• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Mungos copycat our 7's program

Status
Not open for further replies.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
One of the smarter mungoes running around is former Newcastle Knight Danny Buderus. He has developed a blueprint to take mungoball global with what he calls Rugby Nines International League. He implores the games authorities to learn from the ascent of Rugby Sevens as a game initially designed for fun to Olympic sport status. He thinks rugby players in countries such as Kenya, Spain, Morocco and the USA would try the game because it would provide them international exposure and give them an opportunity to make a living out of sport.

I personally think they have left it too late. With the 8th largest bank in the world now sponsoring our 7's world series and the sport readmitted to the Olympics in 2016 I can only see 7's getting bigger.

Nice to see the mungos are watching though.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/bedsys-revolution-no9-20110101-19chz.html

Bedsy's revolution No.9

January 2, 2011

Former Origin stalwart Danny Buderus believes his idea for nine-a-side league could be a global hit, writes Daniel Lane.

FORMER Newcastle hooker Danny Buderus believes he has the blueprint to take rugby league to a global market, but says this will require teams of nine players and 20-minute halves.

Buderus, who plays for English Super League team Leeds Rhinos, intends to prepare a paper for the game's authorities and implore them to learn from the ascent of Rugby Sevens as a game initially designed for fun to Olympic sport status. He will also point to Twenty20 cricket and the many benefits it is yielding that sport.

He said the modified version of league - Nines - was the code's greatest opportunity to break into a broad range of international markets. He's also suggested league cashes in on rugby's worldwide sports brand by calling it Rugby Nines International League.

Buderus, the 2004 Dally M Medal winner who played a record 21 successive Origin matches for NSW, said Nines was a viable way to allow league to grow a stronger support base in AFL-dominated territory.

''I have thought for a long-time about where the game is heading,'' Buderus told The Sun-Herald. ''We need to think of how to not only make league the best game in Australia, but how to take it worldwide.

''I think Nines is a sure-fire way.''

Buderus stressed his plan was not intended to challenge the 13-man version as rugby league's premier game, but said it would allow the sport an opportunity to break into a variety of markets.

''I think the introduction of Nines as an alternative to the 13-man game would appeal to players from all around the world,'' he said.

''I watch a fair bit of Sevens on television while I'm in England, and it's pretty big. You see teams like Kenya, Uganda, Argentina and Japan play it, and Sevens offers them an entry into rugby. The next step for the players is the 15-man game - it's a great way to introduce the game at a national level.

''Sevens is already established internationally, and all we'd need to do is add two players to it. I think the biggest problem with Sevens is once a player beats someone it's likely he'll score. It should be a bit harder and I think the extra two players would do that.

''I also think we should be happy to allow rugby players to join in if they want.

''Not only would [Nines] take our great game around the world but it could also unearth a lot of talent. I think [rugby] players in countries [such as Kenya, Spain, Morocco, the USA] would try any sport that would provide them international exposure because they'd think it might give them an opportunity to make a living out of sport.''

Buderus also said Nines would help to bridge the gulf between powerhouses Australia and New Zealand and the rest of the league-playing world.

''The time is a big factor,'' he said. ''We've seen a lot of Test countries play on emotion for the first 20 minutes but then [the differences in] fitness, ability and skills take their toll.

''I think the Nines formula would be a good leveller and we could see these countries [England, France, Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga] compete.''

The breakaway Super League competition played a Nines competition in 1996 and 1997, and while he was aligned to the ARL competition Buderus described it as one of the great innovations.

With the formation of the independent commission in Australia, and his playing in England at a time the sport's governing body in that nation is exploring how to expand the game beyond Lancashire, Cheshire and Yorkshire borders, Buderus believes it's time to look at ways for the game to go global.

''I've been waiting to see what is going to happen with the formation of the commission - and I think the Nines concept is something the [powers-that-be] need to consider.''

