• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Matt Gitteau

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brokendown gunfighter

this leak would have come from his manager to up the ante
no sponser would pay him the balance of the firepower monies,only to see him walk anyway

M

mezza

brokendown gunfighter said:
this leak would have come from his manager to up the ante
no sponser would pay him the balance of the firepower monies,only to see him walk anyway

Too true about it coming from the manager... surely Gits is otherwise occupied with his preparations for the Bled game. I would not be surprised if the article (which by the way, was the FULL back page, with pic, of the West Australian - :-\usually rugby gets a few inches of column space 4 or 5 pages in from the back!) had nothing whatever to do with him(Gits).

Oh well, I suppose that is what managers do.. personally I think they are a blight on all sport, but that is my opinion.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Giteau explores options to leave Force

By Bret Harris
October 31, 2008

AUSTRALIA five-eighth Matt Giteau has sought legal advice as he seeks an immediate exit from his contract with Super 14 team Western Force.

If Giteau is successful in cutting his ties with Perth, the Force will look at using its marquee import spot to recruit an international five-eighth or inside centre.

Giteau is contracted to the ARU until the end of 2011, but he is free to move from the Force to another Australian provincial team in 2010.

He is in discussions with the Force and the Brumbies for the 2010 and 2011 seasons. But it is understood Giteau wants to quit the Force a year early to join the Brumbies next season.

When Giteau signed with the Force he also secured a third-party sponsorship with failed fuel technology company Firepower, which owes him just over $1million in cash and shares.

If Giteau can show the Firepower deal was an inducement to sign with the Force, he may have a case which will allow him to break his contract.

But the Force would argue that it is not responsible for arrangements made between Giteau and a personal sponsor.

"Matt is an extremely valuable member of our team who is adored by the supporters and we'd like to think he'll honour his commitments with the Force in 2009," Western Force chief executive Greg Harris said.

"At this stage we have no indication that Matt wishes to be released from his contract and we are approaching things as business as usual. Obviously, Matt is one of the finest players in the country and an integral member of our organisation and we'd love to keep him here in Perth well beyond next season."

The Brumbies are not banking on Giteau coming home next year but would make room for him if he decided to do so.

Whether Giteau moves back to Canberra next year or the year after, it seems increasingly likely he will play for the Brumbies again. He has an offer to respond to from a potential third-party sponsor in Perth, which has pledged to cover the cash component of his Firepower deal, which was worth $400,000 a year.

If Giteau does not accept the offer, it will be taken off the table, virtually ensuring his return to the Brumbies.

It is understood the same sponsor would then assist the Force to recruit a foreign player to replace Giteau.

French Test star Frederic Michalak spent the last Super 14 season with South African team the Sharks and there are a number of former New Zealand inside backs, such as Carlos Spencer, Andrew Mehrtens and Luke McAlister, playing in Europe.

Shees, this is big news. If he walks out this year. I wonder if the Brumbies can (1) afford him and (2) have space for him? They'd obviously find space for him (I'm pretty sure they haven't signed up their full 33 yet) but they'd probably be forgoing signings from another position. I would say the 4s would struggle to find someone for early next year, at this time of year.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
If the Brumbies are shelling out that much money, they should buy Larkham off whatever Japanese club he's playing for. An aging, slow, past it Larkham is still approximately 587 times a better flyhalf that Giteau.

S

Spook

naza said:
If the Brumbies are shelling out that much money, they should buy Larkham off whatever Japanese club he's playing for. An aging, slow, past it Larkham is still approximately 587 times a better flyhalf that Giteau.

Still feel this way? :huxley

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Spook said:
naza said:

Still feel this way? :huxley

Why would my opinion have changed in 12 hours ?

Wait, did you actually think Giteau had a good game ? :eek:

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Giteau was poor but not awful. He played best when he was running in the 12 channel.

Burgess and Barnes looked good together briefly. Make it happen.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Giteau is not a flyhalf. When Barnes came on, Giteau naturally shifted into inside centre mode and looked better for it. But I'm a broken record.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
naza said:
Giteau is not a flyhalf. When Barnes came on, Giteau naturally shifted into inside centre mode and looked better for it. But I'm a broken record.
I agree, naz. He is a very good 12 and looks more at home.

S

Spook

Bloody hell I thought Giteau had a good game (perhaps you failed to see him doing all the creative work for Australia?). There is noone else in Oz who is anywhere near as good as him at 10. It wasn't his fault we didn't have the ball from minute 40 to 60. What we do need is a better kicking game from 12 and 15. Barnes is the clear choice at 12 and we need to develop someone with a great kicking game from full back (it was no coincedence that Oz got out of their 1/2 when Barnes came on to relieve the pressure off Gits). Now Naza, before you start on about Larkham, his kicking game wasn't very consistent either. What he did have was Latham at fulback and Gits at 12. The kicking game of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) versus that of Lathams...well the difference is massive :-[ I have to say it but I think Gerrard at XV would give the Aussie side much better balance. Yes he's slow etc but he is a very good kicker of the ball and finds space. I fear for Sheperd's knee injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.