• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Japan vs Wallabies, Nissan Stadium, Yokohama, Sat 4th Nov 4.40pm AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
SO Cheika has said we will be fielding our strongest possible team for all games on the tour. Do we think he includes this one in that statement or just the European matches?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
He seemed to confirm that this Test would see the strongest team they can select from the squad. I can't see any sense in picking anything less.
So, who knows? :p

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The Wallabies will be looking to continue to improve combinations, create momentum and improve their Win/Loss record. I’m guessing he means exactly what he says. I would like to see at least see a couple of guys on the bench that can be blooded if things go well - but I could understand if he chooses not to do this.

Cheika has shown some willingness to back young blokes though, in a sink or swim manner, so I guess we’ll see. As a minimum one of the locks will get a run. I also wouldn’t mind seeing him give Powell & Uelese some time. And, if we can establish a good lead, I’d like to see him give Foley a break and give his plan B some time.

Last thing we need is to turn this game into a banana skin though.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Love to see Blake Enever on the bench, assuming we will start with Coleman and Simmons who both can run the lineout.
I would guess that he will revert to a Hanigan/Hooper/McMahon back row and McCalman will be the perfect bench option.
If Foley gets an early spell then most likely Beale goes to 10? Powell looked sharp last week.
Who starts at 15? Not Hunt. I would opt for Hodge or Beale.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Love to see Blake Enever on the bench, assuming we will start with Coleman and Simmons who both can run the lineout.
I would guess that he will revert to a Hanigan/Hooper/McMahon back row and McCalman will be the perfect bench option.
If Foley gets an early spell then most likely Beale goes to 10? Powell looked sharp last week.
Who starts at 15? Not Hunt. I would opt for Hodge or Beale.

Wouldn't mind Perese on the left wing with Hodge at fullback

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Id rather see Hunt back in at 12 and Beale at 15. Hunt can defend 12 and Beale can attack from 15. Sounds like playing to their strengths.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Beale is more likely to stay at 12.

Playing as first receiver a lot would appear to be one of his key roles.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not against the Soap Dodgers, I hope. If they pick Te’o it could be a bloodbath.

The jersey numbers are probably more a reflection of a player's position in attack than defence. My guess is the Wallabies will want Beale playing close in and acting as first receiver a lot and Hunt popping up around the 13 channel like Folau does in attack. Te'o is injured anyway and isn't in England's squad.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Hunt at 15 & hopefully McCalman at 6. I think he can play the game Cheika wants from our 6 and is significantly better at it at this time in their respective developments than Hanigan.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Hunt at 15 & hopefully McCalman at 6. I think he can play the game Cheika wants from our 6 and is significantly better at it at this time in their respective developments than Hanigan.

He probably won''t walk directly into a starting spot.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
He probably won''t walk directly into a starting spot.
You’re probably right - but I am mindful he has been out injured all year so he hasn’t been overlooked previously as such. He is an experienced campaigned and has been around the Wallaby set up enough to not be all at sea.

Personally I think he is the better option by some margin - but bringing him back by the bench is the more conventional way of doing it.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
You’re probably right - but I am mindful he has been out injured all year so he hasn’t been overlooked previously as such. He is an experienced campaigned and has been around the Wallaby set up enough to not be all at sea.

Personally I think he is the better option by some margin - but bringing him back by the bench is the more conventional way of doing it.

Hopefully, he can come off the bench and blow Hanigans efforts out of the water, as Dempsey did. That way he'll be promoted quickly. I don't want Hanigan starting against England.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Agreed but I'm comfortable with Hanigan starting this week and Big Dog upstaging him for the starting jersey by the third game (the Poms). I'd rather Benny at 8 and McMahon at 6 just for his experience at the back of the scrum, it's irrelevant what number they are wearing otherwise though.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe it’s actually McCalman’s time. A couple of years ago when we wanted a blockbusting number 8, he couldn’t fill that brief. Just wasn’t dynamic enough. But he has always been a hard worker & honest toiler who makes his tackles, makes his runs and is effective at the breakdown. He is a reasonable lineout option. Basically does all the things that Cheika wants from his 6, and is pretty good at them.

Or maybe I’m just getting carried away with one good half of football.

Status
Not open for further replies.