• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
All Blacks coach Steve Hansen says it's time to start regenerating talent in his world champion squad.

Hansen said he and his five-strong selection group had no hesitation in introducing three debutants to test rugby for the season-opener against Ireland at Eden Park on Saturday night.

"We've gone with a very experienced side but we've also looked to bring in young players who have been in outstanding form in Super Rugby," said Hansen as he unveiled a lineup that will feature first test caps for Brodie Retallick (lock), Aaron Smith (halfback) and Julian Savea (wing).

In the only other contentious selection Hansen has gone with Hurricanes flanker Victor Vito at No 6 ahead of his Highlanders rival Adam Thomson who is on the bench. Crusader Zac Guildford also gets first crack on the right wing, getting the nod ahead of Hosea Gear and utility Ben Smith who is on the bench.

Other than that the lineup features plenty of World Cup-winning experience, with Daniel Carter (set to become the most capped first five in All Black history) restored to his No 10 jersey after he missed the business end of that tournament with that serious groin injury and Sonny Bill Williams getting the first chance at second five-eighths as Ma'a Nonu gets some much-needed rest.

"Right from the word go we've said to win test matches you need experience, but we also have to start introducing some younger people into our squad because you just can't keep the same people forever and a day," added Hansen.

"The more experience you have the easier it is because they've been there before and done it and understand what it's like. I makes it easier for these [young] guys because they've got someone to talk to and can say 'hey, it's OK just be yourself, do what you need do and we'll be there to support you'."

Hansen said Aaron Smith needed to start this test to get a chance to show he could bring that crisp delivery of his to the test arena.

"The style of game he plays, we'd like him to get the opportunity to go through the starting process and bring his game to the party and use Piri [Weepu] to come off the bench, and if we need to change the game or if we need his experience at the end we can do that."

Hansen also had no fears his young halfback would not provide the vocal direction his forwards need.

"He's very good at it, he's a cheeky wee man. The forwards expect halfbacks to talk, coaches do too, and halfbacks like obliging because they like talking."

The coach said it was also not a hard call to opt for Retallick, who has been so impressive for the Chiefs in his rookie Super Rugby season, ahead of out-of-form veteran Ali Williams. At 21 years and seven days he will become the second youngest lock in All Black history, just two days older than Mark Cooksley on his debut in 1992.

"[He's] been in outstanding form and deserves his opportunity to start. It's the same thing with Pow (Weepu), we've got an experienced guy that can come on and help if we need that at the end."

Vito got the nod over Thomson for the test because of two key factors.

"Adam has had a big season with the Highlanders," said Hansen. "We're really looking to Victor to bring his physical game to be honest. Thommo can concentrate this week on catching his breath and coming off the bench."

Hansen also lauded the progression made by Williams this season, comparing the converted league international to Brad Thorn in his coming of age in the XV-man code.

"He's definitely made huge strides," said Hansen of the Chiefs No 12. "He's in the same boat as Brad who took about four years to go from a converted player to understanding the game. We're seeing exactly the same thing with Sonny.

"He's come into our game with a number of skills but he just didn't know when to unlock them or use them. This season we're seeing a guy whose understanding the game and the role he has in it.

"We know he's a freak. He can do whatever he wants with the ball. Having that extra understanding has made him go up three or four levels. He's been outstanding."

Hansen also said the All Blacks, and New Zealand, had been reminded about the level they needed to meet by Scotland's upset over the Wallabies on Tuesday night.

"Clearly Australia may have underestimated Scotland. They've got a pretty busy week and maybe they were thinking about that second test they had this week. We just can' fall into that trap. We've got to hit the ground
running, and running hard."

1- Tony Woodcock
2- Andrew Hore (Highlanders)
3- Owen Franks (Crusaders)
4- Brodie Rettalick (Chiefs)
5- Samuel Whitelock (Crusaders)
6- Victor Vito (Hurricanes)
7- Richie McCaw (Crusaders)
8- Kieran Reid (Crusaders)
9- Aaron Smith (Highlanders)
10- Daniel Carter (Crusaders)
11- Julian Savea (Hurricanes)
12- Sonny Bill Williams (Chiefs)
13- Conrad Smith (Hurricanes)
14- Zac Guildford (Crusaders)
15- Israel Dagg (Crusaders)

16- Hika Elliot (Chiefs)
17- Ben Franks (Crusaders)
18- Ali Williams (Blues)
19- Adam Thompson (Highlanders)
20- Piri Weepu (Blues)
21- Aaron Cruden (Chiefs)
22- Ben Smith (Highlanders)

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Happy with the team except I don't rate Guildford at test match level.
Great to see Vito over Thomson for his extra physicality.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Happy with the team except I don't rate Guildford at test match level.
Great to see Vito over Thomson for his extra physicality.

