• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kids outside activities and games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Decided to start this one and one thing I like about the Scarf is that myself can feel free to start this kind of threads without some vokker try to be funny and kill the whole idea of the thread like on TSF.

Myself grow up in the time when we dont had the curses of the modern day kid. That is TV and computor and todays kids spent most of their time in front of them. Luckily my lot I always love outside playing and enjoying our lovely weather in SA. So my aim is always to try and motivate them away from inside. Watching my small one I love the games the kid plays with a ball but also many many more games and even in the pool now that summer is around the corner.

In my days we would play with everything like make horses and osse with bones or what we call wegkruipertjie (hide away) and many many more. Still believe the best way of teaching a kid hand eye co-ordination is let him climbing trees.

I like to know what the kids play at your place these days .

R

rugbywhisperer

I agree. I am very old school and my kids (3 boys) all grew up knowing they were boys.
They climbed trees, had all sorts of fun. We even had good old family rock fights.
Very uncool in this politically correct era.
We are all also very tight, my eldest in the Army still calls every day and we talk about good stuff. I never miss a game and training session if I can help it. Never missed a sports carnival either.
Also, I think the best thing a dad can do, particularly with a son is get out there and kick a ball around or just have fun together.
There are too many negaitive distractions for kids these days, particularly on the Gold Coast and having a good gorounding is so important.
Run them till they are buggered and they are too tired to get into mischief.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Myself think the best ball ever made is the good old tennis ball. Dont cost a fortune but sure is the one that our kids and myself was a kid sort of use in many ways and dont cost a fortune. In SA you buy them like in a carry type of bag and myself always have one of that bags in the cupboard. You can play soccer, touchies, cricket and many more games with it. Watching the kids played around the pool with one and they play one called "Brand Bal" meaning burn ball. The one thats on fire have to throw the others and if they hit them a new is the fireman. My kid is small and statute and not easy to hit and he sure can throw a ball. Before I knew I join in just to help his friend out and wasnt a good thing because nowadays I am a biggies target and not that quick as in the old days. leaving myself with some scars. My backyard always change into some cricket or hockey or rugby pitch daily and myself pretty sure this is where they learns some serious skills. I'll always have to pick up the dog"s "slagysters" before the games stars but never have a problem with that.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thought this one will get some attention but no dice. What the hell are yur lot kiddies doing when they not in front of TV or PC?

OK Nick still on nappy training. :nta:

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
One thing I like about where my small kid is at school and told my Mrs many times no matter if my work post me to the south pole, he will going to boarding school and stay right here. They love playing cricket, handjie tennis, touchies or brand bal during intervals or before school start. When you walk to the offices its one of the best sights to see them squatter all over the ground with their games.

Do the kids play yo yo in yur parts?

Myself learn that one as a kid and can do all those tricks. The kids cant believe when Oom show them a baby in a "wiegie" or a around the world or "hondjie byt" exct.

R

rugbywhisperer

Gee wiz Paarl, haven't seen a yo yo for years, which probably means they will be back soon.
My son (youngest - 2 others left school) attends a private school and I have the same feeling as you, he will continue at that school no matter what.
On the plus side he is an above average rugby player and one of the fastest sprinters in the country for his age, so this school suites him perfectly. Rugby and sprinting. He would like to do more sports and certainly the school caters for it but there really isn't the time after rugby training now.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Well cant wait for the summer holiday in a weeks time. Thats when I have time to play a bit of beach cricket, touchies (last year I lost a knee and could not walk for weeks) and play some rummy and monopoly with the kids. Thats IF I have enough time between running with few drinks and making food on the fire , exct.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
A big problem that is starting to appear, Paarl, is the death of backyards in suburban areas. With space at a premium, new housing developments don't have any space to kick a ball or have a hit of cricket. This is such a sad thing, as I grew up in houses with big backyards that could accomodate a cruching cover drive or a well-weighted bomb.

So now a lot of kids have to play in the street or go to the park if they want to run around- this is generally too hard when compared with the computer, TV or Xbox, so they stay inside. This is where the parents come in, either by buing a house with a real backyard, or forcing their kids outside.

It just sickens me when I see new 'homeworld' style developments popping up- two story mcMansions with rendered brick walls and absolutely no backyard at all. It is an absolute tragedy.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Pretty sad but thats the way it goes these days. My house is just a few blocks from Paarl Gyms sports ground (where Jean de Villiers plays his touchies when home) so the kids can walk there. Myself pretty lucky regarding kids safety after Paarl nominate as the safest for kids in SA altho my oldest one was held gun point and my girl being robbed out of her mobile and purse. The small one way to quick and nippy for a bergie. He will sidestep and knock them over.

Status
Not open for further replies.