• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Hemisphere Rugby

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
With Stan acquiring the UK Premiership (and already having the United Rugby Championship, FKA Pro 14), good time to discuss NH rugby and Aussie players over there.

Exeter look to be the team to beat again this year after slipping up in the GF to a rather fortunate Harlequins.

Toulouse with the Arnolds will be continuing their dominance in France I feel. Henry Speight & Tevita Kuridrani's Biarritz has been promoted to the Top 14 if anyone's looking for an underdog team to support there.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
With Stan acquiring the UK Premiership (and already having the United Rugby Championship, FKA Pro 14), good time to discuss NH rugby and Aussie players over there.

Exeter look to be the team to beat again this year after slipping up in the GF to a rather fortunate Harlequins.

Toulouse with the Arnolds will be continuing their dominance in France I feel. Henry Speight & Tevita Kuridrani's Biarritz has been promoted to the Top 14 if anyone's looking for an underdog team to support there.

Chiefs looked lost with out Sam Simmons leadership out there this weekend

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Good idea, if someone in the know can point out the match of the round available on Stan, or a match which features the most Australian players that would be appreciated.

I'd happily sit down and watch a replay of a game on Sunday morning, just don't know who to follow.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Good idea, if someone in the know can point out the match of the round available on Stan, or a match which features the most Australian players that would be appreciated.

I'd happily sit down and watch a replay of a game on Sunday morning, just don't know who to follow.
I'll try and help there. For some reason unfortunately there aren't many good UK teams with decent Aussies (unlike the French whose top 4 are stacked with Aussies).

UK Premiership has:
- London Irish with Adam Coleman, Rob Simmons, Nick Phipps, Ollie Hoskins & Curtis Rona. Unfortunately pretty bang on average team.
- Bristol Bears: Theo Strang & Luke Morahan (also Charles Piutau) probably most exciting team with Aussies in it
- Exeter are top but only have: Ryan Mcauley and Jack Walsh
- Gloucester have Jordy Reid and Ben Meehan
- Harlequins have Louis Lyangh
- Tigers have Bryce Hegarty
- Northampton have Naiyaravoro
- Sale Sharks have the entire Springboks
- Sarries can't afford Skelton anymore without cheating, so they have no Aussies

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
awesome cheers, I was going to watch London Irish on Sunday morning, but when checking the lineup I accidentally read the score. Interesting to see Coleman and Simmons as the starting lock pairing though.

Edit:
Just watched the Harlequins 'mini-match', fake turf is interesting, small stadium also.. Louis Lynagh got a couple fo tries, he really just finished them though, the good work was done in-field.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
awesome cheers, I was going to watch London Irish on Sunday morning, but when checking the lineup I accidentally read the score. Interesting to see Coleman and Simmons as the starting lock pairing though.

Edit:
Just watched the Harlequins 'mini-match', fake turf is interesting, small stadium also.. Louis Lynagh got a couple fo tries, he really just finished them though, the good work was done in-field.
I find that fake turf strange to Adam, think you would get a few 'grass burns' from it. And from what I have seen players don't seem to slide as far on it.

I watched Bristol Bears- Saracens on Saturday morning (good time here in NZ watch it over breakfast) and really enjoyed game. Sarries look like they a pretty reasonable team again after their sojourn in lower div!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Well Louis Lynagh has been called into the England squad, making any chances he goes Gold very slim.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Looks like a bit of bad news if your a fan of the pro14 (now URC). Got an e mail back from Stan saying they are not going to show it! I looked up urctv $11.99 per game $24.99 per weekend pass & $139.99 for the season.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Also we should take note of England’s depth. Eddie has left out George Ford and both Vunipolas from his squad. It’s a different conundrum over there, they really do underperform.

Australia would love to have a fly half the quality of Ford.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Also we should take note of England’s depth. Eddie has left out George Ford and both Vunipolas from his squad. It’s a different conundrum over there, they really do underperform.

Australia would love to have a fly half the quality of Ford.
Ford definitely. Vunipolas not so much.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Round 2 starts overnight for UK Premiership with Ben Meehan’s Gloucester playing Guy Porter’s Leicester.