Guildford is a worker, just like Howlett, Turner and Habana, he is less likely to break 10 tackles in one run, likely to chase every kick hard, tackle strongly and work hard to support the ball carrier.

You need units like that, they do the 1%'ers

saderista

Bob McCowan (2)
Very pleased with that side, Shag and his team not afraid to give the new guys a starting spot.
I really like the fact that Retallic and Whitelock are playing together, the more these to play together the better, thy should be world class come 2015.

Congratulations to the new guys, well done.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Good that Smith was selected over Piri, but that being said, the two form NZ halfbacks aren't even in the squad at the moment.

Form is only part of the equation.

Selectors have already said that Pernara is too 'green' and they don't want to throw him in too early.

And Ellis - like Piri - is a known quantity at international level. I'd take Piri over Ellis every day of the week for the ABs.

saderista

Bob McCowan (2)
Irish named.

Ireland coach Declan Kidney has chosen to go with the exciting uncapped Simon Zebo on the wing for Saturday night's test against the All Blacks at Eden Park.
The other new cap in the team is at tighthead prop with Declan Fitzpatrick getting the nod.
Zebo, who is the youngest member of the touring squad at 22, starts on the left wing in a team that has an average age
of just over 26 and includes a new centre partnership between Keith Earls and returning captain Brian O'Driscoll, who missed all of the Six Nations Championship due to injury.
Fergus McFadden starts on the right wing in a back three that includes Zebo and Rob Kearney at full back. Jonathan Sexton starts at No.10 and is partnered by Conor Murray.
Kidney has gone with Jonathan Sexton at first-five, choosing to start the veteran Ronan O'Gara from the bench.
Fitzpatrick gets his start at tighthead prop after Mike Ross failed to recover sufficiently from the hamstring strain that has been bothering him over the last two weeks.
Fitzpatrick will start alongside loose head Cian Healy and hooker Rory Best, who will be winning his 60th cap.
Lock Dan Touhy will make his first start for Ireland after making his debut against the All Blacks as a replacement in 2010 and will partner Donnacha Ryan. Behind them, Peter O'Mahony, Sean O'Brien and Jamie Heaslip are all named to start in the back row.
Ireland: Rob Kearney, Fergus McFadden, Brian O'Driscoll (capt), Keith Earls, Simon Zebo, Jonathan Sexton, Conor Murray, Jamie Heaslip, Sean O'Brien, Peter Mahony, Donnacha Ryan, Dan Touhy, Declan Fitzpatrick, Rory Best, Cian Healy. Reserves: Sean Cronin, Ronan Loughney, Donncha O'Callaghan, Kevin McLaughlin, Eoin Reddan, Ronan O'Gara, Darren Cave.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...o-new-caps-in-Ireland-team-to-face-All-Blacks

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Geez, even the newspapers can't spell his name.

It's Kieran Read (Crusaders), not Reid.

Further, Adam Thomson doesn't have a p in his name.

Pretty obvious the 15 he was going to pick, given the 30-man squad. A strong enough side with plenty of players from inside and outside the squad to replace non performers.
Given Ireland's injury concerns I'd be a little worried for them.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Ross will be a big miss for Ireland, but not as bad as it could have been due to the emergence for Fitzpatrick thanks largely to Afoa's ban.

It's great the D'Arcy is no where near the starting team let alone in the squad, it should have happened for the 6Ns though. However it's ironic that he finally gets dropped just when he finds a bit of form, he was superb in the HEC final. I've very excited to see how BOD and Earls go in the centres together, Earls will probably be targeted due to his defence but he offers a lot more the D'Arcy in attack.

Wings have been decimated with injuries at the end of the NH season and again the rise of an Irish player owes much to the absence of a former AB. Howlett's injury paved the way for Zebo and he's taken his chance with both hands.

