• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
New coaches at the Blues and Canes are leading to players who haven't played for the ABs yet really putting their hands up for ABs consideration

For the Canes Numia, Lakai, Iose, Proctor (should already be capped), Naholo, Love

For the Blues McWhannell, Riccitelli, Funaki and Plummer come to mind. The last two would need to continue their form of recent weeks but they have been seriously impressive at 9 and 10.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
@KiwiM , mate think there is almost no chance of Funaki making team, I just don't see it. I don't mind him or Plummer (who I reckon is seriously underestimated) but I think it a bit of a stretch to see either go close.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
@KiwiM , mate think there is almost no chance of Funaki making team, I just don't see it. I don't mind him or Plummer (who I reckon is seriously underestimated) but I think it a bit of a stretch to see either go close.

Whilst I don't disagree with you - my question would be why (assuming both continue their form and are allowed to continue to start).

There's paddling pool depth at 10 and Christie is simply not as good of a 9 as Funaki. The 4 halfbacks for 3 spots should be Perenara, Fakatava, Ratima and Funaki

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
New coaches at the Blues and Canes are leading to players who haven't played for the ABs yet really putting their hands up for ABs consideration

For the Canes Numia, Lakai, Iose, Proctor (should already be capped), Naholo, Love

For the Blues McWhannell, Riccitelli, Funaki and Plummer come to mind. The last two would need to continue their form of recent weeks but they have been seriously impressive at 9 and 10.
So used to the tenure tracked bullshit of AB setup (ffs was Cane made AB captain elect when he was still in school?) that it seems jarring to even consider these names.

How nuts would it be if Razor went in with a completely blank agenda. Havili? Tupeaa? The fuck have you knobs done for me lately? Super Rugby Superstar and Test Flop Codie Taylor? Josh Lord? You never even play mate. Tupou Vaai? Work Experience Boy who's never done shit, manning the engine room in a backpedalling scrum, BBarrett, Cane, I cant even see you fluffybunnyz so dont expect me to traipse around the world keeping up with your little "sabbaticals'' (you're not uni professors wft are you even calling it that for).

So why not Mcwhannell etc?

Razor does NOT seem like the kind of company man who will just select guys cos the last guy in charge selected them. Or because he's "scared" of losing his first few tests.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Whilst I don't disagree with you - my question would be why (assuming both continue their form and are allowed to continue to start).

There's paddling pool depth at 10 and Christie is simply not as good of a 9 as Funaki. The 4 halfbacks for 3 spots should be Perenara, Fakatava, Ratima and Funaki
Just opinion mate, I would think Plummer has more chance then Funaki, who I don't see as better than Christie anyway. He played well in a couple of games, and if I thought test packs were going to stand aside and let us run wherever we wanted like Brumbies did, I would think anyone could be our 9. Blues pack were really superb on Saturday I thought. I strongly suspect most 9s would of looekd bloody good playing for Blues on weekend.
I will be surprised if Christie isn't around AB squad this year.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Funaki, who I don't see as better than Christie anyway.

I guess that's where we differ. Funaki in my view is much stronger in contact (look at his work with messy ball and cleaning out), a better runner, has a lower error rate is a more accurate passer and doesn't make the regular bone headed decisions that Christie does. Funaki in my view is an ascending player whereas Christie has reached his limited ceiling.

I agree Christie will be around the ABs this year. Doesn't mean I agree with the decision.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I guess that's where we differ. Funaki in my view is much stronger in contact (look at his work with messy ball and cleaning out), a better runner, has a lower error rate is a more accurate passer and doesn't make the regular bone headed decisions that Christie does. Funaki in my view is an ascending player whereas Christie has reached his limited ceiling.

I agree Christie will be around the ABs this year. Doesn't mean I agree with the decision.
Likewise I don't disagree that Funaki appears on way up, and could well surpass Christie. I will tend to swing his way when he the pack in front of him are not quite so dominant, which is not to downplay how well he going, he can hardly want his pack to go on backfoot to prove a point can he? I do genuinely think we blessed with a few bloody good 9s in the country at moment, and buggered if I know why.