• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Hemisphere Rugby

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Leinster are 70% Ireland and fallen short of the URC title 2 years in a row now. If they lose to La Rochelle this week they won't have a Euro title in 2 years either. Pretty poor imo for how dominant they are in non-playoff games.
That was a Leinster third string team, they will win next weekend.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I didn't realise they were that understrength. Surprised they care so little about the URC.
European title means a lot more, it's the problem with fixtures. Semi for URC this week, final for Heineken Cup next week, then the URC final the following.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That was a Leinster third string team, they will win next weekend.
It wasn't really. Sure they were missing a few but those type of Leinster teams have easily done the business in the past. Munster were missing almost as many first choice players.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
London Irish have been given a deadline of 30 May for "... either a takeover of the Exiles to be completed and approved, with the buyers providing evidence they can meet the club’s obligations for at least next season, or for the club to show it will continue to be funded to operate throughout next season."

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
London Irish have been given a deadline of 30 May for "... either a takeover of the Exiles to be completed and approved, with the buyers providing evidence they can meet the club’s obligations for at least next season, or for the club to show it will continue to be funded to operate throughout next season."

you'd almost consider them done then, unless the iru sniffs a bargain that would be cool

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
CDFA283E-AE2D-46C9-A84E-FD55983311DB.jpeg

Anyone wanna say they played for Wasps?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
If the Stormers win the URC I can see them getting the shits and moving on from RSA and it becoming a UK/Ireland comp. Try and push the Italians into the French leagues.

The Welsh Clubs aren't doing well either.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
If the Stormers win the URC I can see them getting the shits and moving on from RSA and it becoming a UK/Ireland comp. Try and push the Italians into the French leagues.

SA are here to stay in the URC. Their addition has made it so much more interesting. And not just an inevitable procession of lopsided victories till Leinster is crowned.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeah, I think the URC are pretty happy with South African involvement, they're not going to be bothered by the stormers winning it.

The most likely thing to destabilize it would be one or more of the Welsh sides being lured over to the English premiership off the back of their own financial problems. Whether or not that would destroy the URC though I'm not sure, it could be an opportunity to get some other European or African clubs involved.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Probably Blues and Scarlet by process of elimination. Dragons have spent 6 years under direct WRU governance, while Ospreys are always tossed up as the defunct-able and/or merge-able option from the 4. But the Cymry would be able to tell you better.

My outside observer opinion is that 20 years later the 9 Clubs who participated in the Celtic league before regionalisation still wish they had been integrated into the English pyramid instead (at the Top level of course), somewhat influenced by the beginning of the declining welsh performances occurring during that period where Cardiff and Swansea were in the English Prem.

Kudu

Frank Row (1)

I doubt it. The Irish are broadly happy to have some competition. The bigger prize is the Heineken anyway. No SA team made it past the QF. The French in particular are not happy about SA's involvement in that competition.

By the way, the URC final in Cape Town sold out in 2 hours 26 minutes.

Last edited:

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Those poor blokes looked so shattered, amazing given they were 17 -0. Apparently Sexton got into a fight at half time too ah
Still can't work out how a guy who's not playing starts a fight.

Have not watched a full replay yet but sounds like was a good game. Too many cards though.

Two best teams in Europe decided by 1 point, remember these teams both played each other in the final last year.