• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Hemisphere Rugby

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Luke Morahan makes his long awaited return tonight and starts 14 for Bristol Bears v London Irish who have their usual swag of Aussies. Should make a good watch for Australian fans.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Also noticed that Sydney Uni stalwart Nick Champion de Crispigny is starting at 7 for Castres in the Top 14, didn’t realise he was over there. Good luck to him. Also Lopeti Timani is starting at 7 too for Toulon which is unexpected.

Hogie

Allen Oxlade (6)
It is getting quite disheartening with the number of aussies playing for other countries this autumn series. Cornelson, Moore, Gunter, Riley for Japan. Johnson and Tuipulotu for Scotland. Dolly and Lynagh for England. Hansen for Ireland. At this stage none of the above would be in my Wallabies 23 but it is this level of player that we need in SRAU in order to raise our level. Understand the reason why they have all gone abroad and seeked international honours (exception of Lynagh) and can't see this ending anytime soon unless RA gets a serious cash injection

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Was watching Gloucester-Bristol Bears this morning, good game I thought . Jordy Reid came on as a sub for Gloucester, went ok too, not suggesting he a Wallaby standard, but good to see he playing well. Was also really impressed with Steven Luatua, he still going bloody well for Bristol, think he one ABs are almost missing a bit.
Also was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the artificial pitches a few clubs have got over there. Seem to keep the fields in good condition, ball seems to bounce a little higher at times, and you seem to be able to slide on them a decent distance. Though I suspect it why a few players are liking tights so legs don't get 'burns' on them, which may just sting a bit.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Was watching Gloucester-Bristol Bears this morning, good game I thought . Jordy Reid came on as a sub for Gloucester, went ok too, not suggesting he a Wallaby standard, but good to see he playing well.
Missed this game, but Jordy started first game and scored a try. His partner just gave birth so assuming he took some time off as all family would be here. Everyone forgets when Jordy was playing well he managed to keep Colby on the bench, always worked hard and gave his all. Guy played with a broken back at one stage for the Rebels. Glad his getting some game time again, he did kill it for Earling before Gloucester.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Scarlets have has to forfeit their first Heinekin Cup match against Bristol Bears, Covid has struck!

They only had 14 players training and 7 of those development players, feel it too risky tring to put out team with no training even if they get enough players cleared.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Scarlets have has to forfeit their first Heinekin Cup match against Bristol Bears, Covid has struck!

They only had 14 players training and 7 of those development players, feel it too risky tring to put out team with no training even if they get enough players cleared.

Bien sports 3 on foxtel for anyone interested

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Been watching a bit of Heineken Cup stuff this morning, and was interested to hear that English rugby are dropping the salary cap to 5 mill a year, and only dispensation for one elite player instead of 2 per team. Not sure how much difference it will make down this way as there seems to be very few Aus or kiwi players there now.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Been watching a bit of Heineken Cup stuff this morning, and was interested to hear that English rugby are dropping the salary cap to 5 mill a year, and only dispensation for one elite player instead of 2 per team. Not sure how much difference it will make down this way as there seems to be very few Aus or kiwi players there now.
Some of those that are there are very highly paid though - I think Coleman was close to the highest paid player in the premiership when he was signed. Either way it means less competition for players and less of the inflationary pressure on player salaries that we've been seeing, so it should be a positive for us.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Nice highlights of Skelton's performance in his Heineken Cup performance on the weekend against Glasgow (w/ a small cameo from Tuipuloto).

I feel he should start like Tupou and grow into the game, instead of trying to make magic happen in the final 25 minutes.

Also if you wanna see some vintage Quade magic, check out his instagram stories from his weekend's game in Japan against Bernard Foley. Looking much more ridiculous than his measured Wallabies efforts.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Nice highlights of Skelton's performance in his Heineken Cup performance on the weekend against Glasgow (w/ a small cameo from Tuipuloto).

I feel he should start like Tupou and grow into the game, instead of trying to make magic happen in the final 25 minutes.

Also if you wanna see some vintage Quade magic, check out his instagram stories from his weekend's game in Japan against Bernard Foley. Looking much more ridiculous than his measured Wallabies efforts.

Thought BPA was good in a loosing side as well

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
anyone else following the absolute cluster **** in the Heineken cup & the challenge?

Teams forfeiting mid week then on the friday morning postponement of all french side games yet 3 clubs that already said they couldn't field a side (including Ospreys who literally put their hand up hours before the decision) still being forced to give a 28-0 bonus point loss. I don't envy anyone in charge atm it much be a nightmare job trying to get a comp running smoothly

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
anyone else following the absolute cluster **** in the Heineken cup & the challenge?

Teams forfeiting mid week then on the friday morning postponement of all french side games yet if a 3 clubs that already said they couldn't field a side (including Ospreys who literally put their hand up hours before the decision) still being forced to give a 28-0 bonus point loss. I don't envy anyone in charge atm it much be a nightmare job trying to get a comp running smoothly
Yep I watch it quite a bit. And probably like you praying it not going to happen to our comps this year, but realistically think it will!!

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Yep I watch it quite a bit. And probably like you praying it not going to happen to our comps this year, but realistically think it will!!

Its insane, Lyon still played in wales, Benetton still played in France & french refs still refereed in Ireland!

Hopefully the teams that gave early notice get to play their games when the other postponed games happen

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
This is the worst interuption since this bloody pandemic happened, reckon there will be quite some more!!

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
This is the worst interuption since this bloody pandemic happened, reckon there will be quite some more!!

Apart from the 4 comps being called off all over the same weekend across the world ;) soz only teasing.

It looks like its only french boarders being closed & SA teams are not due to play northern teams for 3 weeks still so alot can happen. Hopefully all 3 comps can go ahead boxing day. URC goes to 2 weeks of local derby's no travel so unless sides get an outbreak hopefully everyone plays the next 2 rounds.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Be interesting to see what happens in Heineken cup. How many games can you call off and award a 28-0 win to the home team? There doesn't seem an awful lot of time to move games . Don't think they could call comp off as clubs etc need money from TV,I imagine thre enough hurting with loss of revenue already.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
2 games postponed in the URC this week including the 1 match everyone has been waiting all season for! no crowds at welsh games for a while.

1 big positive the premiership is having a full set of games boxing day so the 27th on the couch after too many beers at the cricket boxing day means a lot of flicks between stan mini's & the cricket.