• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Jones bombs Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'll probably be crucified for this but he's probably right.
He's exceptional at some things and amazingly average at others. Kicking and passing included.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Jones is right, IMO.
As if Byrne would say anything other than what he said: besides which his boss (Cheika) thinks Folau is so good he can play anywhere any time at any level.
In addition to Sully's complaints I would add that he cannot run straight and this impacts on all his outside men.
He should be on the wing - whether you sugar coat that as they did on Kick and Chase as beating blokes one on one or pitch as it is - he won't impact anyone else if he chooses to run across field on the wing. Only drawback is he's not super quick.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Who gives the slightest fuck about what Alan Jones says about anything in this world....

His very considerable audience. Sadly. And of course a number of politicians. It was largely his intervention that caused the Newman Government to be kicked out, in their first term, having absolutely demolished Labor. And Newman lost his own seat.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
His very considerable audience. Sadly. And of course a number of politicians. It was largely his intervention that caused the Newman Government to be kicked out, in their first term, having absolutely demolished Labor. And Newman lost his own seat.

Regrettably you are right.
For the sake of the fans its no bad thing that he is on the side of the Force v ARU

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I'll probably be crucified for this but he's probably right.
He's exceptional at some things and amazingly average at others. Kicking and passing included.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

I (partially) agree with you Sully. I don't think he's "exceptional" at anything, maybe he's better than average at taking the high balls, but hey, he's paid to be good at a lot more than that!
I think Israel Folau has 'developed' into a very average Wallaby. Given his comments, maybe Mick Byrne is part of our problem?!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

Actually it was the Newman Government's own incompetence but don't let that interfere with the Jones rant.

And no I do not like Jones, he annoys the crap out of me.

What he said on Folau is what a large number have been saying for a long time. I will stand corrected about thinking a move to 13 would be good (I was told but argued the point very wrongly it turns out), but I did not reckon on his inability to pass effectively and we have discovered a totally inability to position support players (when there actually are any in cooee).

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
There aren't too many high profile people left that care. I've little time for him but it's nice to have someone talking about this to a wider audience.

Saying who cares what he thinks doesn't mean he isn't right on occasion.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Saying who cares what he thinks doesn't mean he isn't right on occasion.

Quite.
The problem with embracing him when he supports a view you have is that he insufferable when he is against you.
His "interview" with Sauer went for nearly 10 minutes but Sauer did not speak for the first 4.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I (partially) agree with you Sully. I don't think he's "exceptional" at anything, maybe he's better than average at taking the high balls, but hey, he's paid to be good at a lot more than that!
I think Israel Folau has 'developed' into a very average Wallaby. Given his comments, maybe Mick Byrne is part of our problem?!
Let's be fair folau a few seasons ago was excellent but with dip in form not kicked on...I think the coaches should shoulder some blame here plus playing in a woeful tahs side has not helped. If people think we would be better if folau joined union they would be not recognising his brand and marketing value as well. Ok Folau been a bit hit and miss last little while but he is hardly the only tahs player in that camp. Let's not start turning against the few stars in our game.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

I think Byrne maybe partially towing the company line and / or thinking how Folau could perform if in the NZ system or can see his potential. Doesn't matter how good he is if he can't deliver it the majority of the time he on the paddock.

T

TOCC

I don't see why people are getting so defensive, Jones said nothing which hasn't been said previously in this forum, although he has said it in a tone and manner which most sports journalists in Australia have avoided.

I like the Greg Growdens and Alan Jones, they aren't afraid to say what they think, whether it's correct or people agree is another issue altogether. Don't read the material if you don't like it.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Let's be fair folau a few seasons ago was excellent but with dip in form not kicked on.I think the coaches should shoulder some blame here plus playing in a woeful tahs side has not helped. If people think we would be better if folau joined union they would be not recognising his brand and marketing value as well. Ok Folau been a bit hit and miss last little while but he is hardly the only tahs player in that camp. Let's not start turning against the few stars in our game.

Don't think he has ever really recovered from the ankle injury in Oct 2015. Lost a yard and now tries to do too much to compensate

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
I don't think you can question Folau athletic ability but you are only as good as your last game

Status
Not open for further replies.