He said a World Nines could be hosted in cities around the globe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Buderus blueprint
❏ A team consists of nine players

❏ Each team has five interchange players

❏ Game are played in two halves, 20 minutes in duration

❏ Scrums are replaced by turnovers

❏ Unlimited interchange

❏ A team surrenders possession if the dummy-half is tackled

❏ Employ elite marketing people to promote the Nines as league's answer to cricket's Twenty20

❏ Encourage Rugby Sevens players from such nations as Kenya, USA, Russia, Italy and Spain to play

❏ Promote the game heavily in the Pacific Rim

❏ Employ elite marketing people to promote the Nines as league's answer to cricket's Twenty20

❏ Establish an annual international tournament. Include the USA, Dubai and Japan as host nations

❏ Capitalise on the popularity of Rugby Sevens by branding it Rugby Nines International League

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So feed of Rugby like a no good parasite. Its amazing how League can be so combative toward Rugby here but still think they can ride our coatails on the international scene. Rugby League 9s already exists BTW. Just another half wit spruiking the criminal code.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
''Sevens is already established internationally, and all we'd need to do is add two players to it. I think the biggest problem with Sevens is once a player beats someone it's likely he'll score. It should be a bit harder and I think the extra two players would do that.

''I also think we should be happy to allow rugby players to join in if they want.

''Not only would [Nines] take our great game around the world but it could also unearth a lot of talent. I think [rugby] players in countries [such as Kenya, Spain, Morocco, the USA] would try any sport that would provide them international exposure because they'd think it might give them an opportunity to make a living out of sport.''

...right...

This is a greater example of why the IRB and national unions need to push for the rebranding rugby clubs from "RUFC" and "RUC" to "RFC" and "RC" In effect force them to completely rebrand and make sure they can't play tricks on people by using the rugby name.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
i think hes got a point in regards to if a player beats the man he'll generally score and thats a bit too easy but if u had another two players would you play a fullback? or extend the line?
i think the problem he'll find is that the modified version would be so different from league in fitness requirements that none of their stars that they would use to promote the game would be effective.
some good points workinclassrugger:
1- parasites
2- so combative to rugby its shameful
3- the "criminal code" haha love it!

B

Burke's Boot

For sometime i have felt that the IRB should claim exclusive rights to the name Rugby when it comes to sport given how the tawdry code consistently sullies it with disgrace after disgrace. The French managed to get exclusive rights to the name Champagne and the Greeks with Feta Cheese so i can't see why the IRB can't do it with the name rugby when it comes to sport.

sjg

Frank Nicholson (4)
the proposed 'nines' format still wouldnt play and flow how a sevens game does. becuase every time a player in nines is tackled, he has to hop back up and play the ball, then most likely he will stand and watch his team mates do all the work his he recovers from his 10meter run. one thing that rugby has over league is flulid motion and constant contest over possession, the joke that is a league ruck will never compare with the real deal of a rugby ruck. gotta love coping some studs to he face.

and also the smartest thing ive ever heard from a leaguie, get rid of their bloody scrums!! may as well have the forwards hold each others hands and talk about thier crushes... anyway, just a personal gripe

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Particularly because the etymology of comes from what they would call "a toffy private boys club" and they didn't use it for the first 10 years of their games existance

D

Doc

9's has been around forever. Never caught on (like 6s in cricket) Though neither did 7s until that last 5-10 years so you never know.

Their code is too one dimensional. 7s is so different to 15s its almost laughable to compare them. 9s would be very similar to 13s so no real point of difference.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Bugger! Why didn't we think of that!! Twice!!

Reactions: Ash

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
If you'll notice around the middle of that set of posts they infer that Rugby administrators are sleazy, not as sleazy as AFL ones but not as right and proper as NRL ones...

all adminstrators are sleazy, but when you're restructuring you're entire administration because of infighting, personal use etc?

Running Rugby

Sydney Middleton (9)
I see a number of major issues in the proposal and can foresee somebody in the near future proposing another hybrid competition in the shortened format.
One of the interesting issues I think is the proposed 20min time limit per half meaning including injury time and halftime the game will run over 45minutes. One of the major draw cards of rugby 7's is seeing multiple teams in limited time. Rugby 7's games are done and dusted in just over 15minutes giving us more matches more often.

While I applaud Buderus for thinking about his game, regardless of our opinions on it, I see the game more suited to schools and regions that struggle to field 13 players and could be used in a similar method as to what rugby 10's has been in many public high schools in Queensland.

HKTiger

Allen Oxlade (6)
We already have 10's. So what has he done ? Umm do I try 8's or 9"s.

If you want a game with slightly slower than 7's and with a closer structure to 15's you have 10's. Quite widely played in Asia.

Status
Not open for further replies.