• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Hemisphere Rugby

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
DA2A2CFF-DFBC-4944-A1A5-B9DB0942B295.jpeg

THANKS OWEN

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Did anyone else watch the Tiegr/Ospreys game this morning. Good tight game with some good rugby, think clock was showing about 10 minutes extra before Ospreys scored winning try and conversion.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Did anyone else watch the Tiegr/Ospreys game this morning. Good tight game with some good rugby, think clock was showing about 10 minutes extra before Ospreys scored winning try and conversion.

Wasnt on in aus, Bein sports were showing the 7's instead

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Was watching back and fourth between the 3 games on at the same time. Couldn't believe Glasgow missed that kick.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I think the unfortunate reality is with, this..

and this..

The RFU and Rugby like any contact sport is in a precarious position. I haven't looked at the data close enough to pick it apart to get a feel for what the results really might have shown, or have any detail on how valid or peer reviewed the data and process is, but the reality is they need to do something. I always think it's hard to isolate how much of the change was due to the rule changes vs. just a intense focus and increased reporting on this aspect of the game.

I believe in the French trial it was only one tackling player allowed, so using those results as the basis for the change in England seems a little concerning when they are allowing multiple player tackles which opens up other potential collision and head contact scenarios.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just been thinking about the angst about new tackle heights, although I believe waist is too low, I understand the arguments etc.
Anyway I watching a game (Bath/Sale) as I writing this and from what I seeing, almost allsffective tackles are waist or below, and most tackles are sternum or below anyway.
I coached kids (admittedly a long time ago) to tackle around legs anyway. Never ever practised tackling high, always started all defensive traing at fast walk and built up speed , concentrating on head position to side, and keeping eyes open so you could see where you were putting head (did same with rucking etc). Now I going back 35-40 years and do say I never used tackle bags (no access to any) and was always surprised a bit later when I watched kids(and even seniors) training how coaches worked with tackle bags , seemingly always at full pace and so little thought on how to actually tackle, just hit a stationary tackle bag with shoulder etc and wrap arms around. The other thing with tackling low, I think it's harde to fend off a player coming in at wasit or below than it is one coming in high.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Any thought that this is the reaction they were after? I certainly do. This will then allow them to create a situation to absolve future legal issues. Eg Having consolation with rugby playing groups and coming up with some sort of waiver.

In Australia, people cite what has occured in the NFL but in reality that situation was due to the fact that they had the data and knew the harm and specifically dismissed it. Rugby isn't in that same situation as it is making changes. NRL on the other hand are going to be in all kinds of trouble.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Any thought that this is the reaction they were after? I certainly do. This will then allow them to create a situation to absolve future legal issues. Eg Having consolation with rugby playing groups and coming up with some sort of waiver.

In Australia, people cite what has occured in the NFL but in reality that situation was due to the fact that they had the data and knew the harm and specifically dismissed it. Rugby isn't in that same situation as it is making changes. NRL on the other hand are going to be in all kinds of trouble.
Yep can see some of this been a larger game been played.

The reaction should work in favor of the unions in court proceedings. Courts obviously have to rule to law but will err towards societal wants/needs in its interpretation. The reaction has clearly shown there isn’t a large desire to change outside some louder voices on social media or the media. The only leg the court cases might have to lean on is as mentioned the nfl scenario where they had existing information and weren’t providing it to its constituents on the risks.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Oh yeah. It will be chaos. The trial they did a few years back showed it. Attacking players naturally start lifting their knees as well to break tackles
Actually GoR both France and NZ(in some grades) have trialled lowering tackle heights with positive outcome both from players and injury front.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Just to keep things even handed, I just watched Jack Maddocks have a truly awful game for Pau, like Reece Hodge's worst game at the Rebels type stuff.

Jack is clearly so talented but has incredible brain fades.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
So 6 Nations kicks off this weekend with Wales v Ireland in Cardiff, tough game for the Irish to start as Cardiff proves a hard place for anyone to win during the 6N. This match nearly decides if Ireland win the tournament on not, get a win and they are in the drivers seat having both England and France at home. Lose and they will be looking for France and England to drop a 2nd game somewhere.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
So 6 Nations kicks off this weekend with Wales v Ireland in Cardiff, tough game for the Irish to start as Cardiff proves a hard place for anyone to win during the 6N. This match nearly decides if Ireland win the tournament on not, get a win and they are in the drivers seat having both England and France at home. Lose and they will be looking for France and England to drop a 2nd game somewhere.
Gatland is keeping with the throwback theme with his team list:
Wales: 15. Leigh Halfpenny, 14. Josh Adams, 13. George North, 12. Joe Hawkins, 11. Rio Dyer, 10. Dan Biggar, 9. Tomos Williams; 1. Gareth Thomas, 2. Ken Owens (capt), 3. Tomas Francis, 4. Adam Beard, 5. Alun Wyn Jones, 6. Jac Morgan, 7. Justin Tipuric, 8. Taulupe Faletau.

Replacements: 16. Scott Baldwin, 17. Rhys Carre, 18. Dillon Lewis, 19. Dafydd Jenkins, 20. Tommy Reffell, 21. Rhys Webb, 22. Owen Williams, 23. Alex Cuthbert.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Not surprised, on paper you would be backing what ever team Ireland names on form, but Gatland cold be able to get these guys to gel quickly and cause some upsets.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
He’ll implement some structures that might improve them but I don’t think the Welsh squad has the same talent it once did. I’ll pick Ireland in this 26/13