• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand v Australia - Auckland - 23 August 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
so you're saying it wasn't a high shot on Folau. ?

and that the winger's feet weren't in touch when he played at the ball.

go look for yourself buddy - fairs fair and if the ref was fai could have been much closer ball game.

not to mention coming in from the side on rucks is ok too??

lautua taken out the half back. mate list goes on.

fact is doesn't help the code in this country at all when officials don't play by the rules let alone the cheating pricks from kiwiland. =)

I learnt all about "bad referees" from my dad. I love the man but he's biased as fuck. Every game he watches in whatever sport the referee is out to get his team. He never once sees the referee get anything wrong for the opposition.

He watches a lot of soccer and if he had his way most of the games would be abandoned due to all the sendings off from the yellow and red cards he calls.

Any one eyed fan can pick out things that the ref got wrong for their team. I'm sure there are plenty of one eye NZ fans who, based on the exact same refereeing performance, would have a list as long as your arm full of things Poite got wrong against the ABs if they'd lost.

Yes the high tackle was missed on Folau and the ball should have been called out. But then White was probably lucky to escape a yellow card at the penalty try.

Having put up with my dad for so many years I've pretty much been forced to be extremely unbiased to restore balance to the universe.

From my neutrals (although I was cheering for the Wobs) view I thought Poite had a pretty good game and there were plenty of guys in gold who'd be hung out to dry if players were judged by the same standards we hold our officials to.

NZ schooled Aus tonight and it wouldn't have mattered what referee was out there tonight, that wouldn't have changed.

Over time luck with referees balances itself out. If you feel that the referee is against you every time then maybe what I told my dad once is actually true. I told him either he's a little too biased or there's some massive conspiracy where the referees use ESP to determine which team he's cheering for and then purposely make every wrong decision in favour of the opposition.

He's getting on a bit and one of the funniest things happened last year. He was watching Manchester United play and for the first 20 minutes he was complaining about how the referee was "cheating" his beloved reds and making all the calls in favour of the opposition.

It was at the 20 minute mark that I couldn't keep my laughter in any longer and I pointed out that Man U were playing in blue and he'd been complaining about the referee "cheating" in favour for Man U for the entire game. He promptly switched to complaining about how the referee was favouring the team in red for the rest of the game.

Everyone can find things they feel the referee is doing wrong against their team in every game.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Anyone with a little black fuckin fern at the top of their post needs to show some respect and go away right now. Let us mourn in peace without your input damn it. I don't give a rats ass how nice or accurate or encouraging you want to be..bugger off!

As the first AB supporter to join TYS I feel as the elder statesman to hang around to witness this mourning :)

Commiserations to the Wallaby supporters.

One of the best test matches by an AB tight 5 for some time. The pop passing, the catching, the lines they ran, the support play and the physicality at the ruck. What sticks out is how guys like Franks and Crockett are now comfortable at 1st receiver to make those passes or even run a line as a 2nd receiver to get past the gain line and throw a pop pass.

Retallick and Whitelock rarely fail to disappoint when it comes to physicality. Thought McCaw was a defensive beast tonight. He took a pounding himself (as I thought Hooper did as well), but I noticed that when he goes into compete for the ball he does attract a minimum of 2 or 3 Wallabies. It does ensure that we don't have to commit to many and we have a well resourced defensive line.

The two Azza's showed tonight that they are extremely tough to stop when they get a sniff. Both make good decisions. Was good to see Smith take advantage of the space the OZ defence was leaving around the ruck by running with the ball.

Ben Smith reminds me a lot of Leon MacDonald at fullback, just has a knack of always beating that first up tackler. Makes a huge difference to the speed in which we get the ball out.

Was a shame that Crotty had to go off in his first start as an AB, thought he was playing well. Just makes good decisions and is a terrific support player.

Savea was a real handful tonight. He ran with pace and from depth which was great to see.

Bring on the Argies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Carlos is actually one of my fav all time players.
Didn't mean to infer anything derogatory about him,just that he actually played plenty of Tests.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Carlos is actually one of my fav all time players.
Didn't mean to infer anything derogatory about him,just that he actually played plenty of Tests.

All good. I certainly didn't take it that way mate.

He had an interesting test career. Started in the mid 90s and got his chance. Then lost the 10 jersey to Tony Brown for a while and Merts. Then under Mitchell was brought back whilst Merts had some off field matters to deal with.

I know he threw that intercept, but overall I thought he was one of our better players in the 03 WC semi that never happened.

As for Beale, he really struggled tonight and when you struggle you fallback into those 'natural' habits and for Beale it's trying to force the play or running lateral or not going into contact. I listened with the Fox commentary this week and I couldn't help but think a lot of Kearns comments when he used the L word was directed at Beale. Defensively I thought he wasn't working hard. Now he may have, but on viewing it didn't come across that way.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Really? Lose 51-20 and totally outplayed in every aspect of the game and it's not bad?:confused:
IF we win in Brisbane and payper was just as bad as this French bloke. I isn't see us get away with anything. They got away with a lot.

