• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Hemisphere Rugby

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
Not really misleading though is it.. all clubs demonstrating a financial loss for the 22-23 FY year would support the broader context that debt is increasing
I meant misleading in terms of the overall actual figures. £191m revenue -v- £29m losses doesn't sound bad.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Very happy to see Reece Hodge have a successful return to professional rugby after a 10 month injury layoff. He's had two barnstorming games for Bayonne, a MotM last game with two tries. He'll be a fan favourite easily.

Bayonne are a fun club to follow, similar small passionate vibes to La Rochelle and are doing well for themselves despite not being a giant club. Same logic applies Jack Maddock's Pau, also punching above their weight this season.

Very keen for Leinster v Toulouse this weekend. I think Leinster will have them, they dispatched La Rochelle way too easily. Toulouse have been too hot and cold recently too. Semi finals in the UK weekend after. Finn Russell's Bath the big movers, going from 8th last year to 2nd, at the expense of Dan McKellar's Tigers who've tumbled from 3rd to 8th. With his squad it's pretty unacceptable.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Game at a relatively friendly time too.

This game really hurts for me, two teams I passionately hate in the final. I think Leinster will get the job done, and make the Irish forums unbearable for a while.

Munsters current form has been unreal, wish they were playing like this after the group stages of Europe.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
Very happy to see Reece Hodge have a successful return to professional rugby after a 10 month injury layoff. He's had two barnstorming games for Bayonne, a MotM last game with two tries. He'll be a fan favourite easily.

Bayonne are a fun club to follow, similar small passionate vibes to La Rochelle and are doing well for themselves despite not being a giant club. Same logic applies Jack Maddock's Pau, also punching above their weight this season.

Very keen for Leinster v Toulouse this weekend. I think Leinster will have them, they dispatched La Rochelle way too easily. Toulouse have been too hot and cold recently too. Semi finals in the UK weekend after. Finn Russell's Bath the big movers, going from 8th last year to 2nd, at the expense of Dan McKellar's Tigers who've tumbled from 3rd to 8th. With his squad it's pretty unacceptable.
Fascinating final given how the semis played out with massive comebacks by the less favoured oppo. I lean towards Toulouse. Hot and cold, yes, but their hot is better than Leinster's.

Agree about Pau and Bayonne.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
Crikey, what a final. Dupont MOTM as much for his astonishing tireless defence as going forward. Just a fabulous player. Both defences on top but Leinster were muddled in attack with too many errors. Toulouse showed how it's done when the chances presented themselves. Outstanding game from Kinghorn. Subbing on Ramos could have cost them.

Steve_Grey

Ted Fahey (11)
Crikey, what a final. Dupont MOTM as much for his astonishing tireless defence as going forward. Just a fabulous player. Both defences on top but Leinster were muddled in attack with too many errors. Toulouse showed how it's done when the chances presented themselves. Outstanding game from Kinghorn. Subbing on Ramos could have cost them.
Dupont said he mastered his jackal skills from his 7s training / playing - 4 turnovers I think?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Thought Dupont's traditional 9 roles were lacking yesterday this morning, makes up for it by being a the best tracking fullback in the game and pilferer at the same time. What a freak.

Congrats to Richie and Manny on joining the small club of Aussies who've won the Champions Cup multiple times. Surely Richie is the first to do it with a red card too.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I know a lot of people dislike the idea of world club championship but I would love to see a full strength Brumbies/Reds/Canes/Blues/Chiefs take on Leinster/Toulouse/Saracens/La Rochelle. Don't know how to organise it so the clubs take it seriously. But I have no idea how the teams compare. Would the Canes crumble or dominate Toulouse? nfi.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I know a lot of people dislike the idea of world club championship but I would love to see a full strength Brumbies/Reds/Canes/Blues/Chiefs take on Leinster/Toulouse/Saracens/La Rochelle. Don't know how to organise it so the clubs take it seriously. But I have no idea how the teams compare. Would the Canes crumble or dominate Toulouse? nfi.
That's the tricky part to this, timing and travel will have such a bearing on the results and I worry there's an natural reaction for those clubs up against on those counts to not engage properly as a way to save face.

I think the answer is probably just start it and let the prestige build over time, but a decent participation payout and massive prize money is probably the other part.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
That's the tricky part to this, timing and travel will have such a bearing on the results and I worry there's an natural reaction for those clubs up against on those counts to not engage properly as a way to save face.

I think the answer is probably just start it and let the prestige build over time, but a decent participation payout and massive prize money is probably the other part.
Sell our souls and have a 4 week tourney in Qatar?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sell our souls and have a 4 week tourney in Qatar?
It's probably the most likely route at this stage. A more neutral ground for travel (although timezones favour Europe and South Africa) but timing is still tricky. Could probably push the mid year tests back a month and find a bit of a window in there that is pretty good for it though.