• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John Eales' charge down kick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titch

Bob McCowan (2)
Question:

Please reply if you know that match where John Eales charged down and stopped a conversion? Also who the kicker was?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I remember steven larkham charging down an all blacks conversion. Dont re-call john eales doing it.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
not a chance Eales had the pace to charge down a conversion attempt. As for Lang above, yet he jumped up and caught a penalty attempt, and then booted the ball 40m down field.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
not a chance Eales had the pace to charge down a conversion attempt. As for Lang above, yet he jumped up and caught a penalty attempt, and then booted the ball 40m down field.

And as a consequence, I am pretty sure that they changed the laws of the game to prevent it happening again.

Superb athlete was our Nobody.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Will Brock (Easts) charged a conversion down from right in front against Warringah I think.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Question:

Please reply if you know that match where John Eales charged down and stopped a conversion? Also who the kicker was?

Eales certainly did charge down a conversion as did Larkham against the AB's. Good question Titch as I know Eales has definitely done it & for some reason I keep thinking Ballymore.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I was often the one to attempt a charge down in my side in the old days...and at one time, the ball fell over just before the kicker was about to meet it, and my charge was well and truly underway...and instead of stopping, I kept on going, ref allowed it...and thus saved a goal there...

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I was often the one to attempt a charge down in my side in the old days...and at one time, the ball fell over just before the kicker was about to meet it, and my charge was well and truly underway...and instead of stopping, I kept on going, ref allowed it...and thus saved a goal there...

Happened to Stephen Jones for the BI Lions in SA last year; a kick right in front, the ball fell off the tee before he could strike it and he was forced to try and snap a drop goal (but missed).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The charge down happens so rarely that it might as well be struck from the Laws of the game.

Most teams do not even bother attempting to charge down nowdays.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
The charge down happens so rarely that it might as well be struck from the Laws of the game.

Most teams do not even bother attempting to charge down nowdays.

It's a lot harder with a opponent sprinting towards you putting pressure on the kick, it's not all about physically charging the kick

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Lachie Turner's charged down a conversion attempt too. Forget against whom.

I've seen Lachie charge down at least two conversions. Once against Fiji for Australia A at North Sydney Oval, and another time in a Super 14 match at the Sydney Football Stadium, I think it was against the Hurricanes.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The blurb from Fitzy's Biography on Eales makes reference to it.
ohn Eales is a giant of a man who stands almost 6 foot 8 inches tall. In rugby union he plays with the big men in tight forwards - in the lineouts, scrums, rucks and malls. This is a brutal world of strength, power and toughness. So why is Eales Australia's most loved player? Perhaps it's because although he talks the tough stuff on he can also be seen screaming across the field in cover defence, or charging down a kick (even once a kick at the goal), or saving a goal by leaping above the crossbar and tapping the ball back into the field of play, or leaping higher than any in the lineout, or diving like a sprawling gully fielder to snaffle a kick through on the full, or kicking goals himself from the sideline. John Eales' all round athleticism is unsurpassed. But there's more than this. Eales is an inspirational leader through his actions and his relentless determination. He is often one of the first chosen in the all-time allstar world teams of many. This book also traces the history of the Wallabies throughout the nineties and beyond - it's full of revelation and straight-talking.

http://www.boomerangbooks.com.au/John-Eales/Peter-FitzSimons/book_9780733310126.htm

Fitzy doesn't make errors on basic facts so we can be sure that it happened now just find the game. Anybody got a copy of Fitzy's book handy?

Status
Not open for further replies.