• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

James O'Connor signs with West Harbour. WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
According to Georgina Robinson on twitter, JOC (James O'Connor) has signed for 3 years with Shute Shield club West Harbour.

What. The. Fuck.

Obviously means a move to the Tahs is on the cards.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Since when do Shute Shield clubs write multi-year contracts? Have the Concord boys merged with Balmain? (And by the way, how are things progressing with the Balmain Invitational Professional League?)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
qwerty posted this in the Tahs thread the other day as it was originally on West Harbour's twitter and then removed.........

'tis a strange one..........

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Plenty of players are "registered" with Shute Shield clubs but ply their professional trade skills at Soup franchises other than the Tahs.

Where would Beiber-boy play for the Tahs if he came?

Without more ground leasing going on, how could the Tah's afford him and others such as IF (wanted) and Gilbert (not really wanted but looks like it will happen).

IMHO, Beiber would do better looking further North, where that franchise seems to have a better track record of looking after precocious but difficult talent.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Think this is just pot stirring and poor ol' Georgina Robinson took the bait on this one (what a surprise). For it to be posted to twitter, removed then re-posted back on the FB page seems a little odd. Anyways I don't think it would have any bearing on his soup franchise intentions. It also seems quite unprecedented to 'contract' players at SS level; perhaps they've moved to a new level of professionalism?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I always took JOC (James O'Connor) for a Hennesey man. Not because he particularly likes the drop, but because US rappers seem to wave it around and it's expensive.

Has there been a final year of his contract that hasn't been accompanied by whispers about defection and transfer? Seems to be par for the course with ol' JOC (James O'Connor).

T

Train Without a Station

Plenty of players are "registered" with Shute Shield clubs but ply their professional trade skills at Soup franchises other than the Tahs.

But traditionally aren't they signed from these clubs having the link to the club originally?

I know Barnes signed with Uni when he came from Bris, but how often does a player join when having no affiliation to Syndey originally?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maybe JOC (James O'Connor) is looking to buy a house in the inner west and hang out at the cafes of Dulwich Hill on Sunday mornings?

I would have picked him as more of an eastern beaches or inner city type but maybe he's looking to settle down.

T

Train Without a Station

Interesting indeed. Aren't JOC (James O'Connor) and Buddy Franklin tight? Big speculation Buddy will take $1.5M a year for 6 years with GWS. I know it's a pretty long bow to draw, but could they be related?

T

Train Without a Station

I think it's related for sure.

It sounds pretty stupid... But so does the concept of JOC (James O'Connor) signing for a club which is in a province that has stated they have no interest in signing him.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Not many seem to want him in "their" Soup franchise.

How often does that happen with a current Wallaby player?

I'm couching my words here, but he must be a difficult person to deal with if teams are happy to hand him off or refuse to deal with him.

Laurie Fisher tweeted something about "delinquent backs" getting all of the media when it's the pigs who will decide the Lions series. fairly transparently, referring to JOC (James O'Connor) et al. Can't see him welcoming him into the Brumbies fold, especially with Pocock there to give character insights.

All this talk about KB (Kurtley Beale) getting away from bad influences in Melbourne should be read: getting away from JOC (James O'Connor) and Buddy Franklin. It's a colossal undermining of that rhetoric if they all up stumps and move to Sydney.

I'm getting thoroughly tired of sports stars and their agents wringing money out of their contract negotiations. Be clear and open, get in done quickly and stop the subterfuge.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't like the guy (or what he puts out there as his Brand) but you'd be hard pressed to say no to such a talented footballer in your team.

Status
Not open for further replies.