• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2016 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
From the Vikings Website.

Vikings run away with it against Easts

By Jess Allardyce​
With no fixture for First Division 2nd Grade or Colts, Premier 1st and 2nd grade along with First Division 1st grade showcased an all-round dominating performance in Vikings last home game of the season. In front of 90+ old boys celebrating the 2016 Hagar’s day, all teams showcased some great rugby and totalling more than 250 points against the defeated Easts squad. It was an encouraging performance before Vikings head into a bye with the final round of the season to be played against Royals at Phillip on 23rd July. It was another day full of milestones as Sione Taula played his 100th John I Dent Cup game for Vikings and License Club President and Colts coach David Assenheim celebrated a large milestone playing his 200th game for Vikings while running on for First Division 1st Grade.
The 2016 Hagar’s day celebrated some impressive highlights for Vikings over the past 43 years including, 40 years since our first grade team made the preliminary final, 25 years since our first John I Dent Cup Grand Final narrowly losing to Royals, 20 years ago Colts and 5th grade won premierships, 15 years ago 2nd grade and 4th grade won premierships and 10 short years ago we won premierships in 1st grade, 2nd grade and Colts.
Hagar’s day this year also raised an impressive $7,125, with over $6000 coming from the auctioning of the ‘Old Boys’ 20th Anniversary jumpers for Tayah Sidney, a wonderful 12 year old who is currently battling Acute Myeloid Leukaemia, a very rare form of Leukaemia for someone so young. Tayah’s dad, Jason ‘Sooka’ Sidney is a former Viking, and the funds raised last Saturday will all be assisting the single-dad’s finances as he continues to be by Tayah’s side.

First Division 1st Grade
86-12 defeated Easts
Vikings 86: Brian Kaio (5), Tom Carney (5), Kieran Norcott (10), David Assenheim (5), Marcus Malaestasi (15), Carlos Amar (5), William Crossing (5), Jovi Ong (5), Riley Banks (5), Nathan King (14 – 2 tries, 2 conversions), Michael Barnetson (12 – 6 conversions)

Premier 2nd Grade
85-5 defeated Easts
Vikings 85: Junior Sotogi (5), Andrew Talaina (5), Geoff Robertson (5), Joe Langtry (5), Tom Blencowe (10), Izzy Tittor (5), Sam Giltrap (32 – 6 tries, 1 conversion), Willoughby Axelson (16 – 8 conversions), Tateo Kanai (2 – Conversion)
MDP-Vikings-89-074A7218.jpg

Premier 1st Grade
86-0 defeated Easts
Vikings 86: Sione Taula (5), Callum Smith (5), Nic Murray (20), Andrew Robinson (10), Francis Fainifo (25), Ernest Suavi (5), Isaac Thompson (16 – 8 conversions)

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Round 16 Stampede -

http://d3kax65kav2deu.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Stampede-Round-16_website.pdf?836015

Most sides look fairly structured.

Whites again without half-backs Douch or Hawke - I didn't think these players were injured - so possibly away?

This is a big loss for the Whites. White again comes in to play a half-back but its not his natural position and with Dowestt playing for Uni this is an area Uni could target. Plus again they are without a goal-kicker - so hopefully the game does not come down to that.

Hopefully Douch and/or Hawke will be back in acouple of weeks for the Semi-finals.

Also Sok is out this week injured I believe.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
This is a big loss for the Whites. White again comes in to play a half-back but its not his natural position and with Dowestt playing for Uni this is an area Uni could target. Plus again they are without a goal-kicker - so hopefully the game does not come down to that.

White actually played 9 through Colts and for QBN 1st grade all year in 2014 and played there in the 2014 Grand Final. Last year was his first year at 10.

How specifically would Uni use Dowsett to go about targeting him?

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
White actually played 9 through Colts and for QBN 1st grade all year in 2014 and played there in the 2014 Grand Final. Last year was his first year at 10.

How specifically would Uni use Dowsett to go about targeting him?

