• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Leadership in Australian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Further to my previous rant in the the QC (Quade Cooper) thread...

Interested in hearing people's thoughts on the current make up of the leaders in different segments of our game.

I, for one, am quietly excited about the Tim Gavin, Roger Davies, Michael Cheika, Alan Gaffney make up at the Waratahs. I would be very surprised if we hear much at all 'externally' about rumblings/issues. These blokes look like they will run the ship pretty tight.

I think back to days when John McKay was a highly regarded Wallabies manager under a sometimes awkward and insular Rod Maqueen. There are plenty of players who claim that John really held things together during those successful years.

Who is the current Wallabies 'manager'? Whoever he is he has been a failure in recent times. It appears no one has any control whatsoever over the playing squad, their attitude, their willingness to put the team before anything else etc.

And don't start me on O'Neill. His insistence to hide in his little cubby house a top the ARU building instead of rolling up his sleeves and being a true leader with some balls and some resolve has damaged our game immensely.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
One of my all time favourite wallabies, Rob Egerton is wallabies manager.
None of us has any idea what John O'Neil does maybe we should look at his job description before we criticize too much. Just because he's not in the news every day doesn't mean that he isn't doing his job

Sent using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah, Rob Egerton has been a very capable coach and manager of players in the past. The "problems" have consistently come from a couple of sources, and I think reflect more on those players at those times than the player manager. Most of the time, most of the players are not being complete knobs.
And no, I am not mostly referring to Quade here!

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
In the early 90s I was playing one of my first games of rugby. I blew a sitter of a try with no one around to tackle me, I dropped the ball cold over the line. I was so disappointed with myself, a guy close to me on the side line quietly said, 'Don't worry mate, you'll be back down here again shortly'. It was Rob Egerton. Although I was new to the game I knew who he was because of the 1991 RWC. I was amazed that a Wallaby would be watching a game as lowly as the one I was playing in. It was my first introduction to the culture of rugby and one of the reasons I have followed the game ever since.

It's the little things that players (or administrators) do, that may be completely insignificant to them, but those actions can have a profound effect on the supporters. It doesn't have to be a grand gesture. Sometimes it's the little things.

Status
Not open for further replies.