• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rising 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Apparently the Rising are not playing any games at AAMI Park this season. One match at each of Harlequins, Morwell, Geelong (Thursday night TV game) and Frankston.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Same as the Rams. It's a good move. With crowds at a max of 5k better to move them to smaller grounds. Looks stupid with 90% of the stadium empty.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Good move. AAMI was nice, and probably better for corporates, but vast empty areas of the stadium was too much.

Will definitely get to the Quins and Franga games, and will see if I can make an evening of it with a mate down in Geelong, but the Morwell game may be a bit more difficult.

Otherwise I'll be biting my tongue about further discussion till after the Rebels game tomorrow.

Reactions: daz

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah. disappointing for me personally, i doubt i will get to any game, whereas would have gone to all at AAMI. i assume this is a cost saving measure, not altruistic, in taking the game to the people ! Will be interesting to see what sort of crowds they actually get. last year ~5K on a sunny sunday afternoon was good atmosphere.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
As long as their is sufficient parking available at Quins it makes sense apart from the Frankston game. Realistically for large parts of Melbourne this is a third regional game, and I would see the balance at two regional, two in Melbourne as right.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Swingpass I think there is an element of cost savings but also think there is an element of taking game to people / development of game.

Depending on clashes with other commitments I am likely to go to Frankston and Quins game and a possibility to go to Morwell game.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I thought the Rebels' preseason match at Quins was great fun. I'll even stretch the legs and credulity and get down to Franga, provided it's a weekend afternoon match.

They've got to grow the game and if it means dishing out some more game time to regional Vic, I'm all for it.

Reactions: daz
D

daz

My initial reaction was "faaark". AAMI works on so many levels for me.

But I am sure that there are many people in Vic who would love to see some pro rugby, but think AAMI is a journey too far.

On reflection, I now fully agree with most of the comments above. This is a smart move, and spreads the good word and branding across the state; basically turning the Rising season into a Rebels roadshow.

I'll be at each and every game, carrying out a secret mission of comparing sausage roll quality between grounds. I too am a man of the people.

;)

T

TOCC

Let's not ignore the crucial issue of cost as well, I can't imagine that AAMI Park rental costs are cheap, if they can cut operating costs they can also reduce ticket prices and market it as a cheaper and more accessible product for people and families.. If they maintain crowd levels then even with cheaper tickets they should be able to boost their bottom line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Rising home games:
v Brisbane City at Harlequins Sat 29 Aug 2pm
v Greater Sydney Rams at Morwell Sat 19 Sept 2pm
v NSW Country Eagles at Geelong Thurs 8 Oct 7:30pm
v Sydney Stars at Frankston Sun 18 Oct 1:30pm

T

Train Without a Station

Planning a trip down. Might try to get to the Quins game. Carn City!

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm all for taking the games out to regional areas, but...

I think some people might have liked to have this information prior to pre-purchasing their Rising tickets with their Rebels membership.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Which actual grounds are these at (Harlequins is easy but the regional ones)?

Morwell - La Trobe City? -at least rectangular which would be good.

xdMx4EVm.jpg

Frankston - an oval somewhere?

e4xMBHy.jpg

Geelong - this place ... ? (surely not if it doesn't have lights)

QJQsqabm.jpg

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Geelong should be Simmonds stadium if it's broadcast. The Fart have played games down in Morwell for the A-League, so we should be fine. Dunno about Frankston.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Match at Morwell is at Latrobe City, at Geelong is Simmonds Stadium and at Frankston is Frankston Park.

Don't know anything about Frankston Park. So if anyone has any knowledge regarding Frankston Park that would be good.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Match at Morwell is at Latrobe City, at Geelong is Simmonds Stadium and at Frankston is Frankston Park.

Don't know anything about Frankston Park. So if anyone has any knowledge regarding Frankston Park that would be good.
Frankson Park is the Oval in the photo I posted above.

Latrobe City looks like a decent venue for rugby even though it's far from the Metropolis. Frankston Park (or Simmonds, for that matter) - not so much.

Perth Spirit played at an Aussie Rules oval last year. It was a good facility with a covered grandstand, but no good for rugby. The rectangular parks, even those with just a grassed hill for spectators are better (let's face it, the crowds number in the few thousands at best). - But I suppose at Frankston they could move the field markings sideways by 20-30m from centre to play the game near the stand . . .

Anyway, what's the source for the grounds named in this thread? If it's from a Rebels' email, great. If it's from the wiki articles, those listings are currently unsourced.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Received a call from Melbourne Rising on Thursday where they told me suburb / towns matches were in. Three venues listed in record at Rebels v Force game.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Received a call from Melbourne Rising on Thursday where they told me suburb / towns matches were in. Three venues listed in record at Rebels v Force game.
No wuckers.

Hopefully the Rising people are on the ball when it come setting up the oval venues.

The Spirit seem to have moved away from the oval option in Perth (again this is not definitively sourced and could be wrong) and will perhaps stick to the Uni of WA ground where they got good viewing, a good atmosphere and a healthy crowd.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I've been the two Rebels' pre-season games at Geelong. Like any AFL ground, it's not much good for watching rugby. I guess Frankston won't be any better either.

Status
Not open for further replies.