• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Nightmare scenario - 3 red cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I keep waking up at night, imagining the worst that could happen to the Wobblies scrum against the Puma. Our scrum is, of course, going to be under huge pressure, and we can expect that pressure to continue, scrum after scrum after scrum. The Argies would be stupid not to use every single scrum as an opportunity to destroy our front row.

The worst case scenario would be that we lose three props consecutively for repeated scrum infringements. It might only take 30 minutes for that to happen - even less (imagine a seven man Wobbs scrum against the Argies, let alone a 6 man scrum), so in my nightmare scenario we could end up playing 50 minutes with 12 men.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Even for you, this is unusually pessimistic.

I'm guessing this scenario has never happened before and I'm going to speculate that it won't happen on Sunday morning.

If you were the Argentinian coach, what would your gameplan be?

They have a dominant and very effective scrum, and not a whole lot else. On their own put in, they are capable of winning penalties. Even more so, on our put in.

I am not predicting anything, however, the new scrum laws are tailor made for a team like the Pumas. Our front row will struggle, big time. If the Argies manage to ensure that there are a lot of scrums, anything could happen.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
If the Pumas are devouring the Wallabies front row Horwill should badger the referee saying the scrums are unsafe and someone could be seriously hurt and ,there you go, unopposed scrums.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If you were the Argentinian coach, what would your gameplan be?

They have a dominant and very effective scrum, and not a whole lot else. On their own put in, they are capable of winning penalties. Even more so, on our put in.

I am not predicting anything, however, the new scrum laws are tailor made for a team like the Pumas. Our front row will struggle, big time. If the Argies manage to ensure that there are a lot of scrums, anything could happen.

I agree that dominating the scrum should be their game plan.

In fact, I said something similar prior to the Perth test that it could perhaps be a better option for the Pumas to just keep packing new scrums when they win a penalty (even if the penalty is in their own half).

I just can't see anything like the scenario you've envisioned happening. If Australia gets more than one yellow card from the scrum I'll be surprised.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Jeez you guys are pessimists. It is an absolutely absurd scenario.

We have been pummeled at scrum time before, and still won games. But more than that, often when everyone predicts a pummeling, we come out and perform pretty well.

We had our moments against the Boks last week, and if we harness that energy I see no reason why we can't be competitive at the set piece.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
If the Pumas are devouring the Wallabies front row Horwill should badger the referee saying the scrums are unsafe and someone could be seriously hurt and ,there you go, unopposed scrums.

thought it was a gag at first, but can they actually do that? Has it been done?

Status
Not open for further replies.