Actually I take that back. I watched last week in a small screen with no sound at a party. The only thing I thought he missed was the second lady scrum of the game. Should of been a wallabies penalty.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It really pains me to say but Wob fans have eclipsed the Poms as the biggest whingers for the last few years. I miss the days when Aussies would take it on the chin then come back twice as hard in the future. It can't be the refs fault every time you lose.
What about the silent majority who acknowledge the All Blacks comprehensively outplayed us in all facets.

Unfair to tar us with the same brush because of one cherry-picked whinger.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
What about the silent majority who acknowledge the All Blacks comprehensively outplayed us in all facets.

All blacks defiantly out played the wallabies. No doubt.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Where do you get your figures from? Here are some. You are way off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rugby_union_playing_countries
Not sure this is the thread for Australia's rugby player numbers to be discussed, but the numbers are misleading on their own.

In a population of 23.5 million, Australia has 297,000 registered players (~1% of the population).

New Zealand, with a population of 4.5 million, has 147,000 registered players (~3% of the population).

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Fair play to them I say and all due respect. As you say most fans will say fair enough and we can all have a drink and a laugh after games and swap stories. Long may that continue.

In the case of whingers it pretty much always a minority of vocal fans who do it. I don't think there's ever been a case where whingers have been in the majority in any nation or rugby community. Although they make so much noise that at times it can feel they're the majority.

When the majority of fans are up in arms about something it's generally because there's a genuine grievance and I wouldn't call that whinging.

The English have been behaving themselves on the whinging front over the last few years since Lancaster took over. However I fully expect them to reclaim their crown during next year's RWC fuelled by one of the most rancid print media in the world.

M

Moono75

No. Apart from one drop that led to an AB's try, Carter was more involved and had more quality involvements than Simmons. Time for Kev to come back in place of Rob.

that's like comparing a shit with a turd.....in the end they were both poo.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Congrats to the all blacks fans. Another year with the Bledisloe. :( defiantly deserved it. Sorry for the whinging. I can pick times in the game we were hard done by all I want but at the end of the day we weren't good enough to beat the all blacks.

England did well against the boks with a more
Structured game. I don't understand why we don't have foley starting for these games.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
As a proud Wallabies supporter, like many others on this forum, I would usually find a few positives out of a match to make things seem better, but last night was very, very ordinary.

I don't mean to be a dick and bag them out, but seriously! You know, I was reading a great article by Bob Dwyer (I'll try to find it) about how important the basics were when he was coaching, i.e. catch and pass, body position. And all this 'flare' was completely redundant if you can even execute the fundamentals.

The amount of drop ball tonight was ridiculous. Every time the Wallabies were putting pressure on....a shitty mistake or turnover. Just so bloody frustrating.

Anyway, I'll shut up now. I just hope they can put in a better performance in front of a home crowd up here in Brisbane next week.

I hope a bit of mongrel comes out in all of them. Unleash the Skelton.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Amen Filth.

The Waratahs season was all about the basics- speed of realignment, communication in defence, passing in front of the man, hitting the line at pace, looking for the offload where you can. Same with the Reds of 2011.

Where was that tonight? We looked disorganised, our skills were poor and our attitude worse.

As usual the critics flock to put the boot into a flashy backline player and ignore the fact that like all rugby games it was won and lost in the forwards, and we got DICKED.

Were you even out there Simmons? Ah yes because you copped a yellow. But what do you bring to the table? The lineout, maybe. But our lineout hasn't been that good. We didn't get close to pinching any of theirs, but they got a few of ours. I'm not sure the 'lineout general' tag is enough to keep you in the team considering how little you have offered around the field in the last two tests.

I'm not sure Carter is ready either. The little weaknesses he showed last test (carried high and soft) were brutally exposed this week, and will be again.

Palu and Fardy didn't cover themselves in glory either, and we really missed Squeak/TPN- Hanson did well for injury cover but he's just not in that class.

It's not time to throw the baby out with the bathwater- we are still a good side and I am willing to write this one off as a bad day at the office by and large. But we need to bounce back hard.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Argies currently leading SA 13-6, 29 minutes in.
Look to be much more competitive this year. At least in the first half.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
It is upsetting to lose so badly, but at least it is to a higher ranked team. If we lose twice to a lower ranked team then it is a sign of really bad things.

I guess this must be similar to being a NZ cricket fan playing Australia, they are not expected to win when they do it is oh so sweet.

I dont expect to beat the All Blacks, but expect to be in with some chance of contention.

Status
Not open for further replies.