• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Hemisphere Rugby

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well bloody enjoyable Worceter Warriors/Bristol Bears game this morning. Some very good rugby, and I have to say I reckon the grounds in Britain have made a difference to rugby that is played. Where once we heard about 10 man stuff etc etc, with the grounds they play on now we see a real full set of skills on show . Today's game was on artificial turf, but most grounds have great drainage etc these days and makes a difference.
In first 9.5 minutes the ref blew his whistle twice, and that was for a try and conversion after 4 minutes. Think Wayne Barnes is still very good ref.
Also adds to enjoyment is good coverage with pretty good knowledgeable commentary, I think a few of ours down this way can take a lesson.
Anyway was good enjoyable game.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Great game between London Irish & Saracens, recommend watching. Phipps, Coleman & Rona all had impressive games.

Out of curiosity does anyone watch Japan rugby still? I can't squeeze it in.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Great game between London Irish & Saracens, recommend watching. Phipps, Coleman & Rona all had impressive games.

Out of curiosity does anyone watch Japan rugby still? I can't squeeze it in.
I gave up on Japan, just found it without any real battle. I get more than I can handle with Super and Gallagher Shield!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Six Nations is back this week, with England v Wales & Scotland v France (and Italy v Ireland).

England have finally started Harry Randall at 9, partnering with Marcus Smith at 10. Tuliagi was named at 12 after a long break with injury but was withdrawn 8 hours later due to a minor tear:

Team: Freddie Steward; Max Malins, Henry Slade, TBC *, Jack Nowell; Marcus Smith, Harry Randall; Ellis Genge, Luke Cowan-Dickie, Kyle Sinckler, Charlie Ewels, Maro Itoje, Courtney Lawes (captain), Tom Curry, Alex Dombrandt.
Replacements: Jamie George, Joe Marler, Will Stuart, Nick Isiekwe, Sam Simmonds, Ben Youngs, George Ford, Elliot Daly.

Wales have dropped their wunderkind in Louis Rees Zammit to the bench after some poor games and have ol' reliable Cuthebert on the wing. Taulupe Faletau slots straight into #8. Wales just beat Scotland after being pummelled by the Irish but I doubt they'll put up much fight against England.

Team: Liam Williams; Alex Cuthbert, Owen Watkin, Nick Tompkins, Josh Adams; Dan Biggar (captain), Tomos Williams; Wyn Jones, Ryan Elias, Tomas Francis, Will Rowlands, Adam Beard, Ross Moriarty, Taine Basham, Taulupe Faletau.
Replacements: Dewi Lake, Gareth Thomas, Leon Brown, Seb Davies, Jac Morgan, Kieran Hardy, Gareth Anscombe, Jonathan Davies.

Scotland has started very Aussie Sione Tuipuloto at 12 against France. I was going to say that he'd have a hard time in the office but I actually don't rate his opposite man, Jo Danty, that much. I think both have suspect defence, so should be interesting. Can't rule out Scotland and they could almost be favourites. Graham and DVM on the wings could get some change out of Moefana who's starting out of position on the wing opposite them. France don't play well away from home and are yet to complete a grand slam in Galthié's era. But I'll go France by 4.

Scotland
Stuart Hogg (captain); Darcy Graham, Chris Harris, Sione Tuipulotu, Duhan van der Merwe; Finn Russell, Ali Price; Pierre Schoeman, Stuart McInally, Zander Fagerson, Sam Skinner, Grant Gilchrist, Rory Darge, Hamish Watson, Magnus Bradbury.
Replacements: George Turner, Oli Kebble, WP Nel, Jamie Hodgson, Nick Haining, Ben White, Blair Kinghorn, Mark Bennett.

France
Melvyn Jaminet; Damian Penaud, Gael Fickou, Jonathan Danty, Yoram Moefana; Romain Ntamack, Antoine Dupont (captain); Cyril Baille, Julian Marchand, Uini Atonio, Cameron Woki, Paul Willemse, Francois Cros, Anthony Jelonch, Gregory Alldritt.
Replacements: Peato Mauvaka, Jean-Baptiste Gros, Demba Bamba, Romain Taofifenua, Thibaud Flament, Dylan Cretin, Maxime Lucu, Thomas Ramos.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Anybody watch Scotland v France? Great game and I think everyone should be very afraid of this French side in the next 12 months. They played some incredible footy last night, especially in the first 10-15 minutes and either side of the break, when they killed the game as a contest.

What impressed me most:
- The defence, obviously. Shaun Edwards has them up and suffocating the oppositions attack constantly.
- The work at the breakdown, which constantly puts pressure on the attack (once again). All of the forwards and backs like Fickou are straight over the ball and harassing the tackled player and if your support is even slightly late you're cooked
- The shifting of the ball with short lateral passes in contact. The forwards are expert at this and it puts constant pressure on the opposition defence and keeping the ball in motion. It's that old rugby adage of the ball beating the man every time. They scored a couple of tries based on that alone

Overall I'm loving the pace, brutality and skill they are displaying right now.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Couldn't agree more TBH, this French team look very very good to me. They are bloody big and skilled, and seem to play to strengths real well. Makes them a scarey good team.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The shifting of the ball with short lateral passes in contact. The forwards are expert at this and it puts constant pressure on the opposition defence and keeping the ball in motion. It's that old rugby adage of the ball beating the man every time. They scored a couple of tries based on that alone

