• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Level 3 Coaches . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
What are your thoughts about Level 3 Coaches?

In previous years, nominations were sought from club/rep teams, the ARU selected the blokes they thought fit the mould and away they went on the L3 course (12 month program involving in depth analysis of the game).

It seems, this year (possibly next year too) that the ARU are not running this program. ie it will be state based.

Can anyone confirm this? What do you think of your Level 3 Coach? Are you a Level 3 Coach?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I know a couple. It is a pretty exclusive club or used to be. Anybody in Brisbane rugby circles know a bloke called Paddy Bree? It's a long shot but I thought I would ask.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
It is a pretty exclusive club or used to be.

I'm sure it used to be, but from memory, Tuggeranong in the ACT have Level 3 as a minimum requirement for their 2nd grade and colts players. There are something like 9 Level 3 coaches there.

I think it's interesting that the ARU appear to not be running this course next year. Considering that the ARU is responsible for running the development programs it's interesting that they are giving the states a go at running this course. It begs the question, what are the guys who were responsible for these sort of course doing?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think the ARU guys would still be involved in the course. The advantage of running it by the states is that most of the participants would live in the major cities and would cut down the travel and accommodation costs. Cheaper to fly someone around the country than fly a bunch of guys to Sydney. The Level 2 qualification is state based with people from the ARU flying up to help out.

If it is state based then will all the states be running it? You would think that it would be easier for a coach in Melbourne to get involved that a coach in Sydney based on numbers who would be interested.

I know a few Level 3 coaches and I think the course does provide some assistance in their coaching ability but it isn't going to make you a good coach.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
the reason why is there is no Level 3 course this year is because ARU Coach Ed have determined that there are enough Level 3 coaches in the country at the moment.

There is NO other reason than this...............and it is a joke. It is definitely a closed shop, and I would've thought the more Level 3 coaches there are out in the field, the better it is for Australian Rugby................but hey, wtf would I know.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
slash - i think this is true mate. There are heaps of L3 coaches out there, that's sort of what i am getting at with gaining people's opinions because if you look at our coaching and refereeing pathways there are not many options available to the people in clubland to hone or improve their skills.

Look at it this way, what is the value of being a L3 coach if there are heaps out there, it's the 'pinnacle' of coaching qualifications in Australia, and there are plenty of them running around.

The pathway is so short it's not funny. Level 0 (1/2 day course on modified laws for under 10's), Level 1 (1 day course on all aspect's of senior and junior rugby), Level 2 (2 day course expanding on the L1 course), Level 3 (12 month in depth analysis of the game). Where is the in-between stuff where coaches can gain knowledge without having to be so full on as the L3?

This doesn't include the refereeing pathway that is combined into the Foundation course (old Level 1 course now combines refereeing and coaching).

I'm just not sold on the idea of the L3 coaching merits.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
To become a Level 3 Coach you have to have 7 years experience and be coaching at a high level. Some guys are rushed in a bit if they are former pro players or if they are coaching 1st Grade/Premier but it is still a requirement that they have experience in the game.

How would you like it structured? I believe that the accreditation process is not about making the participant into a great coach but to provide tools and a framework to work in that will result in them being able to deliver their ideas in thee best way possible. The coach has to gain practical experience in club land or at school level and this is where the true worth of the coach is found out. I think the other thing to consider is what playing group does the coach have to work with. If you have a team of superstar players and you win all the time then that is one thing but if you can get a group of players to reach their potential and not necessarily win all your games I think that this coach is of greater worth.

I have known plenty of teams in club and school rugby that have being held back by their coach and some of these guys are Level 3 coaches that I would expect better things from.

From a personal point of view I found the best thing I have done has to find some coaches that I respect and talk to them about what they do and why and also watch them closely, kind of like a mentor. I have picked up lots of little things that have helped me from just hanging around someone. By this I don't mean to copy them but to take some of their best points and use them in your coaching style.

I also believe that you can learn from every coach that you are involved with. Whether it is something good they do or something they do that you would never do it is all going towards improving your coaching ability.

While I am early on in my coaching life I look back at where I started and the first team I had I was a glorified manager who put players on the field whereas now days I can actually develop tactics and implement them at training and in the game plan.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
We have had two in our club. One was also the NTIS coach and kept a proffessional distance from the club but the other was appointed director of coaching by our commitee. It was a good move as the insight of his level 3 experience was passed through the coaches of our grades and the improvement in development through the club was sensational. He maybe the only one with the piece of paper but the enhanced level of knowledge has spread throughout the club. Though he has masses of experience in local rugby and was an NT rep player, I think the opportunity was afforded to him as others in the NT as the ARU exempted our best prospects in the interest of Developing NT rugby. I would need to confirm that but with the standard here, It would be near impossible to meet that criteria Jets.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yes Ruggo I know that in some of the States and NT that coaches are provided with a quicker development path for the growth of the game. The same thing has been done with female coaches and coaches of womens rugby. I understand the benefits in doing this as it improves the level of coaching available to people that want to participate in the game.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I’m not sure. I think the best way to do it would be to run the course every two years rather than annually (which appears to be the way the ARU are running it this year).

On the off year, the ARU could run monthly sessions in the major centres on key areas of the game (scrum, lineout, backline attack, support roles, fitness, rehab, breakdown, kicking, etc etc) and make attendance at these sessions a part of the process of applying. This would potentially expose a larger number of coaches to the more intricate aspects of the game. If the ARU ties this in with the local franchise/union then they have a base to work on for their coach education program for the following year.

On the on year, the ARU could run more intensive position or skill specific coaching for the L3 attendees as they currently do. Prop, Hooker, Tight Five, Halfback pass, sequencing of training, block training, match analysis, counter attack, etc etc.

Obviously not everyone is going to be satisfied with whatever the system that is out there is. My feeling is that there are too many L3 coaches who do not contribute a great deal to the game as far as training/mentoring other coaches goes and that the follow on from the L2 course is poor. IE You are a L2 Coach who wants to improve your skills, where do you go? The franchise based coach education basically revolves around running the Foundation and L2 Coaching course after which you are essentially on your own.

If there was a more formalised coach education program run from the ARU down to the franchises utilising the skills of the current crop of L3 coaches to conduct regular programs, the benefits for the coaches would be great. It’s never an easy task for the ARU to please everyone, and on the whole, I think they do a pretty decent job.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Sam I agree with you that running the course every 2 years would be fine.

As part of the process of applying to Level 3 you have to attend 2 coach education sessions. This is also a requirement when renewing you Level 2 accreditation. These courses are open to anyone with a Level 2 accreditation or above.

Status
Not open for further replies.