• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John Hipwell - RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
One of the greats has passed away. Some of you here will surely remember him, in his era and still, a truly outstanding rugby halfback.

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hipwell
Rugby mourning John Hipwell

By JAMES GARDINER Sept. 24, 2013, 2:15 p.m. The Newcastle Herald

AUSTRALIAN Rugby Union is in mourning after the death of former Wallabies captain and halfback John Hipwell.

Hipwell died suddenly on Monday. He was aged 65.

Born in Newcastle in 1948, Hipwell played 35 tests for the Wallabies, nine as captain, and was admired around the world for his tough, uncompromising game.

A protege of another Newcastle born Wallaby halfback Cyril Burke, Hipwell replaced Ken Catchpole in 1968 and continued his international career until 1982.

He came through the The Waratahs and was one of a few to represent NSW and Australia from the country.

In 1975 he moved from Newcastle to Armidale to take up a teaching position. In recent years he has lived in Brisbane where he taught at the Anglican (Churchie) Grammar School (added: aka Churchie).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sad news indeed, and condolences to the Hipwell family.

The game played in Heaven must have had a #9 go down with hamstring issues.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Devastating news.

One of the best scrum halves this country has ever produced and a true gentleman off the field.

I had the honour of being a student of his and will never forget the lessons he taught me in the design technology labs. Even though we were never close on a personal level he would always go out of his way to help and we had some interesting discussions.

A remarkable man who's influence extended far beyond the realm of rugby.

You will be missed.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
As a Churchie dad, I coached and then reffed for the school.
Although John was not the Rugby Director, he was always there to advise and assist. Rugby was his life & soul.
So now he's up there playing the game in heaven

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
God Bless John Hipwell and commiserations to his family; I don't think he would've minded a comment that 65 is a young age to get the red card from the Big Ref.

I didn't know him as other forum members did but he was one hell of a rugby player, who played for the Wallabies in three different decades.

He was one of the links in the chain of great half-backs we have had since World War II—Cyril Burke, Ken Catchpole, John Hipwell, Nick Farr-Jones, George Gregan, Will Genia—it was almost like watching the passing of the baton from one to the next.

Hipwell would have been great in the modern game because, like Catchpole, he could do remarkable things with crap ball.

Let's hope that we see another player like him wearing the 9 jersey some time soon.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
As a Churchie dad, I coached and then reffed for the school.
Although John was not the Rugby Director, he was always there to advise and assist. Rugby was his life & soul.
So now he's up there playing the game in heaven

Indeed. I only saw him a few days back where at the annual Churchie end-of-season rugby function for parents, boys and coaches John Hipwell presented the annual prize in his name for the best U15 player of the year (he was also Manager of the U15 year rugby group).

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
What LG said x 2. We had a great run of halfbacks in the 50s, 60s and 70s from Burke to Catchpole and then Hipwell, long may it continue. As LG has also pointed out, Catchpole and Hipwell were masters at cleaning up crap ball, a skill some current scrummies could well learn.

In 1978 the Australian rugby team (not yet called "Wallabies") toured New Zealand, and as luck would have it the first two tests were on consecutive weekends. "Beauty", says Lindo, "I'm off for a week's skiing and two rugby tests". We lost the First Test in windy, wet Wellington 13-12 (Ken Wright missed a kick at the death) and got touched up in cold, wetter Christchurch a week later. That was the test Geoff Richards flew over to make his debut, and played bloody well in a losing side. The ABs tore into us on the wet turf, rucked and counter-rucked like madmen. Hippy never flinched, protected the ball like a new father with his baby.

Somehow I got a bait to the after-match function that night and ran into Hippy at the gents. I remarked about the brutal rucking the ABs had meted out - he lifted up his shirt to show me the sprig marks down his back, about five sets of tram tracks. He didn't complain about it one bit. A brave, brave man.

