• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Junior Waratahs squad for Fiji

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
the gambler said:
Least Inman is only 19/20. Azar and Lavin are probably past the point where you could say a year or two and they might come good.
Lavin would only be about 22 wouldn't he? Exceptional player at schools level, so it's good to see he is getting a chance on this tour.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
spectator said:
the gambler said:
Least Inman is only 19/20. Azar and Lavin are probably past the point where you could say a year or two and they might come good.
Lavin would only be about 22 wouldn't he? Exceptional player at schools level, so it's good to see he is getting a chance on this tour.

No, he isn't - Mitch Inman was picked and we were saying Lavin is better.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Should learn to read shouldn't I. :-[Don't know anything about Inman, but my comments on LaVin stand. I've been surprised that he hasn't kicked on.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That Jared hyphenated surname guy was on the bench for the U20s not too long ago. He can't be a sure thing for first grade next year can he?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agree with naza that LaVin is a better player than Mitch Inman is at this point but Mitch is always going to be a 12 and LaVin is a 13. We should have been comparing LaVin to Kellam, another young bloke.

It was good to get LaVin back from league but we could lose him again if he doesn't get recognition at a NSW tour level. Perhaps Hickey is going with Kellam because he knows him from Eastwood.

PS - Scott Fardy has been added to to the tour squad though I don't know why. Should have been picked in the first place.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I think that the ARC did exactly what it had to do as far as revealing talent is concerned. It also did the contrary job of revealing that some guys weren?t good enough to step up.

Most of the Tahs 2008 S14 squad had been finalised by the time the 2007 ARC started but it was a good tool to decide which players would be next cabs off the rank in case the S14 players had to be replaced through injury during the comp. These guys got professional contracts in the NSW Academy in December 2007, or the ?Junior Waratahs? as they are called now.

As an interesting digression ;D here are the 9 guys who got professional Academy contracts after the ARC:

Adam Byrnes ? poached by the Reds
Laurie Weeks ? poached by the Reds
Ben Coridas ? is on the Fiji tour
Al Manning ? used off the bench during the S14; overlooked for Fiji tour
Lachlan Mitchell ? playing in Europe
Daniel Palmer - used off the bench in the S14 and is on the Fiji tour; has 3 year Tahs contract.
Andrew Smith ? is on the Fiji tour
Chris Thomson ? is on the Fiji tour
Patrick McCutcheon ? dunno ? has gone off the radar at Sydney Uni.

Not counting S14 regulars, these guys also played in the ARC and are in the Fiji tour squad:
Rowan Kellam
Ofa Fainga'anuku
Ed Jenkins
Nathan Sievert
Scott Fardy

So that?s quite a few players, not S14 regulars, who played in the ARC and are going to Fiji.

If you mean that the ARC should have produced more players you hadn?t heard about before, well, most players in the ARC had to be heard about else they wouldn?t have been picked for the ARC.

If you mean that you thought there would be more players who jumped out of their skin in the ARC to be noticed for future honours ? you are right there. The only ones I can think of are Ben Alexander, who was already stitched up by the Brumbies, and Ross Duncan, who you mentioned - plus you could probably put Danya Edwards, poached by the Reds, in that category too.

Duncan plays for my Rats club team and has the heart of a warrior in a small man?s body. He?s a case of a fellow who was a star in the ARC, but not big enough to be considered for the S14 by the Tahs. If Waugh and Beau Robinson were not already Tahs regulars and Coridas not able to play 7 and also be a lineout option, things could have been different.

He?s a fellow that the Reds may be interested in if they are looking for a fetcher and they have room.

As for JWH, the other fellow you mentioned: for a young bloke he was decent for the Rays in the ARC and not a star as Duncan was, but it wasn?t his fault he was called another SBW by some plank journalist. He would have been a candidate to go on the Fiji tour had he improved this year in rugby union, but he went to league instead.

You are right in saying that the non-pro ARC players couldn?t match the pro ARC players physically. Aerobically they weren?t too bad after running around in Sydney club rugby under the new ELVs, but they couldn?t match the pros in other areas.

But S14 coaches didn?t expect they would, and had to look beyond what they saw on the park. They always knew that they would have to get them in their pro Academies and work them for a year or two before they?d be effective at the S14 level. Even Ben Alexander, the star find of the ARC, got very little time in the S14 this year.

Agree with formeropenside that the standard would have improved after a few years. I said before the ARC started that it would take 3-4 years to bed down, to weed out the dud players and dud coaches, and a year or two for amateurs to get a bit of physical conditioning.

P

PhucNgo

formeropenside said:
the gambler said:
I know its against the rules to criticise the ARC but shouldnt it have done a better job in showing up players who could have been picked for a tour such as this?

Who were the promising players picked up from it? Whats happened to players such as Ross Duncan and that league Jared guy. Too be honest I cant remember any of you guys mentioning any other non super 14 players standing out. Is that because the class/conditioning gap between amateur club players and professional Super players was too great. Did these amateur players need a couple of years of semi pro work to catch up? Interested to hear your thoughts.

Ben Alexander, Dayna Edwards. Probably helped Mowen get a shot at NSW and Siale move to Qld. Big Ratu had a run around for the Spirit I think but was largely unsighted, but perhaps it helped develop him for next season at Randwick, where he made a big impression despite not looking the best in Bris or Perth club rugby.

