• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Hemisphere Rugby

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Scotland are great fun to watch, always a pleasure to see England lose at home. Amazing considering the players they have available.

the difference between the Scottish u20s and their top team is huge. Their u20s are truly abysmal. Interesting dynamic.

also sorry Wales but you suck.
Explains why they are so proactive on the residency and heritage pathways.

There U20s have been arguably the worst in the 6 nations for the last 4/5 years. Georgia would be better than them as well.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Explains why they are so proactive on the residency and heritage pathways.

There U20s have been arguably the worst in the 6 nations for the last 4/5 years. Georgia would be better than them as well.
I thought they actually played ok, so there may be a new wave of players coming through (the Scottish U20's);

41-36 loss to England.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I thought they actually played ok, so there may be a new wave of players coming through (the Scottish U20's);

41-36 loss to England.
Hopefully it’s turning around for them. Been a rough past 3 years.
9D83DAF8-AE92-4EEF-BE7B-AF6BD7B7F0DA.jpeg
86F75823-6013-40EE-89F2-0557389B7151.jpeg

Attachments

• DACD0298-498F-423E-A4EB-45414293B169.jpeg
    DACD0298-498F-423E-A4EB-45414293B169.jpeg
    555.1 KB · Views: 43

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wales have some big calls to make, can they persist with the old heads in the RWC or do they have to go with youth now (including the coach).

- AWJ
- Faletau
- Ken Owens
- Scott Baldwin
- Tomas Francis
- Rhys Webb
- Dan Biggar
- George North
- Liam Williams
- Halfpenny
- Alex Cuthbert

All look past it. Tipuric is still quality.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Wales have some big calls to make, can they persist with the old heads in the RWC or do they have to go with youth now (including the coach).

- AWJ
- Faletau
- Ken Owens
- Scott Baldwin
- Tomas Francis
- Rhys Webb
- Dan Biggar
- George North
- Liam Williams
- Halfpenny
- Alex Cuthbert

I've made a stack of cash betting against Wales, they have coasted on big name recognition for a long time but anyone who has watched the majority of their games would know they've been consistently garbage.

Lack speed in the backline and don't get much go forward from the tight five. The days of Gatland ball working are long gone, you can't win a Grand Slam scoring ten tries anymore (jesus, what a grim comp that was...)

A flurry of favourable red cards in 2021 papered over the cracks.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)

- AWJ
- Faletau
- Ken Owens
- Scott Baldwin
- Tomas Francis
- Rhys Webb
- Dan Biggar
- George North
- Liam Williams
- Halfpenny
- Alex Cuthbert

Halfpenny didn't play and Williams looked ok in spurts, but I do agree with your overall point. North in particular looked well off the pace I reckon.

Hard to see them getting rid of Gatland when he's just been reappointed as coach. It was a daft decision to begin with though.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Creating depth has always been a problem. Without injury, we could still easily put out a international standard side composed of just home developed players, as we normally get 2 or 3 U20s each season who succeed DESPITE the coaching. The following side for example is not as good as the one that played yesterday but contains 13 of the 23 who did play, and two of the others (Z Fagerson & Graham) would be automatic ins if fit.

Rory Sutherland
George Turner
Zander Fagerson
Richie Gray
Grant Gilchrist
Jamie Ritchie
Luke Crosbie
Matt Fagerson
George Horne
Finn Russell
Blair Kinghorn
Matt Scott
Mark Bennett
Darcy Graham
Stuart Hogg

George Turner
Jamie Bhatti
Murphy Walker
Jonny Gray
Rory Darge
Jamie Dobie
Ross Thomson
Ollie Smith

Fun fact: before Gibson-Park's late withdrawal Ireland and Scotland had both named the exact same number of residency qualified players in their 23s this week ;)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
England v Scotland was a good game which I needed after the NOrthern hemi tour that seems a lifetime ago.
To see a 22 year old lock Chessum outplay Itoje was a surprise, he has a great future in front of him. Dombrandt dropping 2 passes and a kick off was poor as in the 2 passes he was looking at the opposition and not the ball, a weakness we also suffer from at times. Sotland's Van de Nerve's try was one of the best and the England wing Malins was excellent, I thought he looked slow early on but he was not. The Scots took their chances and England kicked too much. Either side could have won that game.
Pleased that the poms got done and that the game was worth a watch.

For the last 30 Itoje was utterly spent and hopeless. Simmons-light. No 'pick and flop' because there was no pick. Plenty of flop at the defensive rucks though. Any excuse to lie down really. To be fair the first 40mins the pace set by England was impressive and likely to test anyone's fitness.

Agree on Van de Merve. What is impressive is that the English backline was able to use the wings quite effectively.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Scotland are great fun to watch, always a pleasure to see England lose at home. Amazing considering the players they have available.

the difference between the Scottish u20s and their top team is huge. Their u20s are truly abysmal. Interesting dynamic.

Not many Saffas play for their u20s team lol

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
For the last 30 Itoje was utterly spent and hopeless. Simmons-light. No 'pick and flop' because there was no pick. Plenty of flop at the defensive rucks though. Any excuse to lie down really. To be fair the first 40mins the pace set by England was impressive and likely to test anyone's fitness.

Agree on Van de Merve. What is impressive is that the English backline was able to use the wings quite effectively.
I thought both their wings were good but not in V D Merver's class.

Reactions: dru