• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Munster v. Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spook

Good win for Munster...but Sale were fecken atrocious. Munster have been sh|t house most of the season so they are timing their run well again. Other teams in Europe seem to be imploding.

R

rugbywhisperer

Attack during the game by both teams was very ordinary. In the end Munster won I felf by not making the mistakes and whenever sales transgressed - and it was usually in a vulnerable field position Munster struck.
I didn't think the game after the first 20 minutes rose to any great height.

S

Spook

Sale made a load of errors. Munster pounced. The tries were pretty soft though.

P

PhucNgo

Very ordinary affair when compared to the intensity of the Wasps/Leinster match; although I'm only halfway through that one. The Munster fullback (name escapes me) looks good and I'm betting will take over the run-on no.10 from O'Gara next year. And what can you say about Charlie Hodgson, well, he played like Charlie Hodgson.

But back to Wasps. Am I missing something or are there other like minded folks out there who think that Danny Cirpriani is a bit of a myth?

R

rugbywhisperer

PhucNgo said:
But back to Wasps. Am I missing something or are there other like minded folks out there who think that Danny Cirpriani is a bit of a myth?

I agree. Maybe the pressure which has been piled on by the British media is taking it's toll.
How good did Elsom play? Whittaker was too sideways.

P

PhucNgo

I agree. Maybe the pressure which has been piled on by the British media is taking it's toll.
How good did Elsom play? Whittaker was too sideways.
[/quote]

But never mind the quality, what about the width (on his pass that is).

FP. Slow? As I said I've only watched the first half, but I must have missed the slow bit.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Was a good win by Munster. In the past they weren't that great at seizing on opponents' mistakes but in the Sale game it was more or less a set piece because the visitors made plenty of them.

Wonderful play by skipper and lock POC. You'd like this bloke next to you in the trenches and with flankers Wallace and Quinlan not far away. They were in everything and Wallace's try just after half time was sheer class. He played 7 but he is one of those rare backrowers who can play top professional rugby in any of the 3 spots.

ROG had an ordinary goal kicking day in bad conditions but it was one of those games when it didn't matter. The young Leinster backs Fitzgerald and Kearney are doing their bit for Leinster (well, not to much last weekend) but Earls' playing at 13 gave Munster a bit of fizz against Sale. This allowed Aussie Paul Warwick to play fullback and apart from the odd dropped pill in the wind, and a kick out on the full here and there, he had a very solid game.

One of the debating points in Ireland rugby these days is: which of these young guns will get precedence for Ireland matchday 22s in the 6N tests coming up.

Watched a recording of the Clermont v. Montauban game last night. This was on at the same time as the Munster game. If Munster got a bonus point win they would get a finals place confirmed at the expense of Clermont so French TV kept switching back to Limerick for updates and at one point had a long live feed.

I won't give a spoiler and by the way, one thing I hate about HC TV coverage is that they announce the results of a game played earlier or at the same time. There should be a convention that the scores at other grounds don't get mentioned, but the French would have to be the spoiler world champs and probably wouldn't be party to it.

PhucNgo

Elsom was terrific for Leinster and has been in great form winning several MOTM awards. You can see why he was the only Aussie to make the Planet Rugby 1st XV of 2008. He's one of the top performers in European club rugby this season - right up there with POC, Wallace, Byron Kelleher (again) and Nick Evans (well, most of the time). Put Brock James in with that lot too.

Seems like Rocky is rated more highly by the Planet Rugby selectors, and just about every TV commentator of Leinster games, than some posters on this forum.

Curious that.

S

Spook

Lee Grant said:
Seems like Rocky is rated more highly by the Planet Rugby selectors, and just about every TV commentator of Leinster games, than some posters on this forum.

Curious that.

Not really, he plays for Leinster so they like him. ;) I try and watch most Leinster games now to see how Rocky gets on. He has been their best import by a long way and probably their player of the season.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
The most intense thing about that game was the crowd support. Bloody fantastic. The rugby looked pretty soft to my one eye.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Those two points crossed my mind, too, Scarfie. What would we do for crowds like that at Thomond Park? But the defence was pretty shithouse.

Don't forget NH scribes lambasted us for "loose, basketball-type rugby" during the first few years of the Super 12. From what I've seen of the Heineken Cup and Guinness Premiership any of their sides'd be lucky to get close to one of ours.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Not so sure about that Lindy and Scarfie. Not in their winter conditions. And I wouldn't like to tell the likes of POC that his mob are soft.

