• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Proposed Nations Championship

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
None of the proposed limits would allow George Smith to play for his home nation (Tonga?). I thought that was the main reason for the discussion?;)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Somewhat inevitably, "Hopes a World Rugby Professional Game Forum held overnight Monday would result in the game’s major stakeholders agreeing to restructure the international calendar remain in limbo after the parties failed to reach an agreement."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...ys-radical-plans-for-restructured-season-fail

Guess we were hoping for a lot, and when you see why the clubs put the kibosh on it, I understand their reasons, while hating them. Their club comp would have to play through middle of summer to make it work, and while we can all say it not as hot up there, they make the most coin in the middle of winter, and as they all privately owned..............
And remind me again of the idea of Aussie teams should be owned by private investors?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Apparently WR (World Rugby) have developed four options for everyone's consideration in November:

We're currently talking about the restructuring of championship, the global comp, with option 1A, 1B, 2A and 2B,” Pacific Rugby Players chairman Hale T-Pole told Stuff.

It could be a 12-country comp, or eight-eight, the top eight from the southern hemisphere and top eight from the north

“Then you’ve got a top four-top four, with an eight-team Tier 2 competition, or whatever they are going to call it,"

I'm not fussed as to the format (but would start small-ish & look to grow it) I just want it to happen, IF & only if the revenue-sharing side of things is addressed. The days of us colonials playing for spare change at a packed Twickers whilst the Nigels stuff yet more cash into their coffers have to end.

Last edited:

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Apparently WR (World Rugby) have developed four options for everyone's consideration in November:

We're currently talking about the restructuring of championship, the global comp, with option 1A, 1B, 2A and 2B,” Pacific Rugby Players chairman Hale T-Pole told Stuff.

It could be a 12-country comp, or eight-eight, the top eight from the southern hemisphere and top eight from the north

“Then you’ve got a top four-top four, with an eight-team Tier 2 competition, or whatever they are going to call it,"

I'm not fussed as to the format (but would start small-ish & look to grow it) I just want it to happen, IF & only if the revenue-sharing side of things is addressed. The days of us colonials playing for spare change at a packed Twickers whilst the Nigels stuff yet more cash into their coffers have to end.
Stuff the 12 country comp. That's essentially just more of the same. I'd prefer the 8-8 as that would at least include a number of T1 nations. And if we're going to do this then they need to figure out exactly how they will qualify these nations. Is it on merit or potential commercial returns?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Assuming they're still looking at home & away matchups in July & November 8/8 with four from each hemisphere would look like this:

Top 8
NH England, Ireland, France, Scotland
SH SA, NZ, Australia, Argentina

Next 8
NH Wales, Japan, Georgia, Italy
SH Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Uruguay

Can see some resistance from half the 6N from the get-go.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Stuff the 12 country comp. That's essentially just more of the same. I'd prefer the 8-8 as that would at least include a number of T1 nations. And if we're going to do this then they need to figure out exactly how they will qualify these nations. Is it on merit or potential commercial returns?
So if we had 8 and 8 based on current rankings it would be;
Nh: England, Ireland, France, Wales, Scotland, Italy, Georgia and Romania
sh: sa, nz, Australia, Argentina, Japan, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
^ by that logic you'd have SA in the NH group. This being World Rugby that's entirely possible ;)
Once SA moves on from RC and joins 6 nations I expect that would be the case. But yes SA is increasingly aligning with NH. Maybe after 2030 which is when they have committed to RC to.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yes you would think they would apply some rational logic to it rather than purely which way the water drains down the sink.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
To me Japan’s rise over the last decade shows where other counties like USA could go as I recall World Cup games where Japan was being flogged 90 nil or getting ABs having 100+ points put on them. So could see USA in say 10 years if continue to grow mlr etc become a rugby powerhouse as they have Already 100k+ registered players with room to grow that.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
To me Japan’s rise over the last decade shows where other counties like USA could go as I recall World Cup games where Japan was being flogged 90 nil or getting ABs having 100+ points put on them. So could see USA in say 10 years if continue to grow mlr etc become a rugby powerhouse as they have Already 100k+ registered players with room to grow that.

Here's another reason why USARugby aren't capable of hosting in 2027. Apparently the org. is so broke that they could only afford to run one session heading into the AB test. And that was the Captain's Run. If true there's little wonder they got flogged. Though they did score tries against the ABs which they've never do before or so I've read.

But what is important in the US Rig y landscape is MLR and what it is doing. It has a unified development plan designed to get Rugby in more schools. And each club is provided with clear incentives to invest youth Rugby within their regions as well as establish pathways via Academies to provide a deeper talent pool. All of this does take time. And 10 years seems fairly reasonable.