• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Manly vs Sydney Uni, Round 9 (ABC TV Game)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Did anyone else catch this cracker? Tuned in expecting to see a decent game and in the end I thought I was watching a semi-final. Very dramatic with the Students coming from behind to get a penalty try and win 17-20.

Also, this was probably the best refereed games I have ever seen.

To "LG" (digress) I thought that the excitement quality of the Shute Shield would suffer this year as the remaining ELV's were dropped to play the game in allignment with international rules, but the games this year have been as exciting if not more exciting than last year. The Shute Shield is going places.

Cyril Towers (30)
Mate, I watched it and agree it was a very intense game and there was clearly a lot on the line for both teams. Uni was pretty rusty and Hangers had one of his off days. Manly were fantastic at the breakdown and clearly outpointed Uni there. Set pieces were pretty even with maybe Uni shading Manly at the end. Hux played better the longer the game went and Inman and Betham threatened a lot. Manly hooker, 6 and 8 were very good and Sigg went alright as well. Cottee and Seymour were excellent and shaded the Uni 9 and 10. Darcy had a great game and looked like scoring every time he got the pill.
Lots of passion, niggle and a couple of stinks. Certainly looked like a semi and Uni will be very happy to get away with that one. Great to see Davo back in the no 8 jumper for Uni. The sooner they take the captaincy of TC and give it to Davo the better. Great guy Tommy and a fair player, but he can be a porkchop and he's not going to win too many refs over.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah I thought Hangers was off; the ABC commentators (Papworth et al) seemed to think it was a problem in the 9/10 channel, mainly the 9's service, but I thought it was fine.

Davidson was good, but he seemed to have trouble making ground. I feel for Tommy Carter, but he just doesn't seem to be the sort of guy you want being captain. He's the sort of guy who leads by example, but he gets to distracted by the niggle and lets the impulses take control.

You're right topo- Uni won the set piece, mainly because the finished strong while Manly's back tailed off towards the end.

There was only ONE substitution between the two sides, and that was caused by a sickening head clash that left Dave Dennis cold in about the 79th minute. There were twenty nine 80 minute men out there! Tough stuff.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Lots of passion, niggle and a couple of stinks. Certainly looked like a semi and Uni will be very happy to get away with that one. Great to see Davo back in the no 8 jumper for Uni. The sooner they take the captaincy of TC and give it to Davo the better. Great guy Tommy and a fair player, but he can be a porkchop and he's not going to win too many refs over.

Great contest and plenty of spite !!

I really felt for Manly, they played most of the rugby and deserved the win. But Uni are expert at coming home strong and they had too much momentum in the final 15 minutes.

I reckon Tom Carter is going to end up getting the snot belted out of him one day if he's not careful. He really does go out of his way to be a dickhead.

Cyril Towers (30)
Well, he's been doing it for a long time and no one's belted the snot out of him yet. He's a bit like Ian Healy, you love him when he's on your team, but he's an absolute prick if you're playing against him. One things for sure, he doesn't shirk the hard stuff. He's tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.