I am surprised a few of the hookers - Josh Mann-Rea, who had a good set piece, and Jade Ingham, in the mould of Freier but better, were not picked up by the Force or Brumbies, both being rather short of hookers. Even Al Manning looked good.

And yes, I think the standard would have improved over time if the ARC had continued on for some time.

Some I can think of who've kicked on from (or because of) the ARC. Ben Coridas (Rams -> Waratahs) , Rory Sidey (Rams -> O/S), Lachlan Mitchell (Rams -> O/S), Sam Wykes (Rams -> Western Force), Luke Burgess (Rebels -> Waratahs and Wallabies), Keiran Longbottom (Spirit -> Western Force).

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
As I wrote somewhere else (the Tahs thread probably) Scott Fardy was added to the tour party.

I read in the paper today that there have been others added, mostly due to injury.

Those out are listed followed by the names of their replacements.

4/5 Will Caldwell - Scott Fardy (Rats)
9 Nathan Sievert - Vinnie Byrne (Gordon - poached from Rats)
1 Ofa Fainga'anuku - Aaron Tawera (Easts)

A development player, Lachlan McCaffery, from Chris Hickey's Eastwood club has also been added to the team.

Young Lachlan would be virtually unknown to the average Sydney club fan as he was still at school last year. He made the Oz A Schools team playing no.8 and I remember posting that he was a bit unlucky not to make the 1sts.

Eastwood put him straight into grade rugby and he has been playing in 2nd Grade behind the likes of Josh Dunning and sometimes Gareth Palamo. He has been in the Junior Waratahs all year as an amateur.

None of this is very interesting but it gives Tahs fans an idea of what the pecking order is in a few positions.

Geez, Will Caldwell has been back from injury only about 5 minutes, so I hope that he's not out as long as he was before.

Interesting that Vinnie Byrne is considered the best available alternative to Sievert.

D

domestica

HSBC Junior Waratahs v Nadi
Monday, 6 October 2008 (Kick-off 6:30pm FJT, 5:30pm AEDT)
Prince Charles Park, Nadi
1. Aaron Tawera (Eastern Suburbs)
2. Elvis Levi (Penrith)
3. Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University)
4. Steve Mafi (Parramatta)
5. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts)
6. Scott Fardy (Warringah)
7. Ben Coridas (Eastwood)
8. Ben Mowen (Randwick)
9. Vinnie Byrne (Gordon)
10. Kurtley Beale (Northern Suburbs)
11. Ratu Nasiganiyavi (Randwick)
12. Rowan Kellam (Eastwood)
13. Andrew Smith (Northern Suburbs)
14. Ed Jenkins (Sydney University)
15. Ben Batger (Eastwood)
Reserves
Damien Fitzpatrick (Eastwood), Rob McMicken (Eastern Suburbs), Dan Palmer (Southern Districts), Chris Thomson (Northern Suburbs), Lachlan McCaffrey (Eastwood), Beau Robinson (Warringah), Jeremy Su'a (Penrith), Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University), David Tautaiolefue (West Harbour), Mitch Inman (Sydney University), Sam Norton-Knight (Northern Suburbs).

Obviously not full strength. Vinnie Byrne being our best available 9 is a bit of a laugh.

T

TOCC

PhucNgo said:
formeropenside said:
the gambler said:
I know its against the rules to criticise the ARC but shouldnt it have done a better job in showing up players who could have been picked for a tour such as this?

Who were the promising players picked up from it? Whats happened to players such as Ross Duncan and that league Jared guy. Too be honest I cant remember any of you guys mentioning any other non super 14 players standing out. Is that because the class/conditioning gap between amateur club players and professional Super players was too great. Did these amateur players need a couple of years of semi pro work to catch up? Interested to hear your thoughts.

Ben Alexander, Dayna Edwards. Probably helped Mowen get a shot at NSW and Siale move to Qld. Big Ratu had a run around for the Spirit I think but was largely unsighted, but perhaps it helped develop him for next season at Randwick, where he made a big impression despite not looking the best in Bris or Perth club rugby.

I am surprised a few of the hookers - Josh Mann-Rea, who had a good set piece, and Jade Ingham, in the mould of Freier but better, were not picked up by the Force or Brumbies, both being rather short of hookers. Even Al Manning looked good.

And yes, I think the standard would have improved over time if the ARC had continued on for some time.

Some I can think of who've kicked on from (or because of) the ARC. Ben Coridas (Rams -> Waratahs) , Rory Sidey (Rams -> O/S), Lachlan Mitchell (Rams -> O/S), Sam Wykes (Rams -> Western Force), Luke Burgess (Rebels -> Waratahs and Wallabies), Keiran Longbottom (Spirit -> Western Force).

Luke Mclean (Spirit -> Italy national side)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I wouldn't worry too much about losing Luke McLean. He's not even related to THE McLean family.

He's a goodish fullback that may have got in a S14 squad one day as a back up, but he'll never set the 6N on fire.

T

TOCC

regards luke mclean, his actually a 5/8 who can also play fullback,j i used to watch him during schoolboy and juniors days and i rated him over Ben Lucas any day of the week, unfortunately for luke his family wasnt involved as Lucas's family was in the rugby fraternity and therefore didnt get the accolades he deserved.

He would have being a fantastic fullback for the Reds in 09 had they offered him a contract, but the Italian gigged jumped up and it was to hard for a young bloke to dismiss

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Dan H's perspective:

How were the matches over there? Give us a brief of the tour?

The touring squad was thrown together in about a week so preparation was limited. We weren

Status
Not open for further replies.