• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

June 2014 Internationals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
We're playing them in four month's time. :p

Well then with any luck it will be the final game to clinch the Grand Slam....

No blooding players, no losing midweek games, no losses to Scotland, I want the toughest team on the park and I want to put these teams to the sword....

Back on topic, tests against the French are always interesting....Bring it on.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
With you on that one, Jxxx++. The afternoon test against the Welsh at the SFS last year was both packed and extremely enjoyable. If anything a French test would draw fewer numbers. Homebush should be reserved for AB and Bokke tests only (and BILs).

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Well then with any luck it will be the final game to clinch the Grand Slam..

No blooding players, no losing midweek games, no losses to Scotland, I want the toughest team on the park and I want to put these teams to the sword..

Back on topic, tests against the French are always interesting..Bring it on.

So when is Link ever going to blood some new players? You want to take the current squad who has caps to the next world cup than good luck to you.

It's time to blood some players and this tour is the perfect chance for Link to do it and try some new combo's and get the Wallabies playing a Link style of Rugby.

Yes, winning a grand slam tour would be good. But at the end of the day there is no trophy for it, time the Wallabies started testing new players and preparing a core squad for the 2015 World Cup. After all it's the World Cup and Bledisloe Cup that the fans want to see in the ARU trophy cabinet.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
With you on that one, Jxxx++. The afternoon test against the Welsh at the SFS last year was both packed and extremely enjoyable. If anything a French test would draw fewer numbers. Homebush should be reserved for AB and Bokke tests only (and BILs).

As a Bondi resident, I reckon the French are putting a good challenge on for ex-pat numbers. Not as many as the Poms, but there are a bloody lot of them.

Whether they watch rugby is a different story.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So when is Link ever going to blood some new players? You want to take the current squad who has caps to the next world cup than good luck to you.

It's time to blood some players and this tour is the perfect chance for Link to do it and try some new combo's and get the Wallabies playing a Link style of Rugby.

Yes, winning a grand slam tour would be good. But at the end of the day there is no trophy for it, time the Wallabies started testing new players and preparing a core squad for the 2015 World Cup. After all it's the World Cup and Bledisloe Cup that the fans want to see in the ARU trophy cabinet.

Blood the new players by playing a game against one of the nations ranked between 10 and 20 on the IRB ladder while on the way to the tour, or on the way home ie Canada, Japan, USA, Romania, Georgia, USSR etc. Throw in a mix of grizzled old veterans with your young guns and Bob's your Uncle. No risk to your main draw cards who need their recovery breaks. They can do all the sponsor stuff, schmoozing, sign autographs for the kiddies, visit hospitals and run coaching clinics for the local lads. Everyone's a winner.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Looking forward to all of these tours! None of them lopsided, England will be looking for their second win in 10 years in the southern hemisphere. France will want to redisplay their dominance (or see it continue, depending on the 6N). Wales will be wanting to show that if the Lions had gone to RSA, they would have smashed them.

But my pick has to be Argentina v Ireland. Both teams are exciting and always have a crack. They can play super expansive or super conservative when required. Nobody will be let down and Rugby will be the winner.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Hopefully AAMI Park and the SFS are used for this series, I can't see France drawing a huge crowd to Eithad or Homebush.

The ARU has a 10 year agreement to play international rugby at the SFS beginning with the Wales Test in 2012. The Bledisloe will be out at Homebush and the June Test is likely to be the one at the SFS (hopefully in the afternoon as well!).

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
This 10 year deal business is bs for anyone who follows the game out side Sydney and Brisbane to be honest.

Yes, I am happy Melbourne is getting a test and hope its at Aami park. Advertise it as the first rugby international in the stadium and draw the crowd that way and have a atmosphere instead of a half full Ethihad.

I'm fine knowing Melbourne is not going to get the Bledisloe even though the Wallabies have a good record in Melbourne.

Really think it's about time the ARU start spreading some test's ACT and Perth's way at least. These 3 match series are when you can play around the country and promote the game to the other rugby followers outside of the 2 strong holds. Give them the big games but play the rest around the country.

When was the last test in ACT? 2010. I'm sure some of these Brumbies who are playing for the Wallabies would love to play a test match in front of there supporters who are there week in week out.

Adelaide has not had a test match since the 2003 World Cup. That's just over 1 million people who have not had a chance to go to a rugby game for a decade.

Yes you will probably piss some people in Sydney and Brisbane who do go to the 2 tests a year but it will spread the game and grow interest. Also bring some tourism into these smaller cities.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How would the numbers go for an inbound tour of the USA Eagles or Russia playing in the likes of Adelaide, Darwin, Melbourne, etc against Wallaby Trial teams? Would they break even ?

Status
Not open for further replies.