• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Motorcycles - Bikes and Riders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
I love those movies.

I've ridden the Beamer too. Great bike. Top heaviness takes a bit of getting used to when your normal ride is a V-Rod, but they are engineered beautifully.

jermano

Ted Fahey (11)
I've ridden the Beamer too. Great bike. Top heaviness takes a bit of getting used to when your normal ride is a V-Rod, but they are engineered beautifully.

Have you tried either of the new Triumph Tigers? the 800XC is a hoot, i am yet to ride the new 1200 but it is shaft drive, with a hell of a lot of fancy electrical extra's. IMO much better than the BM.

chequebalance

Bill Watson (15)
I have a '09 ZX10R although it is currently in the shop getting the regulator replaced. Heading down to to the GP this year got my tickets and booked my flights today! Anyone else heading down?

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Speaking of kawas, has anyone ridden/owned a z750?

I'm looking at getting a new bike in the next couple of months and the Aprilia Shiver Sport and KTM 690 Duke are top of the list atm. All the other stuff I like is non-Japanese but I quite like the look of the Zed and they're a fair bit cheaper than the Euro bikes so I thought they might be worth a shot.

I rode a Honda Hornet 600 for a couple of months but it really felt heavy and dull so I guess that put me off middleweight Jap 4s.

I've also borrowed a mate's Duc 848 a few times recently and that thing puts a ridiculous grin on my face :D - it's ridiculous (and beautiful)

chequebalance

Bill Watson (15)
Never ridden one but have heard good things about them. Best bet is to go down to a dealer and take a test ride and compare them all. Price is the reason I went Jap plus i love the look of my 10! Performance wise my old R1 definitely stood my hairs up a bit more, but that may have been because I was a bit younger and had more hair..

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
Has anyone seen "Long Way Round" with Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman?

Gotta be the best ad for the BMW R1150GS bikes out. Those bikes were put through absolute hell, and came through with flying colours. Bush mechanics in outer Wherethehellarewestan were able to patch the bikes up without apparent adverse impact.

KTM were initially invited to provide the bikes but wouldn't didn't think the ride would be a success, and that it would reflect poorly on their bikes. Pretty dumb decision in hindsight.
great show (and long way down too). Though off in outer mongolia, their camera man was happy on a piddly 250 or something, becuase it was lighter. The BMWs are heavy bikes, and they got stuck in places lighter bikes wouldn't have.

I used to ride a CBR600, which was so much fun. A perfectly balanced bike for sports, touring, commuting. But the speeding fines and the fact that it was a luxury caught up with me.

Now I have a KLR250 dirt bike that I go out in the local gippsland forest. Fun, but often pretty scary too. I'm not much of a dirt rider, I tootle along much slower than most, but who cares, it's not a race. I don't like riding alone but I don't know anyone who doesn't want to roar around at top speed. So I don't get out as much as I like.

T

trophyhunter

Speaking of kawas, has anyone ridden/owned a z750?

I'm looking at getting a new bike in the next couple of months and the Aprilia Shiver Sport and KTM 690 Duke are top of the list atm. All the other stuff I like is non-Japanese but I quite like the look of the Zed and they're a fair bit cheaper than the Euro bikes so I thought they might be worth a shot.

I rode a Honda Hornet 600 for a couple of months but it really felt heavy and dull so I guess that put me off middleweight Jap 4s.

I've also borrowed a mate's Duc 848 a few times recently and that thing puts a ridiculous grin on my face :D - it's ridiculous (and beautiful)

Z750 is not a bad bike. More of a cushy ride than an 848, but a sport bike that will feel a touch torquier than a race inspired 600.

Be careful comparing a Hornet 600 to "other" middleweight Japanese supersport bikes. Take any of the current crop of CBR, ZX, R6 or GSXR Jap 600 supersports and you will find they are a lot sharper than the old Hornet. Fair enough they will not get up and go until they are above 8000rpm, but if you can keep them above that they will keep a grin on your face. My little R6 is capable of over 100km/h in first, revs to 16500rpm and has 6 gears to play with, sure you have to keep the little mill on the boil, but if you do, it is lightweight, agile and rewarding.

Step up to a 1000 and you will not have to try as hard to go fast (well on the straights anyway) and it will feel a bit heavier, but there is so much more potential to get yourself into "OH SH*T" territory haha.

Just saying, try a "proper" 600 before you bag them out for being slow. A word of warning, most 600's are track weapons in disguise, the suspension is designed to handle "spirited" riding on smooth surfaces and does not lend itself to touring on less than perfect roads. Your feet are tucked up your arse for ground clearance, there is bugger all screen to get out of the wind, and you are hunched well forward in an agressive riding position. Short blasts up into the mountains are the order of the day, not epic "long way down" touring rides. But...when you get onto the track with some Pirelli supercorsa's or Metzeller K2's you will forget all that and have tonnes of fun going hard and not worrying about the Police.

I have done some long rides on My R6, 1200km in 2 days night in a country pub enjoying the hospitality. You end up wishing the last 200km was not there and you were home, being in the riding position for so long with a mild hang over, with some short transit sections on bumpy roads, you will wish you got a tourer haha

If you like the naked stuff, have a look at a Triumph Street Triple 675. My mate has one and loves it. Bit easier to ride on the street than my R6, slightly more road oriented suspension and its not Japanese and being a triple it is that little bit different. My mate has Ti Arrow exhausts on his which look sweet too!

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Couldn't help myself. Bought a bike today. It was between the Super Duke and Speed Triple as to what would be my next bike. A real nice low k (4500ks) Super Duke R model came up first. All of the Triumphs I was looking at had too many K's.

image_zpsdeb424c6.jpg

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
How are you finding the Duke @chargerWA ? My DRZ400 got stolen so now I'm looking at one of these, or a street triple.

Leaning towards the triple cause I like torque, and am keen to go on some rides of decent length and think it'd be more comfortable.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
How are you finding the Duke @chargerWA ? My DRZ400 got stolen so now I'm looking at one of these, or a street triple.

Leaning towards the triple cause I like torque, and am keen to go on some rides of decent length and think it'd be more comfortable.
I loved it, albeit shortly.

Had a ute turn in front of me out of a gravel road on a country road. 5 broken ribs, a fractured vertebrae and basically degloved my knee last September.

I was actually just surfing Bikesales myself looking for a 2013 Superduke 1290. I'm not keen to spend the full $25k new asking price so will wait until a good second hand one turns up.

Having owned 9 motorbikes now I could never go back to an uncomfortable bike. The peg/bar relationship is just so comfortable for my 185cm frame. The Dukes will pretty much out handle anything on the road. The premium price for them also gets you premium suspension.

I haven't ridden a Speedtriple, but I do believe the riding position is a little more aggressive, but not by much.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Woah that's hectic, glad to hear you're recovered now though.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some decent motorcycle pants? I'm struggling to find something that I can use in Summer, has some waterproofing, safety features and most importantly, can be worn over suit pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.