• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New and Better 2012+ Robbie-isms

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm excited!

Not only do we have a new Wallabies Test season about to start, just as tantalisingly we can again plot the course of one of most enjoyable aspects of such seasons under our fearless national coach - the unfolding array of pure Robbie-isms derived from media conferences and the like.

May I start this thread for the benefit of housing in one special place, the special material that is bound to soon unfold.

Input 1: From Robbie's presser yesterday to intro his new coaching group (minus Totality Tony, still working 24/7 in northern lands). Quoted by, of all people, Spiro Z (in attendance) in today's Roar, my emphasis:

SZ: The new Wallabies coaching staff is made up of Robbie Deans (sic), who says that the arrangement will take a lot of the trivial organisational work and allow him to “add substance”‘ (which he added “will be good for me”).

Robbie, super news that you'll be 'adding substance' and delighted it'll be good for you. Did you not add any prior to 2012, with the old coaching group, or was that you did add not good for you?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Input 2: This is not a direct quote, but is really a bit of a classic Robbie-ism by indirect reference.

Ben Horne, FoxSports, April 23, from the new coaches presser:

Deans confirmed there would likely be players in his squad who play a Super Rugby fixture and two Tests in the one week, but said there would be no excuses offered.

Did he mean 'no excuses' when the ambulance takes away the multiple Wallaby players who won't play again until 2013 after playing 3 top level games in 7 days?

antimony

Herbert Moran (7)
From the Australian,
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...eans-for-content/story-e6frg7o6-1226336570198

Deans said. "One of the advantages of Tony is that with his head coaching background he will have a great understanding of the things I need . . . He'll be another pair of hands to help me with . . . the logistical stuff."

I'm not sure what ... is when quoting someone but I'm sure hoping it was along pause while Deans thought, coaching, game plans, understanding what rocky has just said, Ah, "logistical stuff". (and maybe he can help me prepare for press conferences while he's at it)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
From the Australian,
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...eans-for-content/story-e6frg7o6-1226336570198

Deans said. "One of the advantages of Tony is that with his head coaching background he will have a great understanding of the things I need . . . He'll be another pair of hands to help me with . . . the logistical stuff."

I'm not sure what ... is when quoting someone but I'm sure hoping it was along pause while Deans thought, coaching, game plans, understanding what rocky has just said, Ah, "logistical stuff". (and maybe he can help me prepare for press conferences while he's at it)

Doesn't this quote entirely contradict the quote in the post starting the thread (I understand that that is part of the problem)? I would have thought that "organisational work" and "logistical stuff" are pretty close in meaning.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
"It's (McKenzie speculation) not a priority. There's no (extra pressure).""We're here to do a job and we've been concentrating on what's important to that end."
http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wallabies/wallabies-coach-robbie-deans-not-worried-about-talk-linking-reds-coach-ewen-mckenzie-to-his-job/story-e6frf55l-1226336511253 .

And if I may be so bold, this is really what he was refering to :
"It's (winning tests) not a priority. There's no (KPI's).""We're here to do a job and we've been concentrating on what's important to that end."

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
And if I may be so bold, this is really what he was refering to :
"It's (winning tests) not a priority. There's no (KPI's).""We're here to do a job and we've been concentrating on what's important to that end."

or

"It's (breathing) not a priority. There's no (point feeding oxygen to my brain)."

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Everyone is so harsh on Robbie Deans.

He's a former back from the South Island. It's a small miracle that he can string a sentence together in the first place.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Although this thread must stick to Robbie-isms in the raw, I do need Bruce Ross to deal with one - quoted indirectly - that might be of great significance to the contractual longevity of Totality Tony, and that I for one found alarming in such a context, namely:

Spriro Z: The new Wallabies coaching staff is made up of Robbie Deans (sic), who says that the arrangement will take a lot of the trivial organisational work and allow him to “add substance”‘ (which he added “will be good for me”).

Bruce, you have gained much insight into TT's declarations and derivatively his thinking re his Wallaby responsibilities, how do you assess TT will react to the notion from Robbie that a core job component of the coaching group will be 'taking a lot of the trivial organisation work' from Robbie as Head Coach? Do you think this new group will find such work motivating enough?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I have to admit I don't have much of an idea of what Robbie is saying in press conferences at times, but I have had a general conversation with him and there were no Robbie-isms.
Perhaps he doesn't enjoy the press stuff and is more guarded/cryptic in his responses because of it.
Perhaps it's a normal Christchurch trait and they can't understand a thing we say.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
A new discovery tonight, perhaps more of Robbie bronze than the silvers and golds above, but importantly sheds new light on what is now required inside the 2012 Wallabies, and that's better driving of 'processes and outcomes'. And Robbie has started to define that 'substance' he noted in above posts that he would now be happy to add to the team, and that will be items like 'point-of-difference stuff', etc. And 'the young group' has 'experience on their shoulders'. Better on shoulders (?) than elsewhere, I guess.

Bret Harris, The Australian, April 24, direct Robbie quotes:
Asked what areas he would look to focus on, Deans said: "Point-of-difference stuff around strategy, around interaction with the playing group, advancing our ability to lead whether it be designated leaders or individuals within the team itself is key for us.

"We've got a young group, which has experience on their shoulders. We've got to increase their capacity to drive processes and outcomes."

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
A new discovery tonight, perhaps more of Robbie bronze than the silvers and golds above, but importantly sheds new light on what is now required inside the 2012 Wallabies, and that's better driving of 'processes and outcomes'. And Robbie has started to define that 'substance' he noted in above posts that he would now be happy to add to the team, and that will be items like 'point-of-difference stuff', etc. And 'the young group' has 'experience on their shoulders'. Better on shoulders (?) than elsewhere, I guess.

Bret Harris, The Australian, April 24, direct Robbie quotes:

= Fostering leadership in our playergroup.

Admirable, but let's face it, utterly fails the corporatespeak test.

My guess? Robbie is a plain speaker who got burnt by the press and now utilises robbiespeak.

Sent from my Razr using Tapatalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.