• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Hemisphere Rugby

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I love how they call the MotM mere moments before the player who should have won it rips Wales a new one and sets up the match winning try.

That step...
giphy.gif
I can never understand why they're so intent on announce MotM before a game is actually finished, if the result is still up in the air their are so many chances for someone to come through with a match winner or bad error and change the calculation.

Jeffrey

Chris McKivat (8)
The pace and power of France and to some extent Ireland is frightening, and I am not sure the ABs or the Wallabies are really able to compete physically with the might of the North at the moment. The likes of Moody and Codie Taylor, and even increasingly Whitelock, Laulala, Cane, will simply not make the French 15 because they are just not dynamic enough. They lack the explosive power and it showed because we got pummelled in the Autumn Series last year.

Both France and Ireland also have terrific defensive systems - both originating from League - that are extremely hard to break down at the moment. When you go nowhere on attack, you get sucked into a war of attrition, not what you want with the big boys they have.

France is disgustingly good at the moment. They are brutal and elegant, structured yet creative. Most importantly, this team has a champions' mindset. Many of them were part of the U20 World Cup wins, when they bashed their contemporaries. Dupont is irrepressible at the moment. He has the physicality of Faf - he smashes locks, wins rucks and breaks tackles, but also the pace, guile, and timing to snipe around the fringes. To beat a rush defence, your scrumhalf has to be a threat. When 9 is a danger, runners off 9 becomes a complicated problem for defences to solve. Runners off 10 is not going to work unless you are a Willemse or Antonio.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The pace and power of France and to some extent Ireland is frightening, and I am not sure the ABs or the Wallabies are really able to compete physically with the might of the North at the moment. The likes of Moody and Codie Taylor, and even increasingly Whitelock, Laulala, Cane, will simply not make the French 15 because they are just not dynamic enough. They lack the explosive power and it showed because we got pummelled in the Autumn Series last year.

Both France and Ireland also have terrific defensive systems - both originating from League - that are extremely hard to break down at the moment. When you go nowhere on attack, you get sucked into a war of attrition, not what you want with the big boys they have.

France is disgustingly good at the moment. They are brutal and elegant, structured yet creative. Most importantly, this team has a champions' mindset. Many of them were part of the U20 World Cup wins, when they bashed their contemporaries. Dupont is irrepressible at the moment. He has the physicality of Faf - he smashes locks, wins rucks and breaks tackles, but also the pace, guile, and timing to snipe around the fringes. To beat a rush defence, your scrumhalf has to be a threat. When 9 is a danger, runners off 9 becomes a complicated problem for defences to solve. Runners off 10 is not going to work unless you are a Willemse or Antonio.
They are the best side in the world at the moment for mine And for all the reasons you outline.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I do love the Six Nations. Serious articles going around calling for Eddie Jones to be sacked and replaced by Gatland. Sounds like Stuart Hogg will be replaced as Scottish captain, disunity amongst the Scottish ranks too, Townsend in trouble. Wales losing to Italy in Cardiff, Pivac apparently must go. Pandemonium I tell ye.

Last year Wales scored their record most points in the 6N, this year they scored their record least points lol. Think Pivac got away with a lot because of the red cards. I think really Wales are the only team in trouble at the moment out of the top 5.

I think England are still bloody amazing and probably would've won against Ireland if not for a 2nd minute red card. Turfing EJ (Eddie Jones) is ludicrous. It's just that France, Ireland, Scotland & England are all quite good at the same time which is rare. Scotland to me look pretty terrifying when on form, great opening 20 against Ireland on the weekend. They have my favourite pair of wingers in the world atm. I think any of those 4 teams could beat NZ or SA handily on a good day. World Cup is going to be great. Australia is a bit fucked if we don't get lucky.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I do love the Six Nations. Serious articles going around calling for Eddie Jones to be sacked and replaced by Gatland. Sounds like Stuart Hogg will be replaced as Scottish captain, disunity amongst the Scottish ranks too, Townsend in trouble. Wales losing to Italy in Cardiff, Pivac apparently must go. Pandemonium I tell ye.

Last year Wales scored their record most points in the 6N, this year they scored their record least points lol. Think Pivac got away with a lot because of the red cards. I think really Wales are the only team in trouble at the moment out of the top 5.