My finances weren't flush enough for me to stay the extra fortnight, so I missed seeing Cornelsen's four tries in Auckland.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What LG said X 2. We had a great run of halfbacks in the 50s, 60s and 70s from Burke to Catchpole and then Hipwell, long may it continue. As LG has also pointed out, Catchpole and Hipwell were masters at cleaning up crap ball, a skill some current scrummies could well learn.

In 1978 the Australian rugby team (not yet called "Wallabies") toured New Zealand, and as luck would have it the first two tests were on consecutive weekends. "Beauty", says Lindo, "I'm off for a week's skiing and two rugby tests". We lost the First Test in windy, wet Wellington 13-12 (Ken Wright missed a kick at the death) and got touched up in cold, wetter Christchurch a week later. That was the test Geoff Richards flew over to make his debut, and played bloody well in a losing side. The ABs tore into us on the wet turf, rucked and counter-rucked like madman. Hippy never flinched, protected the ball like a new father and his baby.

Somehow I got a bait to the after-match function that night and ran into Hippy at the gents. I remarked about the brutal rucking the ABs had meted out - he lifted up his shirt to show me the sprig marks down his back, about five sets of tram tracks. He didn't complain about it one bit. A brave, brave man.

My finances weren't flush enough for me to stay the extra fortnight, so I missed seeing Cornelsen's four tries in Auckland.

I happened to play TAS in the first game of that season when he was their 1st XV coach (I think) - hard to comprehend then that I had been in the same room as him when I watched at least one of those tests.
He had been retired prior to that tour had he not?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Yer right, IS, he did come out of retirement for that tour. Couldn't miss playing at a test where I was a spectator... :rolleyes:

Here are the JH Wikipedia entries re his Wallaby period(s):

International Debut: Saturday, 15/06/1968 v New Zealand (Sydney) lost 27-11 - (Aged: 20)
Final Appearance: 02/01/1982 v England (Twickenham) lost 15-11 (Aged: 33)
Wallaby Number: 519

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
God Bless John Hipwell and commiserations to his family; I don't think he would've minded a comment that 65 is a young age to get the red card from the Big Ref.

I didn't know him as other forum members did but he was one hell of a rugby player, who played for the Wallabies in three different decades.

He was one of the links in the chain of great half-backs we have had since World War II—Cyril Burke, Ken Catchpole, John Hipwell, Nick Farr-Jones, George Gregan, Will Genia—it was almost like watching the passing of the baton from one to the next.

Hipwell would have been great in the modern game because, like Catchpole, he could do remarkable things with crap ball.

Let's hope that we see another player like him wearing the 9 jersey some time soon.

Is this perhaps what you mean LG?

Screen Shot 2013-09-24 at 7.34.35 PM copy.jpg

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
My good mate "Richo" (Geoff Richardson), who played outside John (at fly half) for Australia, will be devastated.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
As a devotee of the pre-professional game I must say that like RH and Lee I much admired Hipwell's game.

Condolences to his family and friends.

It is sad that another great link to our Rugby history has been lost to us. When I return home to my library this week I will try and dig up some footage John in action and post it if I can rip it from the old VHS, in tribute as it were.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Certainly the most talented player I ever had the (very undeserving) privilege to play with. For mine, stand besides Catchpole as our greatest 9, amazing pass, powerful defender for a little guy and could sniff out a break from anywhere.

We used to go night fox-shooting, a really great guy.

Sadly I had lost touch. A very sad day for Colleen and the family, and for the rugby family.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
As a devotee of the pre-professional game I must say that like RH and Lee I much admired Hipwell's game.

Condolences to his family and friends.

It is sad that another great link to our Rugby history has been lost to us. When I return home to my library this week I will try and dig up some footage John in action and post it if I can rip it from the old VHS, in tribute as it were.

This.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Never knew or met the man. Admired him greatly. Condolences to his family and friends. Too young to be called to play the game at a higher level.

Status
Not open for further replies.