• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

No McCaw until July next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
(All Blacks captain Richie McCaw is to take six months off rugby.
He will lead the All Blacks on this year's end-of-year tour to Europe, but will then trigger a sabbatical option in his New Zealand Rugby Union contract.
The 31-year-old will sit out the three tests against France in June, and will not play for the Crusaders until July, in a bid to preserve his body through to the 2015 Rugby World Cup.)

Know this may upset some people, but I all for it if it extends his career.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
crocodile_tears_full_color_flyer-p244985148319527182b2pv5_400.jpg

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
He will lead the All Blacks on this year's end-of-year tour to Europe, but will then trigger a sabbatical option in his New Zealand Rugby Union contract.
The 31-year-old will sit out the three tests against France in June, and will not play for the Crusaders until July, in a bid to preserve his body through to the 2015 Rugby World Cup.)

Is he playing overseas? Sound to me more like he will be fishing and doing the type of stuff normal people do for 8 months. Can only be good for him.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
It can be hard to get back to peak form after a long layoff. I don't expect it will affect Richie much, he has come back from injury before and his game is based on attitude. It does seem like a pretty clever move TBH.

T

TOCC

"I'm not an alcoholic, i only drink when Richie McCaw's offside"

Its either going to be a dry-spell for some, or we are going to have to come up with another reason to drink....

W

Waylon

It's the beginning of the end

never give a competitor the taste of what it feels like in your jersey

Exhibit A - Michael Hooper for the wallabies has been so bloody good, Pocock is no longer an automatic selection in 7 for the wallabies

Richie is feeling the strain

It will also be interesting to see how they perform without him.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Its either going to be a dry-spell for some, or we are going to have to come up with another reason to drink..
I'm not an alcoholic, I only drink when Richie performs a barrel roll.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)

Its either going to be a dry-spell for some, or we are going to have to come up with another reason to drink..

I'm not an alcoholic, I only drink when the ref does something I don't like?

I'm not an alcoholic, I only drink when the Wallabies make a stupid kick?

R

randalf8

I'll say this now - if he's in the starting 15 come RWC15, they don't win.

Part of what makes them so dominant is that it's a true meritocracy. They don't do what we do and pick players for 4 years past their use-by date (Campese / Gregan / Larkham to name a few). I don't believe he'll be what he is now when he's 34 and I don't believe he's fair enough ahead of the competition to make up for the inevitable slide.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
I'll say this now - if he's in the starting 15 come RWC15, they don't win.

Part of what makes them so dominant is that it's a true meritocracy. They don't do what we do and pick players for 4 years past their use-by date (Campese / Gregan / Larkham to name a few). I don't believe he'll be what he is now when he's 34 and I don't believe he's fair enough ahead of the competition to make up for the inevitable slide.

No one is saving a spot for him in the team. He wants to see out his four year contract.

Bit more info here.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/7717973/Captain-Richie-McCaw-decides-to-take-a-break

All Blacks captain Richie McCaw is to take six months off rugby.
The 31-year-old will sit out the three tests against France in June, and will not play for the Crusaders until July, in a bid to preserve his body through to the 2015 Rugby World Cup.
A frequent target for opposition cheap shots, McCaw will be the second All Black to take a sabbatical, after Dan Carter's ill-fated $1 million 2008 stint with French club Perpignan, where he snapped his Achilles tendon. Carter can also take another six-month sabbatical before the cup.
“It is definitely going to happen,” Crusaders coach Todd Blackadder told the Sunday Star-Times last night. “Richie is going to take a sabbatical. He will probably be available after June. He won't be available for the tests or Super Rugby, so he's going to get a good break. We've worked this through with all parties and I fully support it.
“He had it written into his contract and he's elected to take it. He's going to see the season out with the All Blacks, then have a break. It will freshen him up and he'll come back and be good for the next couple of years.”
Unlike Carter's venture to France, McCaw's six months off is purely to give his body a chance to recover, to ensure he has the chance to see out his four-year contract.
New Zealand's top players are being asked to play up to 33 games this year, taking a huge toll. “He's probably going to head overseas and have a bit of a holiday, have a break and get away from the game,” Blackadder said.
The sabbaticals being offered to selected All Blacks are the union's way of keeping top players in the country, because it cannot match what players can make overseas.
All Blacks coach Steve Hansen also gave his blessing to McCaw. “Richie is smart enough to know what his body needs,” he said as the All Blacks left for Argentina yesterday.
“He's got a sabbatical in his contract, so it's up to him use it. If we want to get him through to the world cup, it's a good idea. The Super 15 is a tough competition. For someone like Richie to step out of that, he obviously thinks it's pertinent, hence why it's in his contract.”

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
It's the beginning of the end

never give a competitor the taste of what it feels like in your jersey

Exhibit A - Michael Hooper for the wallabies has been so bloody good, Pocock is no longer an automatic selection in 7 for the wallabies

Richie is feeling the strain

It will also be interesting to see how they perform without him.

And three drunk camels with purple spots just walked past my window smoking spliffs and hurling insults in Swahili.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'm sorry, I know he's a workhorse and puts his body through some real tought shit, but he's a professional fucking athlete, harden up and play.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm sorry, I know he's a workhorse and puts his body through some real tought shit, but he's a professional fucking athlete, harden up and play.

It's because he is professional athlete he knows when it is time to have a break. FFS he is in the twilight of his career and damn near crippled himself in the RWC, playing on a broken foot.

What would you have him do. Play non stop till he is a broken down wreck or try and extend his career a few more seasons?

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It's because he is professional athlete he knows when it is time to have a break. FFS he is in the twilight of his career and damn near crippled himself in the RWC, playing on a broken foot.

What would you have him do. Play non stop till he is a broken down wreck or try and extend his career a few more seasons?
Would probably be in the Wobs' best interests

Status
Not open for further replies.