I think England are still bloody amazing and probably would've won against Ireland if not for a 2nd minute red card. Turfing EJ (Eddie Jones) is ludicrous. It's just that France, Ireland, Scotland & England are all quite good at the same time which is rare. Scotland to me look pretty terrifying when on form, great opening 20 against Ireland on the weekend. They have my favourite pair of wingers in the world atm. I think any of those 4 teams could beat NZ or SA handily on a good day. World Cup is going to be great. Australia is a bit fucked if we don't get lucky.
Fully agree, the games have been thrilling to watch, the atmosphere electric.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Love the 6 Nations, but the atmosphere at every single game puts SH rugby to shame. The way all the Anthems are sung is better then anything you see here.

Did not watch to much of Italy during the tournament, but have watched the Wales game and Ioane really is another Australia let get away. Would walk into a starting wing position with any of the 5 teams right now.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Love the 6 Nations, but the atmosphere at every single game puts SH rugby to shame. The way all the Anthems are sung is better then anything you see here.

Did not watch to much of Italy during the tournament, but have watched the Wales game and Ioane really is another Australia let get away. Would walk into a starting wing position with any of the 5 teams right now.
Yeah he would, don't think he'd make Wallabies though. I haven't been that impressed by him, tries hard but is pretty one dimensional.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)

Interesting to hear that take.

I agree that France are really good but not quite sure they're the finished article yet. Definitely getting there though and beating the All Blacks in November and winning a Six Nations grand slam is finally seeing them start to live up to their undoubted potential. It is frightening how much depth they have. They do remind you of the All Blacks closing in on 2011. The stage is set for them next year.

As an Irishman living in Australia I'm delighted to see us back and the adventurous style of rugby is a joy to watch. In reality we probably would have lost to England in previous years (in spite of the numerical advantage) but managed to outscore them four tries to none as our attack is the most potent it's been in years.

Irish rugby is in a good place and 2 under 20 six nations Grand Slams in the last four years (would likely have won 2020 but COVID halted tournament) augurs well for the future.

I say all of the above with a huge caveat. Southern Hemisphere teams are different beasts come World Cup time. They all seem to rotate and give experience to players in the intervening years and then as the World Cup comes over the horizon hone in on their best 23.

At the moment I'd have the All Blacks down as the weakest they've been in last 10-15 years but I've no doubt that they will improve significantly, find their best combinations and peak at the right time.

South Africa still have the sheer power and player numbers to turn up and brutalise their way to another world cup and the Wallabies are a couple of half backs away from being a very good team.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Fascinating to hear Sean Edwards, defense coach for France, talk about the hands off control of the coaches over the squad. He said that after the win against Italy, he went to bed expecting the boys to be in bed by 10pm too with only a 6 day turn around. The next morning he woke up at 5am and saw a handful of the boys still celebrating. His response was, oh well, play on, trust the boys.

Compare this to the blow up over Hogg & Price defying the coach's order and having a pint.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Fascinating to hear Sean Edwards, defense coach for France, talk about the hands off control of the coaches over the squad. He said that after the win against Italy, he went to bed expecting the boys to be in bed by 10pm too with only a 6 day turn around. The next morning he woke up at 5am and saw a handful of the boys still celebrating. His response was, oh well, play on, trust the boys.

Compare this to the blow up over Hogg & Price defying the coach's order and having a pint.
Would be fun to watch a full-blown classic French meltdown during the RWC akin to their Football team.

Bit weird they were celebrating a win over Italy.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

This sort of thing seldom ends well esp where the French are concerned.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ 18 months is a very, very long time in French sport :) but yes, if they can hold it together that long they've gotta be RWC favourites.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
^ 18 months is a very, very long time in French sport :) but yes, if they can hold it together that long they've gotta be RWC favourites.
Exactly, 2011 they lost two pool games (including against Tonga), sacked the coach and were a whisker away from winning the bloody thing.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anyone watched those second leg games of Heineken Cup last week? By geez there was some bloody good games. Everything from the Leinster/Connacht, Harlequins/Montepelier, Bristol/Sale etc, I loved the games. It almost a shame it's happening while Super is on as so much to try and see, even I struggling to watch it all, and I got heaps of time!
By geez the old days of saying they play 10 man rugby etc are well gone. Games seem to be generally played bloody physical, and a good pace.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Watching Heineken cup quarter finals tonight, my god they destroy our atmospheres. Edinburgh was unreal, Munster are playing in Dublin so 4 hours away and still have an amazing crowd.