• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Jake White: Next Wallaby Coach 2014+?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
An interesting scenario is building, slowly but palpably.

JW has repeatably said that some day he'd like to return to national coaching.

Assuming he continues the current excellent, positive trajectory he's creating with the Brumbies and that our dear Robbie parts these shores in late 2013 after his then 6 year term with the Wallabies expires, JW could well be an outstanding candidate to replace him from 2014. Unless there's a coaching results debacle in say SA, England or such like, it's not likely a new top line national coaching position will come up until 2016 and, equally, I would think JW would not want to give less than 2 years of solid commitment to the Brumbies. So an offer to coach the Wallabies from 2014 after 2 successful (and hopefully enjoyable) years within the Aus S15 Conference could be the perfect one for JW.

Link would likely be a nose ahead, but what (God forbid) if the Reds do poorly this year and next?

Yet another potential future reason to thank the ACTRU and JW for joining hands.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Am I the only one who thinks foreign coaches are a bad idea?

I think a massive part of the reasons deans has failed is due to him trying to coach us like he would coach kiwis.

Imagine the uproar when JW drops pocock.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I suppose it's worth noting here that only last week JO'N stated that (paraphrasing) 'one scenario remains that RD 'shoots the lights out and wins everything in sight' for 2012 and 2013, and then he might be reappointed as the Wallaby coach through 2015'.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Link would likely be a nose ahead, but what (God forbid) if the Reds do poorly this year and next?

What (God forbid) if the Brumbies do poorly this year and next?

I do not wish for nor expect either eventuality but we have just passed the winning post the first time around in this year's race. There are still many furlongs to be covered.

In any case Totality may get bored with just supervising and mentoring the national coach and decide to slip into the chair himself.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I would hope the Mocker Gods of Australian Rugby are totally impartial, and consider all options, in totality, and including Totality, and their final Commandment is, in its finality, totally, and in all parts, transparent to all parties, including Totality, and any considered sub-Totals.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Robbie Deans was the right choice at the time, our next national coach must be an Aussie. I think it would be a public relations disaster to have another imported national coach.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
I guess one point of difference between Jake and Deans is that Jake would have actually spent a considerable time working in Australian Rugby by the time he potentially would be in consideration for the job of coaching the Wallabies. So to some extent, a judgement could be made as to whether his coaching methods would be successful with Australian players.

However, I don't think the style of game plan Jake likes to employ would be successful (or popular) in Australia where there is a demand for the team to play 'entertaining' rugby as well as 'winning' rugby.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
The way people seem to judge contenders at the moment the next Aussie coach would be the coach if the team that finishes highest in super rugby that year?

I reckon someone like Michael Cheika would be a better option than someone local. No allegiance to players or particular management, but still Aussie at heart.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
However, I don't think the style of game plan Jake likes to employ would be successful (or popular) in Australia where there is a demand for the team to play 'entertaining' rugby as well as 'winning' rugby.

I'm not sure that demand is really there. I think winning is what gets the headlines, bums on seats and revenue. It's more that when Australian teams have done well it hasn't been through ten-man or heavily forward-oriented rugby.

As such the leap is made that this rugby isn't entertaining, more because it's not winning for our teams than anything else.

Although I agree that there is more pressure on Aussie teams to play 'entertaining' than those from other countries.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)

I think that's true to some extent, but the way the Brumbies played on Saturday was both 'entertaining' and 'winning'. I think the match against the Clan also falls into that category.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
I think that's true to some extent, but the way the Brumbies played on Saturday was both 'entertaining' and 'winning'. I think the match against the Clan also falls into that category.

You are preaching to the converted here RS. I am a strong believer in the "there is nothing boring about winning" philosophy.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think anyone would have looked good against the Rebels. I find it strange that my own countrymen despise Jake (a lot of them anyway) and often give Eddie Jones the credit for our World Cup success whilst in Australia Eddie is despised and Jake is seen as a hero.

I think Jake is an excellent coach but I don't think a foreign coach is good for any Tier 1 nation.

T

Train Without a Station

The way people seem to judge contenders at the moment the next Aussie coach would be the coach if the team that finishes highest in super rugby that year?

I agree that one year shouldn't be what's judged. What Link has done as the Reds is what we want to see at the Wallabies. I consider 2010-2011 to be runs on the board for him. Perhaps Jake White is achieving on the same level at the Brumbies? Hard to judge until next year though.

L

Lachlan

We could do worse, although Jake has shown an RD'esque penchant for bizzare backrow selections. Link's quite clearly the man for the job. Shrewd and well rounded as a coach, I think the Red's 2012 is going to be remembered as a team getting an excellent result in the face of a staggering amount of injuries - whether that be a second title in a row or a top four finish remains to be seen. Either would be impressive, all considered.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Pick an Aussie. Take one potentially controversial variable right out of the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.