• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Australia - Bledisloe 2, 24th August 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
What exactly did you expect, if the celebrated and danced around would you label them arrogant and bad sports? McCaw seemed quite humble in victory, acting in the manner that I would expect of our captain if we beat another team for the 11th year in a row.

The AB's victories are a product of their efforts in training and preparation, you don't win Test matches in the manner they do without deserving it.
Not at all. They won. Dance celebrate. Go nuts. I wouldn't call that bad sportsmanship at all. That's crazy talk surley? You can't express your emotions when winning?

I agree about McCaw

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Got to watch the game and although the Wobs only have themselves to blame Peyper had a crap game.

The ABs should have been carded when they infringed deliberately for the fourth time when the Wobs were attacking in their 22. It seems to obviously premeditated. Once there is a breakdown in the 22 they do everything to stop the recycle. All teams do it to an extent but I have never see it done as blatantly as I did last night. They will keep doing it. Last season they took the space beyond the ruck until they started getting blown up. This year it seems to be the professional fouls in the 22. Fair play to them. They push the boundaries better than our teams do so we should just suck it up. All team try to push the boundaries. The ABs are just much better at it.

Oh and I really, really don't understand why Ben Alexander is still at 3. If Link needed confirmation after the Lions series that he indeed was not up to it, he now definitely has it.

Where has Genia's mojo gone? Seems to be the shadow of his former self. Very few attempted breaks and some really average decision making. Right now if I was a Wob fan that would be my number one worry.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm anticipating a few articles critical of the ref during the week. So here's an idea...

Count how many 5+ phases each side had uninterrupted by the ref, or the opposition. Then proceed to tell us how the ref ruined any chance of the wallabies scoring.

One trend i did notice was NZ seeming more content giving away a penalty when the other team has advantage. Something to watch, but no it didn't lose us the bledisloe. And this is the sort of tactic to expect from professional teams. If you can't handle the thought of that, test rugby is not the game for you, go and watch a club rugby 2nd grade game.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I'm a fair bit more positive after watching the replay, reckon there were some clear signs of improvement from last week.

To'omua was MUCH better - more involved, lead the team well and took the ball to the line at a few appropriate times. Defence needs a bit of work, but that can be fixed.

Forwards were slightly more effective than last week, but ultimately not enough. Fardy very solid, Hooper and Horwill also OK.

Mowen had good moments and bad, Simmons was anonymous, front row were all poor. If I see James Slipper get the ball in the backline in space and dummy to Israel Folau again I am going to fucking belt him.

JOC (James O'Connor) and Folau need to be involved more. Mogg running game completely absent again, really sad.

Genia terrible. Worst on ground by far. Didn't snipe once, kicked badly, botched tryscoring chance with crazy long pass to Fardy.

Ref was poor. Didn't make a huge amount of mistakes, but almost all of the ones he made favoured the ABs.
Agree with most of that, although I thought Slipper was actually one of our best.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
No celebration. They have played each other 146 times! This surpasses the 131 matches between England and Scotland [which began in 1870]. My point is, they play each other way too often!

T

TOCC

Not at all. They won. Dance celebrate. Go nuts. I wouldn't call that bad sportsmanship at all. That's crazy talk surley? You can't express your emotions when winning?

I agree about McCaw

To be fair they are only 2 matches down in the Rugby Championship, to start celebrating now would be premature.. Yes they retained the Bledisloe, but that will count for little in the eyes of their fans if they lose their remaining tests against Aus and RSA

Gurz

Allen Oxlade (6)
New rugby laws per Saffa refs: (only apply to kiwis though)
You are now allowed to repeatedly infringe and not get yellow carded
You are now allowed to stomp players
You are now allowed to use the shoulder
You are now allowed to bore in at the scrum

i but if you an Aussie you can't.... Hey Joubert and Peyper...

2 from 2 weeks Saffa refs ruined the games - echo thoughts of previous poster my premium foxtel subscription maybe getting cancelled as I just don't need the stress of watching such a corrupted mismanaged sport.... The reffing is inexcusable beyond a friggin joke how one sided it is... Eg the time looked like pepper was going to the pocket and Joubert pipes up for penalty against mower for something the kiwis do at every breakdown..... Shocking so pissed off with this sport ATM.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
New rugby laws per Saffa refs: (only apply to kiwis though)
You are now allowed to repeatedly infringe and not get yellow carded
You are now allowed to stomp players
You are now allowed to use the shoulder
You are now allowed to bore in at the scrum

i but if you an Aussie you can't.. Hey Joubert and Peyper.

2 from 2 weeks Saffa refs ruined the games - echo thoughts of previous poster my premium foxtel subscription maybe getting cancelled as I just don't need the stress of watching such a corrupted mismanaged sport.. The reffing is inexcusable beyond a friggin joke how one sided it is. Eg the time looked like pepper was going to the pocket and Joubert pipes up for penalty against mower for something the kiwis do at every breakdown... Shocking so pissed off with this sport ATM.

