• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kurtley Beale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
:kurtley: In the SMH:

Another Wallaby to face criminal charge
December 16, 2009

FIRST it was Quade Cooper. Now the Australian Rugby Union has been rocked by allegations against another young Test playmaker of tomorrow, Kurtley Beale, whose immediate playing future has been placed in jeopardy after being charged with assault. Beale, the 20-year-old Waratahs five-eighth, who made his Wallabies Test debut just last month, has been charged with common assault over what is understood to be an alleged domestic violence incident arising from a family birthday party in western Sydney in July. Beale is due to face Mt Druitt Local Court on January 13. It is understood the complaint was made by his female cousin, though it is believed that no injuries were reported. Beale's agent, Isaac Moses, and the barrister representing him, Stephen Stanton, were unavailable for comment last night but, an ARU statement says the five-eighth plans to fight the charge. ''Kurtley has told us he will vigorously defend the charge and denies the allegation,'' said a spokesman last night. ''He is entitled under the justice system to the presumption of innocence.'' Beale will not return to Waratahs training until the matter airs in court. Cooper's future also remains unclear, despite his plans to fight allegations he broke into a Surfers Paradise home on December 6 and stole two laptops in the hours after attending teammate Peter Hynes's buck's party. His case in Southport Magistrates Court has been adjourned until July.

Is this a new story or did I just miss it when it happened in July?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
its new, apparantly pushed his cousin over at a family bbq, him and quade are still locked in a battle to one up each other!

Wallaby Beale charged with assault
resizer.aspx

Emerging Wallaby Kurtley Beale is facing an assault charge, the second Australian rugby squad player to attract a legal problem in less than a week.

Fairfax reported on Wednesday that Beale, the 20-year-old Waratahs five-eighth, has been charged with common assault over what is understood to be an alleged domestic violence incident arising from a family birthday party in western Sydney in July.

Beale is due to face Mt Druitt Local Court on January 13 and will not return to NSW training until after that date.

Fairfax understood the complaint was made by his female cousin but no injuries were reported.

Beale's agent, Isaac Moses, and the barrister representing him, Stephen Stanton, were unavailable for comment but an ARU spokesman said the five-eighth plans to fight the charge.

"Kurtley has told us he will vigorously defend the charge and denies the allegation," said the spokesman.

"He is entitled under the justice system to the presumption of innocence."

Beale made his Test debut just last month on the European tour.

National teammate Quade Cooper is also fighting charges in Queensland.

He will defend allegations he broke into a Surfers Paradise home on December 6 and stole two laptops in the hours after attending teammate Peter Hynes's buck's party.

His case in Southport Magistrates Court has been adjourned until July.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/984246/wallaby-beale-charged-with-assault

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
From the DT....

RISING Wallabies and Waratahs back Kurtley Beale has been charged with common assault following an incident that is alleged to have occurred at a family birthday party back in July.

The 20-year-old was charged on Friday and is due to appear in court on January 13. Beale has spoken to officials over the past 24 hours, saying he strenuously denies the allegation and that he will vigorously defend the charge.

The Daily Telegraph understands the matter is classified as a domestic violence issue and the complainant is believed to be female cousin.

Beale is currently on leave after touring with the Wallabies on their recent spring tour and is not due to resume training with the Waratahs until mid-January.

"As a result of the discussions with Kurtley we have reached a mutual agreement that, as the court appearance follows only a few days after his scheduled return to Waratahs training, it would be sensible for him to stay on leave until after the court appearance," an ARU spokesman said.

"Under ARU code of conduct protocol the matter will also be referred to a disciplinary tribunal established by NSW Rugby Union. However, any review by a rugby disciplinary tribunal under the code of conduct would only follow resolution of the matter in the courts."

Beale was a schoolboy star who attended the famous rugby nursery St Joseph's College and has had his rugby career under the spotlight since he was 13.

He made his Super 14 debut for the Waratahs in his first year out of school, playing 10 matches in 2007 and representing Australia A the same season.

He was one of the young players to excel on the Wallabies' spring tour of Europe and, after starring with a two-try performance on the wing against Cardiff Blues, earned his first Test cap as a replacement in the final Test, a victory over Wales.

He is shaping up as a key backline figure for the Waratahs in next season's Super 14.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...h-common-assault/story-e6frey4i-1225810755025

S

Spook

Doesn't sound like much. A bitter cousin trying to fuck him up?

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
Spook said:
Doesn't sound like much. A bitter cousin trying to fuck him up?

yeah and why did it take so long to charge him? happened back in july ffs.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Cmon, who hasn't pushed over a cousin at a BBQ? and to take them to court over it! How about just saying sorry?

