• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Tour - Positivity Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I was lucky enough to be at Suncorp for the 1st Test on Saturday night and can honestly say that was one of the most amazing Rugby experiences I've ever experienced. It wasn't the result (obviously), it wasn't the noise, it wasn't any one thing. It was the sum of all the experiences that night.

The noise was incredible. The Test Match was enthralling and had absolutely everything! There were tries, there were skills, there was a missive contest at the set piece and the break down, there was drama, excitement! It had it ALL!! The interaction between the fans of both sides was amazing! Laughing and joking all night. When the Wallabies scored, the Lions fans would congratulate me and when the Lions scored, I did the same. At the end of the night both lots of fans could barely look as Kurtley lined up 'that kick'. Fast forward and when the jumping up and down and cheering died down, the Welsh guy next to me, put his arm around me and told me to keep my chin up - it was a fucking good game that I should be proud of. He told me the Lions just pulled off the great escape. I was consoled by, and shook hands with, plenty more Lions fans after the game. There were no barbs, no snide remarks. I think everyone was just happy to have witnessed such an amazing Test.

Anyway, I get on here and there's whinging, arguing and claims of conspiracies etc. Fuck that! This Lions Tour is an amazing celebration of Rugby and a fantastic advertisement for the code in Australia. So I reckon we start a positivity thread for those not wanting to read the negative crap. Who's with me?

I'll start it off with this.....

I have lost count of how many non-Union fans have told me that they watched the 1st Test to see what all the fuss was about. Their reaction? Holy shit. That was a helluva a game! Amen brothers! :D

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I've been to pretty much every major rugby stadium in Europe for big internationals and Heineken Cup games, and nothing came close to Suncorp on Saturday night. Its is without doubt the best rugby stadium I've been to can't think of a bad word to say about the place! Already planning a trip to return to see the Tahs next year.

Also the locals as well were great craic, I'd heard a few stories about going to support the touring team in Brisbane but they were all so far wide of the mark. Everyone I met was a credit to their country.

Melbourne, you have a hell of a lot to live up for this Lions fan

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Melbourne, you have a hell of a lot to live up for this Lions fan

Melbourne knows how to put on a event.

For those who need something to do while in Melbourne the week goes like this, not including the lunches that are on as well.

Tuesday: Rebels v Lions

Wednesday:

Times & Locations for Sportsbet.com.au test.

Albert Park ( Free Entry )

5:30 - 6:30 Legends captain run

6:00 –7:00 Melbourne Rebels appearance

6:30 - 6:45 Music Starts ( interviews with legends/Rebels Pitch Side)

6:45 - 8:15 Sportsbet lions Vs Melbourne Wallabies (Pitch 1)

Sportsbet lions Vs Hammersmith & Fulham Rugby Football Club ( Pitch 2)

Star Bar South Melbourne ( $ 10 Dollar Entrance Fee )

9:00 -9:30 Speeches

11:00 –11:15 Raffle

9:30-12:30 Bad Penguins Live performance

Thursday: Classic Lions v Classic Wallabies

Friday Night: Turf bar has a pre-test party with Stirling Mortlock and Gareth Delve in attendance.

Saturday: Test match

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Great stuff guys!

Here's another one! The selection of the débutantes. Izzy was a freak and appeared to be having a ball! Mowen had a huge game and just kept on going! And Lilo - poor bugger. The positive part for him is that he probably won't remember any of it so next week (or whenever he gets his next go - which he will do) can be his new debut! ;)

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I have another one.

After the game, my wife and I stayed in our seats for a fair while just taking it all in. A few people started congregating on the fence in front of us and we were wondering why but didn't think much of it. After a while, Ben Mowen cam jogging back out of the tunnel and over towards us - straight up to the group of people in front of us. There were hugs and kisses but no bigger hugs than then one Ben gave the bloke in the middle. When they pulled back you could see the guy had tears in his eyes. Someone next to us told us that the guy that had teared up was Ben's Dad. The rest of the group was his family and friends I assume. Such a touching moment and it was good to see the reaction of a very proud Dad when his son who had worked extremely hard for it, made his Wallabies debut against the Lions.

God I love Rugby!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
At the bars both before and after the game there was some serious shouting of drinks going on from random fans on both sides.

One of my group (a Scot) had his card fail at the bar so the Aussie next to him bought his drinks - close to a $40 round of drinks (5 rums).

Another friend (Aussie) had a welsh bloke in front of him offer to order his drinks. He took up the offer not knowing that the welsh bloke not only was going to order them but them refuse to take payment!

The Lions tour is something that sets rugby apart from all other sports. There is nothing else that comes close.

Status
Not open for further replies.