• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lloyd Walker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Last week Link wrote a great piece about playmakers and a centre piece of that article was his memories of Randwick great Lloyd Walker. As good as Mark Ella at his best.

I had some video of Lloyd but the VHS tapes I have been slowly converting to digital format with those games have given up the ghost.

So does anybody have any footage of Lloyd Walker?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I have his test debut v the All Blacks in 88 I think it was. He coat hangered someone within the first couple of minutes. A shocker.

Lloyd was a fantastic player. was one of my favorites in his very short international career. Brilliant ball player.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
A very clever ball distributor, but way too slow for top rugby.

Yeah. So I suppose were Mark, Glen and Garry. Some people think that you need to be blindingly fast at 12, but I would take Mark Ella and Lloyd Walker as a combination over just about anybody. 11 & 14 are where you need your speed merchants, the inside men are the people who put them into space.

Lloyd Walker's career was blighted by the appearance on the scene of Tim Horan. In any other era he would have played 30+ tests.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Yeah. So I suppose were Mark, Glen and Garry. Some people think that you need to be blindingly fast at 12, but I would take Mark Ella and Lloyd Walker as a combination over just about anybody. 11 & 14 are where you need your speed merchants, the inside men are the people who put them into space.

Lloyd Walker's career was blighted by the appearance on the scene of Tim Horan. In any other era he would have played 30+ tests.
Lloyd........fast mind, magician's hands and slow feet but what a player.
His proof statement was just how many people playing inside and outside him went on to represent the Wallabies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
A very clever ball distributor, but way too slow for top rugby.

:D

I read that and thought of the last game I saw lloyd play for the Wicks. He was, to be delicate and respectful to the Galloping Greens great, slightly out of condition. It didn't matter because he stepped opponents, set up players, passed in contact and displayed that beautiful pass that was his hall mark and it was those skills that got him selected for the Wallabies, until the young usurper Horan came along.

If you have digital format Reg, would love to see some clips please. Educate the young un's here about what ball skills used to look like.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Last week Link wrote a great piece about playmakers and a centre piece of that article was his memories of Randwick great Lloyd Walker. As good as Mark Ella at his best.

You must have very long arms, Gnostic. That's a very long bow you're drawing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It would be interesting to see how someone like Lloyd Walker would go today in a professional environment with a full time training regime.

Clearly he was never in the greatest shape ever and playing in the amateur days probably meant he could get away with it because of his talent.

If he played today he'd have no choice but to stick to training regimes (and probably also diet regimes) and would no doubt be fitter and leaner.

R.I.P

Bob McCowan (2)

I had some video of Lloyd but the VHS tapes I have been slowly converting to digital format with those games have given up the ghost.

So does anybody have any footage of Lloyd Walker?

Status
Not open for further replies.