Overall I'm loving the pace, brutality and skill they are displaying right now.
I'd add to that the images of very big boppers being the units in motion.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Indeed FF (Folau Fainga'a). There was a try they scored when Du Pont fielded a kick from around his 22 and he worked his way through the defence was eventually tackled. That was great play by itself, but what followed gave me a tingly feeling in unmentionable places. The support arrived and there was a big hula hitting a flat ball at PACE, to continue the momentum and eventually one of the big boys scored. Absolute champagne footy.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Indeed FF (Folau Fainga'a). There was a try they scored when Du Pont fielded a kick from around his 22 and he worked his way through the defence was eventually tackled. That was great play by itself, but what followed gave me a tingly feeling in unmentionable places. The support arrived and there was a big hula hitting a flat ball at PACE, to continue the momentum and eventually one of the big boys scored. Absolute champagne footy.
France have become my safe space away from Australian Rugby (and especially the Rebels). Incredible team to watch, often I think they're just the Dupont show (which to be fair would be good enough for most teams) but they're such a complete side. Aldritt's contribution is invaluable and I always underestimate Penaud, his abilities on the weekend were freakish. Absolutely blessed with world class hookers, they don't even have room for Guillaume Chat, who is my favourite, with Marchand and Mauvaka dominating.

Surely they're #1 ranked team, spanked New Zealand, beat Ireland and smashed Scotland. Match up against England soon will be telling. I was talking to a friend who's got tickets to the RWC23 GF who if things go well should be France v someone in Paris, would be immense.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
My thoughts exactly DC. France have always been my second team and I've enjoyed watching their bonkers brand of footy in my lifetime. They're different now though. There's a steel and pragmatism about how they play. They make good decisions and don't shirk the tough stuff.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
France have become my safe space away from Australian Rugby (and especially the Rebels). Incredible team to watch, often I think they're just the Dupont show (which to be fair would be good enough for most teams) but they're such a complete side. Aldritt's contribution is invaluable and I always underestimate Penaud, his abilities on the weekend were freakish. Absolutely blessed with world class hookers, they don't even have room for Guillaume Chat, who is my favourite, with Marchand and Mauvaka dominating.

Surely they're #1 ranked team, spanked New Zealand, beat Ireland and smashed Scotland. Match up against England soon will be telling. I was talking to a friend who's got tickets to the RWC23 GF who if things go well should be France v someone in Paris, would be immense.
If Australia can't win the RWC (ok stop laughing) I would love to see the French win it. I agree they show incredible talent as been watching them in 6 nations.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Watching Wild Knights v Sungoliath and it's painful seeing Aussies absolutely dominating who should be back home. Like Kerevi, McMahon, Hocking, Koroibete. Bloody travesty.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Nick Phipps had another good game for London Irish who are firming as a top 6 side. He's been pretty instrumental to their success.

Check out this Quadesque try assist:

https://www.reddit.com/r/rugbyunion/comments/t7xcvn
We're well serviced between McDermott, White, Gordon & hopefully soon Fines-Leleiwasa but if we're ever hit by injuries he would be a more than serviceable fill-in.
The rise of London Irish has been interesting, particularly given the Australian connection on and off the field. Les Kiss could be a very good option for the Rebels if they decide a Foote isn't worth persisting with.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
The rise of London Irish has been interesting, particularly given the Australian connection on and off the field. Les Kiss could be a very good option for the Rebels if they decide a Foote isn't worth persisting with.
Les Kiss has been a good option for Super Rugby for several years. I really hope RA keep in touch with overseas coaching talent on a regular basis, undoubtedly he's a better coach now than when he was an assistant with Ireland, or an assistant in AU. We need to be capturing the overseas coaching talent just as much as the overseas playing talent.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Les Kiss has been a good option for Super Rugby for several years. I really hope RA keep in touch with overseas coaching talent on a regular basis, undoubtedly he's a better coach now than when he was an assistant with Ireland, or an assistant in AU. We need to be capturing the overseas coaching talent just as much as the overseas playing talent.
I agree, but it's specifically the Rebels I think he'd be a great fit for, and not just because of how likely it looks Foote won't be the guy there long term. You don't necessarily want a coach who has made all his success in traditional rugby areas or at clubs with a steady pipeline of talent. The problems they've been solving are entirely different to the ones they'll be faced with in Melbourne. A side like London Irish, made up from players from all over and sitting in a space where it's not going to be a first choice side for fans has a lot of parallels with the Rebels situation, so demonstrated success there sets him up better than it would at a bigger side, even if he falls a bit short. That said he still needs to keep this success going to prove he's actually done something there.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yeah, from the commentary of that game they said that London Irish has the best conversion rate of scoring from multiple phases out of anyone in the league. Good endorsement.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Bloody hell, what a morning.

France take their first grand slam in 12 years, firming up as favourites for the RWC next year.

But the real story happened over in Cardiff, where Italy snapped a Six Nations 32 match long losing streak to beat Wales at the death.

Watch the final three minutes of the game with italian commentating to start your Sunday off right.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Bloody hell, what a morning.

France take their first grand slam in 12 years, firming up as favourites for the RWC next year.

But the real story happened over in Cardiff, where Italy snapped a Six Nations 32 match long losing streak to beat Wales at the death.

Watch the final three minutes of the game with italian commentating to start your Sunday off right.

I love how they call the MotM mere moments before the player who should have won it rips Wales a new one and sets up the match winning try.

That step...
giphy.gif

Edit: apparently Adams gave his MotM medal to the kid after the game. Top class.

Last edited: