• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Not quite a global season but progress nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Feel for you Highlander. A bit.

Good move. Thumbs up to the north for allowing it.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A good move undoubtedly, but really world rugby moves at a snail's pace. Why leave it until after 2020 to introduce? Are there broadcast commitments or similar that get in the way of starting earlier?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A good move undoubtedly, but really world rugby moves at a snail's pace. Why leave it until after 2020 to introduce? Are there broadcast commitments or similar that get in the way of starting earlier?

Doing it for next year is probably difficult with a lot of arrangements already in the works and there isn't a June series in 2019 because it is a RWC year.

My understanding is this is for 2020.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
"Super Rugby starts to build momentum, finally get interesting and then just two weeks out from the playoffs, goes on hold while tests are played. It's the romantic equivalent of jumping up to take the rubbish out just as the lights have been dimmed and the mood music has come on."
Haha

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Doing it for next year is probably difficult with a lot of arrangements already in the works and there isn't a June series in 2019 because it is a RWC year.

My understanding is this is for 2020.
No mid-year tests after a world cup year either, or has that idea fallen by the wayside?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^^ there were June tours in 2016 & 2012, maybe you're thinking of the no EOYT in Cup years (although I seem to remember the Wobs playing at least one match after the 2011 Cup)?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think it good, and probably as close as we can expect to ever have a global season and certainly wouldn't be able to do it before then as tours etc are already in place.
I know some people think it should be a complete Global season, but it doesn't make sense, and we in SH would probably assume that NH would change their season, but can understand why they don't want to do that and can't see us changing ours, so this is best we can hope for. If it gives players a bit of a break it has worked for me!

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^^^^^^^^ there were June tours in 2016 & 2012, maybe you're thinking of the no EOYT in Cup years (although I seem to remember the Wobs playing at least one match after the 2011 Cup)?
There were lots of reports earlier in the year that there would not be an international window mid-year after World cups to give more recovery to NH players

T

TOCC

That's right, if the window shifts to July then there will be no July test window then year following the RWC.

Which has financial implications

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
That's right, if the window shifts to July then there will be no July test window then year following the RWC.

Which has financial implications

Massive ones, as it means we'll get England/Ireland/Wales tours once every 12 years (2 mid-year windows out + Lions tours)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There were lots of reports earlier in the year that there would not be an international window mid-year after World cups to give more recovery to NH players

Massive ones, as it means we'll get England/Ireland/Wales tours once every 12 years (2 mid-year windows out + Lions tours)

Sorry guys, missed that.

Gotta say that unless Straya, SA, NZ etc are gunna get compensated either from RWC profits or some proper revenue sharing from the November internationals then Steve Tew's post-2019 brinkmanship, which I'd previously though I'll-advised, starts to make a whole lotta sense esp if you blokes take the same approach.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Can't find the Rugby Post 2019 thread so here we go:

http://www.worldrugby.org/news/232038

This line irked me a little.

Six Nations unions to collectively host a guaranteed minimum of six tier two fixtures in each November window

I embrace the sentiment behind the idea, but:

a) Tier two is far too broad in scope
b) Six games is far too few, and too easily covered by the PIs
c) Lack of reciprocal requirement by SANZAAR Nations

T

TOCC

It says SANZAAR nations to host Tier 2 in July window.

Overall I think it's a great outcome, there were concerns that the inbound tours would be scrapped post RWC, which obviously has big financial impacts on the SANZAAR nations, so keeping at a 2 match series seems like a fair trade off...

And it will also remove that ridiculous scenario of Super Rugby pausing for the June series

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Committed instead of guaranteed.

I.e.

In Lions years, whoever doesn't host France or the Lions invites a PI Nation to play a single test.

Or

We invited Japan, but strangely, they wanted to host June Tests! What a silly tier two Nation.

Genuine commitment would read differently from the Waffle that is there, something like : "SANZAAR Unions to collectively host a guaranteed minimum of twelve tier two test across each four year World Cup Cycle."

Which is effectively the same commitment offered by the NH Nations, but phrased in such a way that still allows for 3 Test Series against the big boys.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Looks to me to be a bit of a dog's breakfast atm. I'd like to see a bit more meat on the bone.

Does this mean eg, that there will be no opportunity for a grand slam tour in November if the NH tier 1 sides have to play more tier 2 sides in that window? Does it mean there will be no more three test series between NH tier 1 sides and Aus/NZ/SA in July if the NH sides have to tour the PIs etc, and the SANZAAR sides have to host a minimum number of tier 2 sides as well?

Are these issues the unintended consequences I wonder.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Looks to me to be a bit of a dog's breakfast atm. I'd like to see a bit more meat on the bone.

Does this mean eg, that there will be no opportunity for a grand slam tour in November if the NH tier 1 sides have to play more tier 2 sides in that window? Does it mean there will be no more three test series between NH tier 1 sides and Aus/NZ/SA in July if the NH sides have to tour the PIs etc, and the SANZAAR sides have to host a minimum number of tier 2 sides as well?

Are these issues the unintended consequences I wonder.

No, it means the Six Nations sides need to host an average of one game each against a Tier 2 side in November.

In 2016, France hosted Samoa, Ireland --> Canada, England --> Fiji, Wales --> Japan, Italy --> Tonga, Scotland --> Georgia so they got to those six matches without it being a requirement. There was obviously also a Grand Slam Tour attempt by us during that period.

I don't think it would mean the end of three test tours in July. There just might be slightly fewer of them. I'd think more likely is bringing some additional players and slotting in a fourth game on tour.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don't think it would mean the end of three test tours in July. There just might be slightly fewer of them. I'd think more likely is bringing some additional players and slotting in a fourth game on tour.

That's always messy BH, with club sides particularly in Europe not agreeing to release test players for a game outside the test window.

Status
Not open for further replies.