Tomorrow night has no Aussies in Wasps v Bears, but two pretty stacked sides with internationals like Fekitoa and Charles Piutau & Steve Luatua.

Ryan McCauley comes off the bench for table toppers Exeter against Northampton Saints who have Matt Proctor and Frank Lomani.

Louis Lyangh’s Harlequins face Newcastle Warriors.

Finally London Irish have all the good Aussies in Rob Simmons, Adam Coleman and Curtis Rona all starting against title contenders Sale Sharks who have Manu Tulagi, Marland Yarde and Ben Curry. This is Sunday night for us.

Not the most Aussie weekend I’ve seen, but I’d watch Irish v Sharks, Saints v Exeter & Wasps v Bears.

I don’t think Stan has whatever they’re calling the Pro 14 anymore which is a shame because Munster taking on the Sharks are stacked. Also didn’t realise Michael Ala'alatoa defected to Leinster.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
Thanks for the updates Dctarget. Watched Gloucester vs Leicester highlights this morning. Good involvment by Harry Potter. Will try stay awake for the Newcastle vs Bath game tonight!

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Coleman really interests me. Has been injured last couple of years, but if he can get a good head of steam up is definitely somebody I'd like to see in the Wallaby mix

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Round 2 starts overnight for UK Premiership with Ben Meehan’s Gloucester playing Guy Porter’s Leicester.

Tomorrow night has no Aussies in Wasps v Bears, but two pretty stacked sides with internationals like Fekitoa and Charles Piutau & Steve Luatua.

Ryan McCauley comes off the bench for table toppers Exeter against Northampton Saints who have Matt Proctor and Frank Lomani.

Louis Lyangh’s Harlequins face Newcastle Warriors.

Finally London Irish have all the good Aussies in Rob Simmons, Adam Coleman and Curtis Rona all starting against title contenders Sale Sharks who have Manu Tulagi, Marland Yarde and Ben Curry. This is Sunday night for us.

Not the most Aussie weekend I’ve seen, but I’d watch Irish v Sharks, Saints v Exeter & Wasps v Bears.

I don’t think Stan has whatever they’re calling the Pro 14 anymore which is a shame because Munster taking on the Sharks are stacked. Also didn’t realise Michael Ala'alatoa defected to Leinster.

thanks for the update, was coming to see who I should watch!!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
No Aussies in Friday night's clash between Bristol & Bath. But should be a good game with last year's table topping Bristol smarting from two opening round losses leaving them on the bottom of the table. Still no Semi Radradra though for Bristol.

Then on Saturday night is Northampton hosting London Irish/Aussie. Northampton is pretty star studded with Welsh and B&IL 10 Dan Biggar, NZ Matt Proctor at 13, and also Courtney Lawes & Frank Lomani on the bench. London Irish will have to step up their game after a woeful opening forty last week with by my count two tries conceded directly thanks to Aussies. Maybe they'll be helped by the return of Nick Phipps to the 9 jersey? Partnering Phipps is probably the future Irish 10 Paddy Jackson. The Aussie locking pair of Simmons and Coleman continues, with Curtis Rona at 13.

Worcester Warriors take on Gloucester who have at fullback former Rebel Jason Woodward and Ben Meehan at 9. Also Jonny May on the wing.

Newcastle take on Wasps in a very unAustralian match for the final match of Saturday night.

Later on is Leicester Tigers welcoming Owen Farrell's Saracens. Tigers have Aussie Guy Porter starting at 13. Leicester wouldn't be a bad team to follow as they've been awful for years but look to be turning their fortunes around.

Last game is Sunday arvo, Sale v Exeter, with Ryan McCauley on the bench for Exeter and Stuart Hogg returning to fullback for them. Sale have the Springbok B team essentially. This match is probably between two teams that are almost definitely making the top 4.

I'd watch:
- Northampton v Irish - should be a close-ish match with lots hundreds of Wallabies caps.
- Sale v Exeter - top game
- Leicester Tigers v Saracens - see if the Tigers are any good against the championship favourites

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Mack is a big loss for the Brumbies and for Aussie rugby as well. A scintillating run beating defenders with pace, swerve and step.