Good, rugby is better off without serial wingers. Maybe lawn bowls is more your sport, less officiating decisions to worry about.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
The main problem is the ABs are just a better side than us at the moment. Not by a lot, but enough so that they can cope with a few poor calls and still get away with the win.
On the other hand we need the rub of the green to go our way. When we do sneak a cherished victory over the ABs it is usually by a narrow margin. A disallowed try or a missed indiscretion that leads to an AB try is often enough to make the difference between a win and a loss. (ref the Ritchie McCaw time travel incident)
We don't hear as much about the poor calls that go against the ABs because they usually dont decide the outcome of the game.
For now, the ABs are good enough to take the ref out of the equation.
We aren't.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)

Pen/FK For Pen/FK Against

NEW ZEALAND 43 35
AUSTRALIA 39 39
SOUTH AFRICA 30 38
YELLOW CARDS
There were 6 yellow cards issued during the championship (2006 – 3).
Of the 6 matches, there were 5 which contained at least one yellow card , meaning 1 (or 17%) of all matches did not contain a single yellow card. The most yellow cards in one match was 2 – this happened on 2 occasions (Australia v South
Africa)

Foul play 1
Offside at ruck 1
Ruck/Tackle – Hands in Ruck 2
Ruck/Tackle – Preventing Release 2

SA - 5
NZ - 1
Aus - 0

NEW ZEALAND 63 71
AUSTRALIA 81 67
SOUTH AFRICA 62 68

Ruck/tackle on ground 51%

NEW ZEALAND 56 70
AUSTRALIA 67 59
SOUTH AFRICA 59 53

Ruck/tackle on ground 59%

YC
Dangerous Tackle 5
Ruck/Tackle Preventing release 2
Foul play 1
Preventing Throw in 1

SA 4
NZ 1
Aus 4

SOUTH AFRICA 68 58
ARGENTINA 74 73
NEW ZEALAND 69 72
AUSTRALIA 64 72

Ruck/Tackle 50%
Scrum 17%
Offside 16%
Dangerous Tackle 5%
Obstruction 5%
Maul 3%
Other 3%
Lineout 1%
Foul Play >1%

YC
AUSTRALIA 4
Playing opponent without ball/player off
feet x 2/not rolling away
SOUTH AFRICA 2 Playing opponent without ball/striking
ARGENTINA 2 Deliberate knock on/repeated infringement
NEW ZEALAND 1 Offside ruck

Count all the penalties up and consider around 50 percent is breakdown offenses and most yellows like 50 are for repeated breakdown offenses,

T

TooEasyWobbles

Of all the stats out of last nights game the most important one was the 16-8 penalty count in favour of the ABs..take out the ridiculous reversal for Mowen's 'indiscretion' alone and that stat comes back to 15-9 and the scoreline to (possibly) 20-19

Unlikely. If it was that close, the ABs would've lifted as they always do and they would have scored again. That's an overly simplistic view of course, but NZ are so good at composing themselves in those situations, they can maintain scorelines very well.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
having read most of the foregoing, i agree with the general thrust. the wobs were better but still not good enough.

peyper was poor. some decisions certainly cost australia both momentum and points. he was not however the major reason we lost the game.
our skill level and execution are not of the same standard as the AB's and hasn't been for some time. for those that saw the rugby club on thursday the most telling footage for me was a short film clip of the wallabies training, in three passages of unopposed play, the ball was dropped twice and a forward pass on the third, hardly the perfection one should see on the training field from professional sportsmen.
"All errors in play are caused by faulty technique under pressure" - Bob Dwyer
i also think that genia is well below his best, slow service but in particular really poor decision making, crappy box kicks and the pass to fardy wtf! is he missing QC (Quade Cooper) or just off his game completely.
link has plenty to work on and with, but i can't see it turning around for sometime.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Unlikely. If it was that close, the ABs would've lifted as they always do and they would have scored again. That's an overly simplistic view of course, but NZ are so good at composing themselves in those situations, they can maintain scorelines very well.

yeah, my view on points changing decisions is that the entire game from thereon would play out differently so it's erroneous to adjust the scoreline simply by that number of points, unless of course it's the last play of the game. which is why I bracketed the word 'possibly', but the point being it changed the momentum from the Wobs to the AB's.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)

Overly simplistic? Fucking ridiculous is what that view is.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The ABs should have been carded when they infringed deliberately for the fourth time when the Wobs were attacking in their 22. It seems to obviously premeditated. Once there is a breakdown in the 22 they do everything to stop the recycle. All teams do it to an extent but I have never see it done as blatantly as I did last night. They will keep doing it. Last season they took the space beyond the ruck until they started getting blown up. This year it seems to be the professional fouls in the 22. Fair play to them. They push the boundaries better than our teams do so we should just suck it up. All team try to push the boundaries. The ABs are just much better at it.

But if it's even that obvious to a bloke wearing your glasses, then what the fuck is wrong with refs? :)

I blame Horwill personally. He needs to get into the ref's eat in the right manner. Not carrying on about last week!

T

TooEasyWobbles

an alternate view could be that the penalty kick went over and lifted the Wallablies to victory..either way, we'll never know and it's academic.

I agree. However, as with all Australia sports teams, if their supporters weren't fair weather supporters, they'd probably do much better. Support your teams through thick or thin guys! All Countries do it except for Australia. Maybe the problem isn't so much the teams as it is the supporters?

Status
Not open for further replies.