• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Next podcast guest: Brett Gosper - CEO OF THE IRB

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Anyone else having trouble downloading this podcast? it's not working on podbean or itunes for me.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I enjoyed listening to most of the podcast. One quibble with Gosper's spiel, is the assertion that because NZ had 130,000 visitors for the RWC, that translates into a huge economic benefit.

Maybe it does. Or maybe those 130,000 visitors simply replaced an equivalent number of tourists who would have come there anyway, or a fair number of them, anyway.

My guess is that there is a net benefit, but that it is nowhere near the gross benefit that proponents of events like this claim.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What is your favourite rugby moment?

I am new to the podcast download game, so this may be a redundant observation/suggestion.

MR's question is awesome in its simplicity and relevance to ANY podcast guest.

On the SBS music show "Rokwiz", Host Julia Zamiro always asks two questions of her guests on the show: What was the first concert you went to? and What was the first album you ever bought?
This has become part of the Rokwiz "brand".

Perhaps G&GR could take a leaf from that book and establish two simple questions that all Podcast Guests should be asked. My nominations for those two Brand G&GR questions are:

1. What is your favourite rugby moment?
2. Who is, or was, your favourite rugby player?

Alternative
1. What is your first rugby memory?

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I enjoyed listening to most of the podcast. One quibble with Gosper's spiel, is the assertion that because NZ had 130,000 visitors for the RWC, that translates into a huge economic benefit.

Maybe it does. Or maybe those 130,000 visitors simply replaced an equivalent number of tourists who would have come there anyway, or a fair number of them, anyway.

My guess is that there is a net benefit, but that it is nowhere near the gross benefit that proponents of events like this claim.

Read a great article on Crikey yesterday, I believe Major Events Mathematics is being employed here
http://www.crikey.com.au/2012/09/26...-how-to-guide-on-demolishing-rubbish-reports/

Crikey said:
6. Has Major Events Mathematics been employed? A special branch of applied mathematics, Major Event Maths is studied closely in consultancies working for governments, and sporting bodies, and deals with the remarkable properties of Major Event Numbers, which do not comply with ordinary laws of maths but instead have an additional dimension of multiplication and a capacity to erase negative symbols. Thus, for example, a grand prix that costs Victoria $50 million somehow is estimated to generate $30 million in benefits. Or FIFA announces that 29 billion people have watched a soccer tournament on a planet with only 7 billion people.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
So tomorrow I've got 15 mins with the CEO of the IRB and Aussie rugby troubadour, Brett Gosper.

If you could ask him one question, what would it be? (the guy has only been in the job for 3 weeks)
Probably has 3 weeks left in the job now, given the holiday period.

Eight-plus years on, it's helmet and pads time :)

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/7038948/world-rugby-ceo-gosper-leaves-for-nfl-role/

Gosper, who oversaw record-breaking editions of the Rugby World Cup in 2015 and 2019, has been appointed by the NFL to drive the next stage of the league's growth in Europe.

The 61-year-old from Melbourne, a former Australia under-21 international who spent a decade playing club rugby in France before embarking on his successful career in administration, will step down as World Rugby's chief in January after nine transformative years.

During that time, he oversaw the introduction of rugby sevens into the Olympics and the delivery of the World Cup in Japan, the first to be staged in Asia.