• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Proposed Nations Championship

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
If NZ and SA are intent on going off and doing their own thing every 4 years it will force RA to at least be a little creative. In those years we could hold a state of origin match/series or do something with Japan (or both) to fill the gap. It probably makes sense to hitch our wagon to Japan. Their domestic league is doing really well, getting some good crowds, and obviously featuring some of the best players in the world. And the Brave Blossoms are competitive and entertaining. I could imagine a 2 or 3 game home and away series with Japan in 2026 doing pretty well, especially if Eddie is still at the helm.

And as a left field suggestion, it'd be worth considering what more we could do in the US. World Rugby have such a vested interest in growing the game there and getting their national team to be stronger. They also have some decent foreign players in their MLR. A Wallabies tour to the US with say 1 or 2 tests against the US Eagles, and a match with an MLR All Stars team could be cool.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Hopefully we can get that government funding for Ballymore, Leichardt Oval, Bruce and boutique ones in Perth and Melbourne.

If we are hosting regular test match tours with Japan, Argentina, Fiji and USA we are going to need smaller stadiums than the ones we play in currently.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
^ what's stopping RA following SA & NZ down the reciprocal tour route? Would that not generate at least as much revenue as TRC? Which I think most would agree has become a little stale.
WOB, from my POV and I think many Aussies, the TRC is not as stale as SRP (Super Rugby Pacific). And yet when we, on this side of the ditch, raise the issue of having a domestic comp in preference to SRP (Super Rugby Pacific), there are usually wails (at least many complaints) from over the ditch about terminating a competition that NZ gets a lot of development from.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
WOB, from my POV and I think many Aussies, the TRC is not as stale as SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific). And yet when we, on this side of the ditch, raise the issue of having a domestic comp in preference to SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific), there are usually wails (at least many complaints) from over the ditch about terminating a competition that NZ gets a lot of development from.
I have never seen any saying Aus pulling out of super will terminate NZ's development, but more what the hell Aus will do to keep going.for their game (well any discussions I have seen anyway). But the point still stands anyway, we are moving into new landscape with what this thread is about with the proposed Rugby Championship and there will be quite a few changes coming up. Lat's face it if anything comes up that makes it so we will play less than 3 Bled games a year we should all celebrate, it really is overkill at moment.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Dan, the wails of protest are always couched in terms of "we need a strong Australia", as though appealing to our emotions will kill off the idea of pulling out of SRP (Super Rugby Pacific). However, I take your point that the proposed Nations Championship will see changes coming up for various competitions around the world, and I for one will not be sad if that means one Bledisloe per year in place of what we have now.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Dan, the wails of protest are always couched in terms of "we need a strong Australia", as though appealing to our emotions will kill off the idea of pulling out of SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific). However, I take your point that the proposed Nations Championship will see changes coming up for various competitions around the world, and I for one will not be sad if that means one Bledisloe per year in place of what we have now.
Yep , but the we need a strong Aussie has nothing to do with the development of ABs though. It's more that Rugby needs as many strong nations as possible.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Dan, the wails of protest are always couched in terms of "we need a strong Australia", as though appealing to our emotions will kill off the idea of pulling out of SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific). However, I take your point that the proposed Nations Championship will see changes coming up for various competitions around the world, and I for one will not be sad if that means one Bledisloe per year in place of what we have now.
Honestly the Bledisloe could just be a once in quarter century event and I'd be happy.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
I have never seen any saying Aus pulling out of super will terminate NZ's development, but more what the hell Aus will do to keep going.for their game (well any discussions I have seen anyway). But the point still stands anyway, we are moving into new landscape with what this thread is about with the proposed Rugby Championship and there will be quite a few changes coming up. Lat's face it if anything comes up that makes it so we will play less than 3 Bled games a year we should all celebrate, it really is overkill at moment.
It is just so obvious that the very strong emotional resistance from Kiwis to AUS pulling out of Super Rugby has to do with how it will significantly impact NZR and the ABs. No doubt at all, despite all the very good reasons that are put forward by Kiwis not to do it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It is just so obvious that the very strong emotional resistance from Kiwis to AUS pulling out of Super Rugby has to do with how it will significantly impact NZR and the ABs. No doubt at all, despite all the very good reasons that are put forward by Kiwis not to do it.
Lol there is no more strong emotional resistance to to Aus pulling out of Super in NZ than Aus. Take my word for it I live here in NZ after years in Aus, and there are a few here like in Aus who prefer that we went another way. I still have a lot of mates in Aus who are rugby men, members at Reds etc, and not one of them wants anything but for Aus to stay in super.