• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

My public transport solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Ill put more thoughts here, heres some maps I've been developing for some years.

one is an expansion on the current heavy rail system. (still mapping it fully)

one is a CBD isolated MagLev System. for the inner city, to get buses out of it. above or below ground, not on it.

Attachments

• new trains map.jpg
    new trains map.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 417
  • monorail network map.jpg
    monorail network map.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 362

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
That's funny, train in Newport! Good luck getting the locals to agree to that... was originally planned to go to Narrabeen but vetoed.

Re the Central to Randwick line, it'd be good if that had a station between SFS / SCG and another at Fox Studios.

Chatswood to Dee Why line seems a great idea too.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
trains everywhere....

I know the northern beaches are a problematic thing with locals and beacheys. But it wouldn't be too hard to fight back with progress as the main issue...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Priority #1 should be a train from Caringbah to Sans Souci. It's fucking joke you have to go so far west to get from Cronulla to the city.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I don't know that the Northern Beaches are any hillier than the rest of Sydney, if there is an increased cost it would be buying the land for the rail. The big problem would be opposition from residents who tend to believe that train = crime and increased population.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
I don't know that the Northern Beaches are any hillier than the rest of Sydney, if there is an increased cost it would be buying the land for the rail. The big problem would be opposition from residents who tend to believe that train = crime and increased population.

I think a lot of the land that was put aside for the various rail/ road corridors up north (and in fact elsewhere in Sydney) has been flogged off. Starting with Wran back in the 70's. Lack of vision has not been a recent thing in NSW politics.

One issue with train going from Sydney up through Neutral Bay etc to Dee Why is the Spit. That holds quite a few engineering obstacles. Though the simplest would be the most expensive - a bridge holding the rail and road linking the top of Balmoral straight across the Spit to the top of Manly Road....

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Cheaper option could be a tunnel under middle harbour, say North Sydney, Crows Nest, Northbridge, Seaforth, Balgowlah, Brookvale, Dee Why

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Isn't there a major issue with geography on the Northern Beaches? I thought that was one of the main reasons why there was no train line up the coast, as the cost would be astronomical because of the hilly terrain. Other than that, this reminded me of the link to Al Baxter's blog someone posted elsewhere. Deals with this issue in part:

http://www.alastairbaxter.com/2011/01/a-sustainable-vision-for-greater-western-sydney/

Yeh, I already replied to this....in about 8 successive posts under it. Yesterday.

Most of the planning is done as tunnels, hence why theres no stations to close to riverbeds etc.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
the key issue with the proposal is population - no government has the cash to roll it out, and no business will invest in it because there aren't enough people who will use it, and they will do their dough. The cost/benefit even for a government wouldnt stack up - which is why it hasnt been done.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
It would be easier for this Government who don't seem to concern themselves with cost / benefit

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
There would need to be a dramatic change in the way sydney siders use public transport, but this can be changed in making the system efficient and sustainable. There are a number of ideas I had in mind when building this.

1. was to make it mandatory for the developers in the north and south west to build the train stations and lay some of the track, this would beneift both parties, particularly because it would raise house prices at that particular development site.

2. you could very easily make new train lines sustainable today, bringing political cred to the mix if one was to develop it. it would reduce the footprint of sydney ecologically so much, and could power itself (with the right designs, engineering and innovations) that the politician to enact it would have the ability to be deemed with as much respect as Macquarie was post death.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
It would be easier for this Government who don't seem to concern themselves with cost / benefit

State or Fed?

Fed govt already has a waste of money infrastructure roll out on their books.

State just has no money - irrespective of the benefit

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
There would need to be a dramatic change in the way sydney siders use public transport, but this can be changed in making the system efficient and sustainable. There are a number of ideas I had in mind when building this.

1. was to make it mandatory for the developers in the north and south west to build the train stations and lay some of the track, this would beneift both parties, particularly because it would raise house prices at that particular development site.

You cant - the developers would stand for it, and the cost of the infrastructure would'nt translate to sale prices without the development pricing itself out of the market. I.E, people would take advantage of the infrastructure and cheap prices by buying a house (or leasing an office) nearby. Anyway, developers already contribute to local and state infrastructure through mandatory development contributions - where that money goes is a mystery

2. you could very easily make new train lines sustainable today, bringing political cred to the mix if one was to develop it. it would reduce the footprint of sydney ecologically so much, and could power itself (with the right designs, engineering and innovations) that the politician to enact it would have the ability to be deemed with as much respect as Macquarie was post death.

and for $15bn you can lower our carbon emmissions to zero. but for everyone who supports investment on one element of infrastructure (eg broadband cable, new PT) there is another group to argue against spending the money. Politicians will not fund it because they believe they need to keep themselves in power to do anything. This sort of investment will need to come from the business sector, and they wont invest in PT because there arent enough people to use it. Or they will invest, then price themselves out of the market (like the airport train)

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
The main problem is accountability. Because we have both a state and national government, they simply blame the lack of infrastructure on each other. The state government blames the national government for not providing enough money for the project and the national government claims that transport is a state issue and not their responsibility.
Abolish the state governments, it is unnecessary.

The only way transport will evolve is if the corrupt state government lax the building laws. That way we can create a denser sydney population living closer to the city and the public transport systems will become profitable investments private organisations.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
people won't change the "australian dream" just to accomodate for infrastructure spending etc. Sydney will spread further and further and become more and more bogged down without proper infrastructure planning, humans don't change the way they live as a whole once used to a situation. high density aint gonna happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.