Yea White had played No.9 and did a good job but believe he is a more natural 10/or 15 personally.

I guess with Dowsett's experience (even though I don't really rate him) and White's newly appointed position of 9 over the last couple of weeks - it could possibly give them the slight edge in this area.

returnofthe_greyhound

Frank Row (1)
I've fallen out of touch with this years forum and competition so forgive me if I'm a bit behind...been too busy with this greyhound ban mumbo jumbo.

Whatever happened to the trio of young halves that moved from Tuggeranong to Qbn a couple/few years back? Can't remember their names but from memory they were all pretty handy?? Thought they might be a chance of getting a run or am I behind the times

Either way, looking forward to getting out to the Uni v Qbn game this week...expecting Uni to front up for a big one

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I've fallen out of touch with this years forum and competition so forgive me if I'm a bit behind.been too busy with this greyhound ban mumbo jumbo.

Whatever happened to the trio of young halves that moved from Tuggeranong to Qbn a couple/few years back? Can't remember their names but from memory they were all pretty handy?? Thought they might be a chance of getting a run or am I behind the times

Either way, looking forward to getting out to the Uni v Qbn game this week.expecting Uni to front up for a big one

Welcome mate! You have come in at the right time I guess - pointy end of the season - acouple of front runners (Vikings, Whites), with a dark horse that could take it out (Eagles) - then Uni and Royals fighting it out to get that shot at the finals.

Not sure who you are referring to with the trio of young halves - maybe the other guys can give some insight.

Up the Whites today!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Noticed Keith JR Morgans name absent again this week.Injured?????

Possibly mate - he played last weekend and was fantastic in 2nd's - as I have said before - never trust the Stampede haha - I believe Hawke will be playing today also (possibly in replace of White at Half-Back).

When JR is 100% he is a clear front runner to be in the 1st grade side - this season has been very up and down for him from the looks of things - hopefully next season we will see him at his 100% best.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Possibly mate - he played last weekend and was fantastic in 2nd's - as I have said before - never trust the Stampede haha - I believe Hawke will be playing today also (possibly in replace of White at Half-Back).

When JR is 100% he is a clear front runner to be in the 1st grade side - this season has been very up and down for him from the looks of things - hopefully next season we will see him at his 100% best.

Thanks No 8. Have always been impressed with JRs defence in particular

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Whites 45 - Uni Norths 24

Whites were totally relentless today (well for 60 minutes anyway) - they were on fire.

As I mentioned never trust the Stampede - JR started at 13 for 1st grade and was fantastic - he will be playing there come finals time.

I was impressed by White at 9 to be honest - I think maybe I have changed my mind about him being at 10/15 - he outplayed Dowestt - How does Dowsett have a Brumbies contract? I thought maybe his experience will shine today and i'll give him the benefit of the doubt after Ive seen him play afew times before - but wow honestly he wouldn't even make the Vikings or Whites 1st grade sides - he is terrible. Douch played 15 for 2nd's which was interesting.

Whites forwards totally dominated the Uni forwards and nearly every scrum was a penalty to the Whites - Uni had no answer for the scrum.

Whites let in afew soft tries in towards the end but other than that they were fantastic.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
What were the 2nd grade scores

ACT Rugby Club Competition Round 16

Results

Premier Division

Queanbeyan v Uni Norths
1s Queanbeyan 45 Uni Norths 24
2s Queanbeyan 10 Uni Norths 9
Colts Queanbeyan 20 Uni Norths 17

Easts v Royals
1s Royals 39 Easts 20
2s Royals 22 Easts 10
Colts royals 20 Easts 0

Gungahlin v Wests
1s Gungahlin 40 Wests 19
2s Gungahlin 36 Wests 0
Colts Gungahlin 10 Wests 10

First division

Queanbeyan v Uni Norths
1s Uni Norths 31 Queanbeyan 12
2s Queanbeyan 47 Uni Norths 19