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
smells of bullshit to me. nothing will come of this. if it was seriously problem it would have come out months ago.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
I bet she saw the shitstorm that erupted over QC (Quade Cooper)'s charging and decided she could blackmail him into giving her cash. I'm not saying that's why he pushed her over, I'm saying that's why she's bringing it up now. Looking for a settlement. I'm guessing there wasn't a lot in it in the first place.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
is it just me or does the term "common" in "common assault" make it seem more dirty than just "assault"
makes it seem low brow!

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I'm not jumping to any conclusions until this tender female relation from Mont Druitt has had her rightful day in court.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
Moses said:
Cmon, who hasn't pushed over a cousin at a BBQ? and to take them to court over it! How about just saying sorry?

Agreed. FFS people are running around stabbing people to death and the police and the courts have enough time to deal with this?

T

TOCC

kurtley paying a visit to Mt Druit Police Station again, surely his on a first name basis by now :lmao:

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
TOCC said:
kurtley paying a visit to Mt Druit Police Station again, surely his on a first name basis by now :lmao:

vs

TOCC said:
jeez some people are quick to throw a few snide remarks about without actually knowing anything about what happened..

Seriously though, he has been charged but he hasnt been found guilty, which indicates so far that there is enough evidence to persue the case, but he isnt yet guilty.

For all we know it could have been some stupid gag or misunderstanding, until his found guilty i think some people should keep there shirts on and stop jumping to conclusions on something they know nothing about.

and

TOCC said:
chief said:
As for Wycliff Palu- Ewen McKenzie and that St George Coach found out the full story of the incident and were actually beyond pleased to have him. I actually believe Palu's case there his friend was being picked on by the police. Now this isn't about my attitudes towards the police but Cooper's actions were not those of friendship they were those of stupidity, and pure arrogance.
so i guess you know what exactly happened then?

one of my gripes in life is people jumping to conclusions about stuff they know nothing about, although im sure in Palu's case im sure the families of every potential victim on the roads that day were more then happy it happened since it was for the sake of one of his mates.

and it goes on....

I guess the principles go out the window when the accused isn't wearing red?

T

TOCC

Gagger said:
TOCC said:

vs

TOCC said:
jeez some people are quick to throw a few snide remarks about without actually knowing anything about what happened..

Seriously though, he has been charged but he hasnt been found guilty, which indicates so far that there is enough evidence to persue the case, but he isnt yet guilty.

For all we know it could have been some stupid gag or misunderstanding, until his found guilty i think some people should keep there shirts on and stop jumping to conclusions on something they know nothing about.

and

TOCC said:
chief said:
As for Wycliff Palu- Ewen McKenzie and that St George Coach found out the full story of the incident and were actually beyond pleased to have him. I actually believe Palu's case there his friend was being picked on by the police. Now this isn't about my attitudes towards the police but Cooper's actions were not those of friendship they were those of stupidity, and pure arrogance.
so i guess you know what exactly happened then?

one of my gripes in life is people jumping to conclusions about stuff they know nothing about, although im sure in Palu's case im sure the families of every potential victim on the roads that day were more then happy it happened since it was for the sake of one of his mates.

and it goes on....

I guess the principles go out the window when the accused isn't wearing red?

Gagger, im just trying to fit in with everyone else and ignore the facts

S

straightshooter

poor bugger - probably the worst case I'be seen where a player has been "TARGETED"
Heard that years ago the Broncos when going out in a group always had a couple of "handlers" who would step in and diffuse some goose who wanted to make a big man of himself by abusing a player and trying to fight him etc etc. Seems that some job opportunities may abound for such positions.

it is a shame that players often cannot step out without some idiot giving them some stick and if they retaliate THEY are the ones that get into trouble - some perspective is required

Just my opinion

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
waratahjesus said:
is it just me or does the term "common" in "common assault" make it seem more dirty than just "assault"
makes it seem low brow!

Zeno said:
By my sketchy understanding, the charge of "common assault" reflects that the matter is driven by a complaint rather than by the police. He hasn't been charged with breaking a law so the SMH headline "Another Wallaby to face criminal charge" is wrong.

I decided to go look this up when I got some spare time.

From what I can gather from the NSW Crimes Act a "Common Assault" is an assault that doesn't actually occasion any 'actual bodily harm'. (s61 Crimes Act 1900 (NSW)). So yes, he's been charged with a crime; with a 2 year maximum imprisonment. http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/fragview/inforce/act+40+1900+pt.3-div.9+0+N?tocnav=y

There is the possibility for an action in Tort for Assault, which is sometimes referred to as "Common Law Assault", which may have caused the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.