. MacCalman
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ashley-Cooper
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Speight
15. Folau

16. Hanson
17. Robinson
18. Faulkner
19 Jones
20. Hodgson
21. Phipps
22. Foley
23. Horne

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I would expect the locks to be Carter (if he's over his head knock), and Simmons, with Big Kev on the bench. Not sure why Folau would need a "rest", as some have suggested, unless it's from the hectic schedule of visiting the tourist spots in between matches!

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I would expect the locks to be Carter (if he's over his head knock), and Simmons, with Big Kev on the bench. Not sure why Folau would need a "rest", as some have suggested, unless it's from the hectic schedule of visiting the tourist spots in between matches!

It was touted that Cheika had stated that Folau was knackered and we didn't have a back up fullback being the reasons Beale was on his way over..this was then extrapolated to mean that Folau would be rested. However, I have since read the article and Cheika actually only said the latter, the other part was media hype..so Folau will be playing I reckon..

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
3rd v 4th in the World as long as Ireland win tonight, over take both Australia and England in the rankings after both teams loses this weekend. Not actually gaining any %.

Will be a interesting game, Ireland have been playing well the last 12 months winning the 6 nations and beating the Puma's twice in June. A few of these players will not have forgotten last November either, Ireland by 15

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Wallabies will want to get their body height right carrying the ball. I can see Ireland turning the ball over a lot in tackles that turn into mauls.

You've noticed that too? If you watch the last Irish game, Sexton, Kearney, Ruddock, pretty much all of the ball carriers run in the same way, a bit like a coiled spring with a good, strong bend over the hips. Then you look at someone like Willie le Roux, who is a great runner, but he runs like a pickle or a sausage.

Actually, ever watch the Brewers play Major League Baseball? During the 7th inning stretch, there's a race between a bunch of guys dressed up as various sausages -- an Italian sausage, a bratwurst, a kielbasa, a chorizo, and a hot dog all have a race. (It's sponsored by a local sausage company.)

qbYjZkY.gif

A lot of players run like these guys when carrying the ball, generally because they're trying to keep their heads up and look for options. Le Roux did this, and it cost him in the Ireland game. Beale often runs like this into traffic. Cooper, too. Sometimes Aaron Cruden runs like this. You see it more in league because they're almost always looking to pass or offload, because they're almost always running into traffic instead of space. (Seriously, what's up with that? I watched the Kiwis play the Kangaroos the other night, and a few times when a runner had the option of cutting left or right into space or running directly into two forwards, they inevitably ran into the forwards, like moths to brightly-lit forwards.)

Against sides that swarm at the breakdown and are looking to strip the ball at every opportunity, it's probably a good idea not to run like a kielbasa.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Great, now I need to go to the kitchen and crack open some charcuterie. :)

I'd imagine Cheika remembers this, but he has a lot on his plate at the moment, and how a player carries the ball can be hard to unlearn.

The wallaby back row is a problem, which is a funny thing to have to say when Hooper and McCalman are playing pretty well. Something Fardy-shaped making a pest of himself would be pretty handy.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Great, now I need to go to the kitchen and crack open some charcuterie. :)

I'd imagine Cheika remembers this, but he has a lot on his plate at the moment, and how a player carries the ball can be hard to unlearn.

The wallaby back row is a problem, which is a funny thing to have to say when Hooper and McCalman are playing pretty well. Something Fardy-shaped making a pest of himself would be pretty handy.
On this tour it is, but it's really only 6 that is the issue..on that front we have have Fardy & Higginbotham out temporarily, Palu also to return at 8 and possibly throw Pocock in the mix too..our best back row is world class, if we can field them all on the same day!
But your last point is noted and pertinent!

Status
Not open for further replies.