Easts v royals
1s Royals 66 Easts 18

Gungahlin v Wests
1s Gungahlin 74 Wests 5
2s Wests 48 Gungahlin 21

Goulburn v Young
1s Goulburn 47 Young 10
2s Young 55 Goulburn 21

Hall v Tuggeranong
1s Tuggeranong 31 Hall 14
2s Tuggeranong 63 Hall 19

Cooma v ADFA
1s Cooma 20 ADFA 0
2s Cooma 20 ADFA 0

Women's division

Tuggeranong 87 Gungahlin 5

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Whites 2nd grade looked like they were in 1st gear the whole game - they had some changes to the lineup with players either out or dropped down from 1st grade - so combo's were not as slick - Uni-Norths really took it to them and had a kick to win the game on the bell but missed.

The Whites 2nd grade side have only lost one game this year and that was to the Vikings - when the ref had stopped the game and then some how allowed the Vikings to do a quick tap and score - so really they are going through a pretty much unbeaten season.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Also I know I and others have gone on and on about it but Daniel Penca again put in a warrior like effort and the lines he runs off 10/12 are the best of any forward in the comp - with the upcoming Canberra Vikings Season - I just don't know what more he can do, to be included in the starting 23 - no other 7 in the comp is currently close to what he is bringing this season.

Again big mention to Oj Noa and Jones who are just huge around the field - at the moment Jones is the form No.6 in the comp and Oj is the form 8 - this back row is just insane.

Will be interesting to see if Oj Noa stays in Canberra/Queanbeyan next year if he isn't selected in the Canberra Vikings squad/or moves forward with the Brumbies - I know they have Sok to cover 8 but I hope he stays at Queanbeyan.

Does anyone know how old Sok is now? early 30's?

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Whites 2nd grade looked like they were in 1st gear the whole game - they had some changes to the lineup with players either out or dropped down from 1st grade - so combo's were not as slick - Uni-Norths really took it to them and had a kick to win the game on the bell but missed.

The Whites 2nd grade side have only lost one game this year and that was to the Vikings - when the ref had stopped the game and then some how allowed the Vikings to do a quick tap and score - so really they are going through a pretty much unbeaten season.

Hmmm sorry No8 that's like saying "I nearly scored a try".
Anyway as the Vikings proved last year, unbeaten does not mean unbeatable.

For the sake of an argument, lets assume the Whites and Vikings meet come GF day in 2nds (No offence Eagles). What 1st graders will be pushed down with the return of Brumbies /injuries etc. Which side will benefit most. You only have to look at the Vikings already with Sam Giltrap there the last couple of weeks and scoring 10 tries.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Hmmm sorry No8 that's like saying "I nearly scored a try".
Anyway as the Vikings proved last year, unbeaten does not mean unbeatable.

For the sake of an argument, lets assume the Whites and Vikings meet come GF day in 2nds (No offence Eagles). What 1st graders will be pushed down with the return of Brumbies /injuries etc. Which side will benefit most. You only have to look at the Vikings already with Sam Giltrap there the last couple of weeks and scoring 10 tries.

Haha - yea I know what you mean mate - I guess I meant they have won every other game and lost a game from a reffing mistake - i.e they were not outplayed.

In some way I was sort of hoping that Uni would kick that goal at the death to win the game to put some more fire in the belly - but one thing that was noticeable is that a number of times they were saying on field we are going to face times like this in the final - so they are a smart side that is thinking about these things - which is good to see.

It's hard to say who will get the most out of the Brumbies coming back, Vikings maybe? but really who will they get back? The John I Dent Grand Final is a week before the 1st Wallabies Test so the Wallabies wont be there. It might possibly only be Butler, Ah Wong, Powell, the young no.12 who is playing with them now anyway - they are great players but not the difference between 2nd grand winning a grand final with the players moving down or 1st's winning.

Les Makin, Coleman, Wells, the other outside back - can't think of his name - for the Whites.

The Whites players have played more John I Dent this year so possibly giving them the edge?

Going to be a total cracker in 2 weeks time. . . . Vikings V Whites - Major semi-final.

Status
Not open for further replies.