P

PhucNgo

Lee Grant said:
PhucNgo

Elsom was terrific for Leinster and has been in great form winning several MOTM awards. You can see why he was the only Aussie to make the Planet Rugby 1st XV of 2008. He's one of the top performers in European club rugby this season - right up there with POC, Wallace, Byron Kelleher (again) and Nick Evans (well, most of the time). Put Brock James in with that lot too.

Curious that.

Lee, you do have a long memory. I didn't realise you had such a high opinion of RP selectors and TV commentators :fishing. It doesn't really change my views on Rocky though. (I'm not noted for running with the opinion of the pack.) The primary reason for Leinster being rolled was that Wasps forwards blew them off the park. Elsom had a few good hitups but from what I recall wasn't doing a lot of work in close. His tackling hasn't improved either, he's still all-arms. I'm happy to remain a skeptic.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
My memory goes beyond the Wasps v Leinster game.

Through the Setanta channel, EPSN for the HC matches and downloading, I've seen Rocky play in just about all of the games he has played for Leinster this season. He has been a top player for them in just about every game as you would know if you watched Leinster as much as I have in 2008-09.

And not just running with the ball. Watch a bit closer.

But you're happy to remain a skeptic and I'm happy that you're happy.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Lindommer said:
Those two points crossed my mind, too, Scarfie. What would we do for crowds like that at Thomond Park? But the defence was pretty shithouse.

Don't forget NH scribes lambasted us for "loose, basketball-type rugby" during the first few years of the Super 12. From what I've seen of the Heineken Cup and Guinness Premiership any of their sides'd be lucky to get close to one of ours.

Well, given that the Welsh team from the AIs has been accused of being the Ospreys in disguise, would you care to bet on that...? ;)

You gentlemen have raved on about Seabass, and how wonderful he is - that was him being twatted like a rag-doll. Sheridan was being folded like he didn't exist. Just because we pummelled them doesn't necessarily mean they were soft; it may well mean that we would have pounded most teams out against us last Friday. The Wasps-Leinster game may have looked harder; that's because both teams were shite.

Making it look easy against good opposition is one of the hardest things for a team to do.

S

Spook

Thomond78 said:
Lindommer said:

Well, given that the Welsh team from the AIs has been accused of being the Ospreys in disguise, would you care to bet on that...? ;)

You gentlemen have raved on about Seabass, and how wonderful he is - that was him being twatted like a rag-doll. Sheridan was being folded like he didn't exist. Just because we pummelled them doesn't necessarily mean they were soft; it may well mean that we would have pounded most teams out against us last Friday. The Wasps-Leinster game may have looked harder; that's because both teams were shite.

Making it look easy against good opposition is one of the hardest things for a team to do.

Let's not mentioned Ulster and Connacht. Tom Court absolutely smashed the Munster front row.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Spook said:
Thomond78 said:
Lindommer said:

Let's not mentioned Ulster and Connacht. Tom Court absolutely smashed the Munster front row.

All right, then, Spookie, since you need me to bite - he didn't. What did happen was that Court, along with the rest of that scrum, were stepping around on the engage like it was a foxtrot. They weren't pushing, just wheeling to upset it.

Mind you, I'm shit-sick of idiot commentators thinking a scrum is in trouble when the defending team (any defending team, btw) deliberately step left to get a left shoulder to stop the 8 going at any stage. The fact that, if you don't do it when within 20m of your left-hand touchline, you're being thick as buggery and asking for trouble down the short-side, appears to be too much to cope with for the cretins commentating. I mean, is it too much to ask of them to actually sit down with a few little models and work out the basics of the game they're supposed to be commentating on? That the time you know a defending scrum is in trouble is when it goes back on the loose-head's side, not the tight-head? Not too much to ask, is it...? ::)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Thomond78 said:
Spook said:
Thomond78 said:
Lindommer said:

All right, then, Spookie, since you need me to bite - he didn't. What did happen was that Court, along with the rest of that scrum, were stepping around on the engage like it was a foxtrot. They weren't pushing, just wheeling to upset it.

Mind you, I'm shit-sick of idiot commentators thinking a scrum is in trouble when the defending team (any defending team, btw) deliberately step left to get a left shoulder to stop the 8 going at any stage. The fact that, if you don't do it when within 20m of your left-hand touchline, you're being thick as buggery and asking for trouble down the short-side, appears to be too much to cope with for the cretins commentating. I mean, is it too much to ask of them to actually sit down with a few little models and work out the basics of the game they're supposed to be commentating on? That the time you know a defending scrum is in trouble is when it goes back on the loose-head's side, not the tight-head? Not too much to ask, is it...? ::)

A decent, smart front row just joins in the dance and negates the wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.