• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Hemisphere Rugby

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I would have Scotland as firm favourites against England if this was a home match for them. But it's at Twickers, so I have Scotland winning this 55/45. Throw in a discarded Rebel Sione Tuipulotu try to seal it too. Though I'm excited to see Ben Earl finally get some game time, I think he's a future player of the year.

Ireland to win handily. Wales to play as badly as the WRU is performing off the field. I think Ireland will go on to win the 6N due to their home games being England & France.

France to win by under 10 against Italy.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I do want to see if the Italians will back up a positive 2022. Benetton are sitting 7th/16 in the URC which is ok. (Zebre) are winless.

Ireland 26/13 Wales
England 24/17 Scotland
France 31/15 Italy

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Toonie drops an interesting squad, the tombola is in full swing!

japjic0b2sfa1.jpg

Key Highlights:

3/5 Underdone players in the 23: Hogg & Van Der Merwe start, Jonny G on the bench. Zander and Watson miss out.

No Healey and no McConnochie

Huwipulotu over either (or Cammie Redpath) with Chris Harris.

Glasgow Captain Kyle Steyn over Sean Maitland ( who has been strongly rumoured to have said something along the lines of "I'm still available, but not for holding tackle bags")

Both Glasgow Hookers selected over Edinburgh's Dave Cherry and Sale's Ewan Ashman, who were probably 1 & 2 respectively heading into this season.

and the piece de resistance: Ali Price out of the 23 altogether for the first time in recent memory.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Toonie drops an interesting squad, the tombola is in full swing!

japjic0b2sfa1.jpg

Key Highlights:

3/5 Underdone players in the 23: Hogg & Van Der Merwe start, Jonny G on the bench. Zander and Watson miss out.

No Healey and no McConnochie

Huwipulotu over either (or Cammie Redpath) with Chris Harris.

Glasgow Captain Kyle Steyn over Sean Maitland ( who has been strongly rumoured to have said something along the lines of "I'm still available, but not for holding tackle bags")

Both Glasgow Hookers selected over Edinburgh's Dave Cherry and Sale's Ewan Ashman, who were probably 1 & 2 respectively heading into this season.

and the piece de resistance: Ali Price out of the 23 altogether for the first time in recent memory.
Huwipuloto lol. As a Scotland & Rebels fan, you must be rapt with Sione’s rise!

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Huwipuloto lol. As a Scotland & Rebels fan, you must be rapt with Sione’s rise!
His skill set, confidence and leadership ability all continue to grow and I'm very happy he's on board with us.

Exposure to different coaching and actual minutes on field at a good level does wonders for players.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Not one surprise in that line up, should really be winning this comfortably. I am going to be crazy here and predict Ireland by 31, biggest win against Wales away from home.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Stop Reading if anyone was planning to get up and watch replays.

Well Done Scotland I didn’t think they’d get it done but they did it at Twiks.

Ireland did what most thought they would. I didn’t think it would be that convincing being in Cardiff but Wales are a mess. I don’t know if the talent isn’t there to replace some of these guys but cmon. They didn’t win the 2015 WC with them so why would they now.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I haven't seen the Ireland game, but I've seen some stuff on the socials that Sexton had a possible concussion but wasn't taken off?

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I haven't seen the Ireland game, but I've seen some stuff on the socials that Sexton had a possible concussion but wasn't taken off?

I saw that. I thought he'd had a potential concussion as well, as the ref blew it up pretty quick. In the end it looked like he'd hurt his leg, although it's possible he feigned a leg injury to avoid being taken off for a HIA, who knows.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Wales are a complete mess and Ireland were rarely troubled. The Irish seemed to just cruise through the game.

Liam Williams had a few good attacking runs, but he was poorly supported and was often isolated. Caelan Doris was immense for the Irish and was instrumental in snuffing out a few Welsh attacking runs.

Andrew Porter is a grub.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Need to rewatch (especially the first half) but for me, nothing new about that result in both a positive and negative sense for Scotland. Strong reliance on 2-5 players to have big games and be clinical, then hope the defence holds on. Thriving off of turnover ball, set piece and broken play, but unable create that same quick ball off of dominant collision or winning aerial duels.

Not my favourite lock duo (I'm a big fan of the dynamism Scott Cummings & Jonny Gray provide), but Richie Gray and Gilchrist will cause a lot of teams problems at lineout time. We need Sutherland and Fagerson fit, they're still my starting props. Huipulotu was fine, but I think structurally we missed Harris a lot and it's too late in the cycle to work around him not being there IMO. Steyn was fine but didn't nail himself down as the 3rd Winger: lots of capacity for Maitland, Ollie Smith or even McConnochie to come in and cement themselves: injuries have meant it's left too late for Hoyland/Rowe to do the same. Don't want to throw Price out yet: but White is playing very well and wee Horne is an ideal impact Bench player.

Need to keep that energy up and momentum going into next week: with France away and our poor record against Ireland under Townsend (0-7) we need go into the 3rd round 2-0 to be in a position to finish in the top half of the table. Will expect some rotation: Maitland's made it clear he's not in the squad to hold tackle bags: both props and Hamish Watson will need to managed back into the team and Ben Healy will certainly make his debut at some point, although that last one may have to wait for Italy at home.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Thoroughly enjoyed that England vs. Scotland game even if as you highlighted @Highlander35 it does seem to come off a degree of helta-skelta vs. any persistent and applied presure on Scotland's part. A real contrast to Ireland in their game against Wales. England looked to be having some real issues with their defensive structures, they'll want to patch those up quickly.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
England v Scotland was a good game which I needed after the NOrthern hemi tour that seems a lifetime ago.
To see a 22 year old lock Chessum outplay Itoje was a surprise, he has a great future in front of him. Dombrandt dropping 2 passes and a kick off was poor as in the 2 passes he was looking at the opposition and not the ball, a weakness we also suffer from at times. Sotland's Van de Nerve's try was one of the best and the England wing Malins was excellent, I thought he looked slow early on but he was not. The Scots took their chances and England kicked too much. Either side could have won that game.
Pleased that the poms got done and that the game was worth a watch.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I must admit to only seeing the first half of Wales/Ireland game so far, as I could see result and wanted to watch England/Scotland game before going to gold. Honestly enjoyed both games, well worth the watch I think.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Scotland are great fun to watch, always a pleasure to see England lose at home. Amazing considering the players they have available.

the difference between the Scottish u20s and their top team is huge. Their u20s are truly abysmal. Interesting dynamic.

also sorry Wales but you suck.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Scotland are great fun to watch, always a pleasure to see England lose at home. Amazing considering the players they have available.

the difference between the Scottish u20s and their top team is huge. Their u20s are truly abysmal. Interesting dynamic.

also sorry Wales but you suck.
Thats because they just steal other countries players rather than develop their own