• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Hemisphere Rugby

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
The game as a whole other than France and Ireland isn’t in a good condition.

The international component is competitive and still doing well, but domestically it’s a shambles in almost every country. The URC just had healthy finals crowds but regular season outside of Ireland is shocking. Contrary to what many think the game isn’t doing as well as many think in Japan, it’s just cashed up corporate teams buying players. The World Series 7 is the worst condition it’s been in a long time. New comps like MLR haven’t done anything to expand the game in their own markets and aren’t on the strongest footing several years in.

The marketing and the messaging around the game in my mind is the massive issue. There is a lot of negativity surrounding the game especially by conversations facilitated by World Rugby and the Unions. They have lost control of rhetoric that other contact sports are managing to avoid.

I still don’t believe France is in as great a spot as many like to think, there is a lot of money spent with the TV deal and stadium sizes not what I’d expect them to be for the money spent. The tv deal is considerably less than the NRL and crowds similar size, yet they are spending more, it just doesn’t add up. 30% of their tv deal goes to ProD2 as well. It’s essentially a rich man’s play thing. Might be an interesting 5yrs ahead and potentially a re-set required and a burning of some traditional thought processes that are going to have to be forgone.

I actually think Australia are in a better position than a few years ago (not in a good position either), but we are generally at the forefront of the pressures that other countries experience later because we have greater pressures that exasperate them earlier. Conservatism is dead in sport, it’s why rugby is struggling with the messaging and embracing what works in other sports. It’s why Hamish pisses off so many, but he’s getting results.

Last edited:

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Great post, agree with most of it especially the point about losing control of the narrative.

To my eyes rugby looks like a massive turnaround job and I wouldn't be surprised if a private equity operation swoops in to buy distressed assets on the cheap (arguably already happening) or some sort of Super League breakaway.

There are so many glaring inefficiencies that don't pass the common sense test. Australian teams do nothing for 8 months of the year. English teams aren't playing Welsh ones. Prem rugby kicking off 4 games a week simultaneously. The state of the global calendar.

The South African Problem will never be solved but playing in the same timezone was arguably the start of this rationalistion process.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
The Walsh are in worse shape then the English, the RFU needs to take control back from the clubs. The ringed fence against promotion relegation is the real cause. These sides needed to be relegated to lower overheads and rebuild for a couple of seasons. Instead they stayed in the Prem overspending while not attracting crowds because they were not competitive.

All while sides like Earling are held out because there stadium is to small, rather a full small stadium then a empty big one.

& because they released Tizzano with 3 games to go in the season & couldnt get it done on the last day after nearly having a perfect season :p:p:p:p:p

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Irelands training squad leading into RWC selection
1685488393703.png

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
It's mad how strong a potential Ireland second string team is right now;

1. Healy
2. Herring
3. Bealham
4. Henderson
5. Baird
6. Conan
7. Prendergast
8. Coombes
9. Murray
10. Crowley
11. Stockdale
12. McCloskey
13. Aki
14. Nash
15. O'Brien
You would expect that team is able to beat Tonga and Romania comfortably. Which means you can rest the first team for the SA and Scotland games. Although the fixture is quite weird, 14 days between games 3 and 4 which is SA and Scotland.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
You would expect that team is able to beat Tonga and Romania comfortably. Which means you can rest the first team for the SA and Scotland games. Although the fixture is quite weird, 14 days between games 3 and 4 which is SA and Scotland.

Fixtures are indeed slightly strange, we have South Africa, 14 days, Tonga, 7 days, Romania, 6 days, Ireland, but still a much better option than 3 or 4 day breaks.

I don't expect us to take Romania likely, our hubris has come close to hurting us before, but the fixture definitely gives us the leeway to ensure that the best XV starts both big games and the banana peel.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Watching the racing v stade game Cremer 4 min just had the biggest brain explosion I have ever seen in a final. Rammed his shoulder into Finn Russel's head in the worst clean out I have seen in years & followed it up with a round arm across another blokes face in the follow through. Insane stuff!

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Watching the racing v stade game Cremer 4 min just had the biggest brain explosion I have ever seen in a final. Rammed his shoulder into Finn Russel's head in the worst clean out I have seen in years & followed it up with a round arm across another blokes face in the follow through. Insane stuff!
Love the description and yeah it was horrendous. Throwing your team's season away like that is crazy

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well potentially sad day with London Irish possibly gone after today. I get no joy seeing these clubs fold, regardless of reasons.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Well potentially sad day with London Irish possibly gone after today. I get no joy seeing these clubs fold, regardless of reasons.
They are the side I support in England so yes, I'm a bit sad.

BUT what do you expect when you sign players like Adam Coleman to be the highest paid player in the world, he's been broken half his time there and been suspended the other half.

I take great delight in watching these English clubs, with eyes bigger than their wallets, poaching all our players then folding. Crossing my fingers for the Japanese next.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah, I don't want any Clubs to fold and that includes Japan.

I hope this makes players either come home or realise it's not all pots of gold over there and persist a little bit longer here. This includes coaches.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
For those depressed by our Super teams performances (or maybe our future performances this weekend) take heart that some overseas based Aussies are going deeper in finals.

Kane Douglas, Caleb Timu and Zack Holmes have all come off the bench for Bordeaux in their QF win over Lyon. Kane Douglas pretty useful and was in tears after their win, good on the big fella. They will now face the juggernaut of Skelton's La Rochelle, in Spain. San Sebastian is hosting both semi finals strangely.

Finn Russell's Racing 92 squeaked into the semis after playing against a 14 man Stade Francais for the entire game. They will now face Richie Arnold's Toulouse in the other semi. After some exciting quarter finals I think these semis will be a little more straight forward with La Rochelle and Toulouse to meet in the grand final.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Well there goes London Irish officially. 55 million dollars in debt and 125 years of history. Hopefully some form of them can go join the URC or something. Simmons off to France, Coleman presumably too or Japan. Hoskins would be greatly appreciated out west.

I also noticed that Rory Arnold's Red Dolphins have laid off 23 players and 21 staff. My limited google translate skills tell me Rory isn't one of them.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
In less than 10 years the PRL have lost 5 historically important sides from across the Premiership and Championship: Wasps, Worcester, Irish, Welsh and Leeds. The former four have all been formally expelled or suspended, and Leeds were relegated from National 1 this season: they'll be spending, at minimum 23-24 languishing in National 2 North, the English 4th Tier. That's over a quarter of the teams that "should" be playing in these two leagues.

In the Championship, Ealing is the only team year on year investing in players with the "intention" of being promoted. To my understanding, only Doncaster and Nottingham (maybe Bedford?) have the facilities to be promoted, but have (seemingly sensibly) chosen not to overinvest in player squads to compete with Ealing and a couple of "high achievers" after the horror of the Welsh promotion. That leaves 9 teams in the pyramid with comparatively limited ambitions (win the league sustainably or survive without being relegated) rather than a genuinely competitive structure a la the French systems.

It's scary to look at.