McFadden is an exciting prospect but still there are worries about his defence and again it might be another area that NZ will look to exploit.

Back row will miss Ferris, I think any team in the world would miss a player of his quality, but O'Mahony (article got his name wrong on the team sheet, but seems a typo as they got it right in the body) has been one of the shinning lights as Munster look to rebuild their pack.

Finally Donnacha Ryan is started ahead of Donncha O'Callaghan in a move many have been calling for in Ireland since the WC. Ryan has been starting at Munster and keeping DOC on the bench so it's about time it happened in green also. DOC is one of very few players who can make an instant impact from the bench and doesn't need much time to feel his way into a game. Along with Touhy it's an inexperienced 2nd row partnership especially looking at how often POC and DOC player together for Ireland.

Glad to see Kevin McLaughlin get a spot on the bench, hope he also gets at least 20 minutes on the pitch, he's really starting to come of age now and deserves his shot.

Cave on the bench is also earned as he's been impressive this year for Ulster and he's looked really good for the Wolfhounds in the last few years.

It's much closer to the team I was calling for at the start of the 6Ns and I would be more confident about our chances if Deccie had used that competition to blood these guys and give them time to gel. However it's hard to be confident against a team you've never beaten, so let's say that I'm hopeful.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Reading that AB's starting side the reaction I get is "damn AB's, you scary!". That's one hell of a side.

I like & enjoy watching a lot of those AB players normally but not against the country of my ancestors - come on Ireland defy the odds!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Good that Smith was selected over Piri, but that being said, the two form NZ halfbacks aren't even in the squad at the moment.
I think Smith was always going to start over Piri, also believe it was Smith that kept Ellis out of ABs, not Piri, Piri would be there to change the style of game Abs are playing if required, not sure if Ellis could do that.
Also am really looking forward to see how Carter operates if Smith plays to his capabilty and strength, which is quick and fairly long pass, I mean Carter with time cause a few headaches.
I am a bit worried as I really like the look of team, usually a couple I not too sure about.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Delighted with the Ireland side although obviously we will miss two world class players in POC and Bueller.

Declan Fitzpatrick has been on my radar for a while and I am pleased for him that he has got a run of games after having a brutal time with injuries; he is just the sort of ugly, cussed fella you want as a three and I have a feeling he will be fine at scrumtime.

Tuohy and DR is the best second row combination available and DOC off the bench is the best place for him although I am disappointed that Toner is not in NZ instead.

Hope it is POM 6 and SOB 7 as stated but Heaslip really needs to step up and be the leader in the back 5 of that very inexperienced pack of forwards.

Hope CM and Sexton finally start to click, CM has been good when fit in 2012.

Can't wait to see the Earl line up with BOD. BOD's distribution since he has returned with two working shoulders has been outstanding and Keet's tackling partnership with Donncha Ryan at Munster has stood to him.

Pleased to see the Zebo unleashed, he has had a good break (unfortunately) which I hope has sharpened him up. McFadden copped plenty of flak for the Wales game but I would say he was put into a near impossible position by the late call up and being played next door to D'Arcy. Hope Kearney does not have alot of tackling to do and NZ try and kick the hell out of him but I don't think they will be that stupid.

Pleased to see a two sided prop on the bench after the Twickenham debacle, congratulations Ronan Loughney who has worked his Bollix off for Connacht and deserves his chance. Cave is there on merit although, much as it pains me to say it, I would sooner ROG was back in Cork and Madigan was getting the run.

No one will give Ireland a chance and that NZ side is terrifying but I think some of these fellas could surprise a few!! Ireland to win by 5.;)

P.S. Bardon, did you catch the U20s great victory over the baby Boks? Iain Henderson, Tadhg Furlong, Luke McGrath and JJ Hanrahan are the future and the future looks bright!!!!!!!

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
P.S. Bardon, did you catch the U20s great victory over the baby Boks? Iain Henderson, Tadhg Furlong, Luke McGrath and JJ Hanrahan are the future and the future looks bright!!!!!!!

Yes they are the most promising crop of youngsters since BOD etc. played underage rugby.

W

wilsonrob

The AB team looks pretty good. Bit dissapointed for thommo, he is a far better all round player than Vito imo, but I suspect that he may also be getting rested after such a huge workload in the S15 so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.