• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Not another one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
I see in news reports today that Johnathan Thurston is considering a move to this side of the fence when his current contract with the Cowboys expires next year.

For gawds sake, noooooooooooooooooooo!! How many more fwits do we have to pander to? How many more muppets controlling our sport will think these numptys can enliven gods game?

Of course, Thurston's comments would have nothing to with him trying to screw a better deal from the Cowboys or another league club???!!! I agree that Thurston is a talented league player. So let him stay there and remain a talented league player.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Noddy said:
and he could easily seem himself playing for the Wallabies.

What a star!!! ::)

Dont know about that. He'd be best at inside centre, flyhalf maybe fullback. Those positions though need good rugby smarts that league players juts dont have unless they have a significant rugby playin history. Only league players that id consider would be wingers.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
he would make a great fullback, im not a huge league fan, but the guy is a freak, you hate the idea, but if he came i wouldnt knock him back!

agree though that he will end up with a better deal by exploring rugby options!

B

Boomy

This...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOjjGvLjgfI&feature=player_embedded

I know we're in strife but it will just drive more young players to league. Even if they love playing union, knowing that they can make some money whilst they're young in the league ranks and having the idea that if they break through union will take them with open arms when they want more dosh.

Thanks, but no thanks.
Morahan, Toua, Betham. Lets get with these blokes for the years to come instead of racing to hit the panic button and hiringanother mungo who proves to be yet another great league player - average union player.

By all means, go fail in France.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Good footage there Boomy. I see only novelty value in signing Thurston to an Aus franchise. It would take him 2-3 years to master the game by which time he will be over the hill.

E

El Barto

I believe it's just the old "bump up the price" manager tactic. Sure he would get a run in the S14 (God knows, the Reds will have anyone) but I honestly couldn't see him making a Wallaby side. Where would he play and who would you leave out? Give me Genia,Gits,Barnes and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) any day, and like stated above they would be his preferred spots. :angryfire: ::)

B

Boomy

mark_s said:
Good footage there Boomy. I see only novelty value in signing Thurston to an Aus franchise. It would take him 2-3 years to master the game by which time he will be over the hill.

Full credit to Newb who posted that video in the 'Everything Else' section.

To leagues credit I'd have no qualms if Luke Patten or Slater wanted a run in Union, they're worth the money. Great under the high ball - can't forget the play of James Hype O'Connor being out jumped for that high ball vs. Cory Jane, who went on to score in Tokyo (I think it was Tokyo).

Barto is spot on. Didn't Thurston mention not playing league months ago? Then nothing came of it because he (probably) had to focus on training, figured nothing came of it and is dangling the bait off the pier again. Willie Mason used the same tactic. Although it could all be legitimate, with Karmichael taking the leap to France - who knows. Can we swap Quade with a house trained league player?

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)
Thurstons shoulders are shot anyway. He can only tackle by jumping on the back of someone and pulling them down. Waste of time and money.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
9. Genia
10. Thurston
11. Ioane
12. Giteau
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Hynes
15. Barnes

That would be an interesting backline to see.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
15. 1. Slater
14. 2. Hayne
13. 3. Inglis
12. 4. Tahu
11. 5. KHunt
10. 7. Thurston

now that's a backline! as entertaining as any of these blokes sound, i say leave them where they are. better off for everyone.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
There is no way that I'd be knocking back Inglis if he asked to play rugby. He would make a fantastic outside centre or even winger or fullback.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Folau would be rather handy too.. and if Gasnier decided to come home he'd get a run for sure

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Scotty said:
There is no way that I'd be knocking back Inglis if he asked to play rugby. He would make a fantastic outside centre or even winger or fullback.

Amen - and he can give the ball a hoist too. Let's get Jarryd Hayne while we are at it, and also Slater for the7s.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
i think gaz is an exception to the rule so to speak. he's actually immersed himself in the union culture in france and i feel like he's really giving it a go as a new career for him, not just a jaunt for the hell of it. he's got a great rugby (league or union) head on his shoulders too.

these other blokes i'm not convinced about. i think league athleticism doesn't go far at all in union. so whoever it is that wants to come across had better have some dedication, grit, and a high skill level to boot. the fellas mentioned, i see maybe inglis or slater having that.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
cheezel said:
Foxsports has a story on Brett Finch and that he may go to the Melbourne team in 2011, at Fly Half no less. He wouldn't be in my top 100 of league players I would want to cross over.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26492816-5002381,00.html
I read that too, and it makes very little sense. If you're going to poach someone to promote the Vic team, at least poach someone that Vics care about, ie, an AFL player.

Status
Not open for further replies.