• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Vikings don't seem overly concerned about Buildcorp pulling out, from the Crimes........

The Canberra Vikings could be slapped with an unwanted bill by the Australian Rugby Union after the National Rugby Championship lost its major sponsor this week.

Buildcorp pulled its funding after the the ARU failed to commit to a women's XVs National Championship, as had been a request by Buildcorp co-founder Josephine Sukkar.

While the sponsorship figure has been reported to be worth as much $1million, it is understood the actual amount is around a fifth of that and closer to $200,000.

Canberra Vikings chairman John McGrath said he was made aware of the situation three weeks ago and conceded the club could foot the bill.

"The Buildcorp money goes into administration whereas the broadcast money pays for flights and accommodation, so it's not as dramatic as we first thought and we don't anticipate much change," McGrath said.

"The ARU are working assiduously trying to find a replacement. What happens without one? I'm not sure. At very worst there is a participation agreement which allows the ARU to charge a participation fee to meet those costs."

Vikings Group boss Anthony Hill agreed there will likely be some additional costs for the club, but is confident it will be "business as usual" when the season kicks off in September.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...hips-loses-major-sponsor-20170607-gwmguw.html

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Would there even be enough players of a standard to "create" a womens' NRC? Serious question.

Looking at what i know - for sure.
Whilst Sydney Uni isnt the only team in the NRC franchise - dont they have a team?
I'm sure the 2 Blues have a team and they could be the nucleous.
Rats and Manly have girls 7's teams already, and i think the Rats have a 15's

so hell yeah - i do, and the standardwould only get better by playing games.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
In case you haven't noticed, the demand for womens's sport on FTA is running hot. Cricket, Aussie rules, soccer and netball to name a few. Why do you reckon that Buildcorp were so keen on it?

So yes, we'd have a much better chance of getting a women's NRC on than the men's version.
Have you watched it?
The afl is played at a speed that would give me some chance of playing.
Women's 7s I prefer to men's but that's a low bar.
I probably should post this in the unpopular opinions thread but the surge in interest in females playing historically male sports is based on novelty.
There, I said it. No doubt eternal damnation will be my reward.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Have you watched it?
The afl is played at a speed that would give me some chance of playing.
Women's 7s I prefer to men's but that's a low bar.
I probably should post this in the unpopular opinions thread but the surge in interest in females playing historically male sports is based on novelty.
There, I said it. No doubt eternal damnation will be my reward.

As I said, there's no logic to it, it just is what it is.

It mirrors society, many things we see around us lack logic and or run counter to logic, but they are implemented because they are deemed as being "desireable".

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Setting up national women's sporting leagues in "historically male sports" isn't PC, women deserve to play the sports they enjoy watching on a competitive stage.

Nobody smart is saying a league that is obviously a lesser product aesthetically (and has less consumer demand) should have a 1:1 spending ratio to the men's league, but surely 1:20 or more is fair.

Give women a go, it's the only part of rugby in this country that is growing and happy, rugby loving women support the game as much as men and often have happy rugby loving children of both genders.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think he's talking about the FTA coverage rather than setting up the competitions.

Women's sporting competitions are the reality and rugby needs to address this, but as in so many other areas we are lagging behind other sports. (Which should come as no surprise to anyone)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Setting up national women's sporting leagues in "historically male sports" isn't PC, women deserve to play the sports they enjoy watching on a competitive stage.

Have a look at the comments of posters who have seen the Shute Shield women's comp: there are 7 teams; the games do not necessarily involve 15 players per side - the numbers are determined by who ever turns up on the day.
How could any governing body justify spending the $1m it apparently costs to stage the NRC if that is the quality of the pool from which the players will be drawn. As I point out if Buildcorp think its such a red hot idea they should cover all the costs of running it.
No one deserves anything: you earn it. If someone wants to cover female rugby - FTA or subscription - they can start covering what is already played.
It is a staggering proposition that the place to start with women's rugby is with an elite semi professional comp the existence of which is justified so as to bridge a gap that simply does not exist in women's rugby - and thats because there's no super comp for women and there's a fraction of a shute shield comp so there can't be any gap.
One of the few things the ARU got right.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Have a look at the comments of posters who have seen the Shute Shield women's comp: there are 7 teams; the games do not necessarily involve 15 players per side - the numbers are determined by who ever turns up on the day.

Yeah, but that's the Shute Shield...........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't know much about it to be honest........ but google tells me that there's a 5 team Women's XV comp played over 15 rounds and then finals.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
How could any governing body justify spending the $1m it apparently costs to stage the NRC if that is the quality of the pool from which the players will be drawn. As I point out if Buildcorp think its such a red hot idea they should cover all the costs of running it.
No one deserves anything: you earn it. If someone wants to cover female rugby - FTA or subscription - they can start covering what is already played.
It is a staggering proposition that the place to start with women's rugby is with an elite semi professional comp the existence of which is justified so as to bridge a gap that simply does not exist in women's rugby - and thats because there's no super comp for women and there's a fraction of a shute shield comp so there can't be any gap.
One of the few things the ARU got right.

I don't really see how local level issues relate to what I'm saying. Should we just eliminate rep rugby of all sorts from anywhere that doesn't have a shmick local set-up?

Obvious nobody deserves anything, of course you earn it. Right now there's no real mechanism in place for Women to earn anything in rugby. A 3 day national tournament and a bi-annual international tour don't cut it.

Women's rugby is the fastest (and only) growing part of our game. We must provide the infrastructure for it. Not professional, but at least set-up a tournament where they can play meaningful footy.

If they have to shell out themselves, as they do now, so be it. But make what they're doing a meaningful experience.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don't really see how local level issues relate to what I'm saying. Should we just eliminate rep rugby of all sorts from anywhere that doesn't have a shmick local set-up?

Obvious nobody deserves anything, of course you earn it. Right now there's no real mechanism in place for Women to earn anything in rugby. A 3 day national tournament and a bi-annual international tour don't cut it.

Women's rugby is the fastest (and only) growing part of our game. We must provide the infrastructure for it. Not professional, but at least set-up a tournament where they can play meaningful footy.

If they have to shell out themselves, as they do now, so be it. But make what they're doing a meaningful experience.
Presumably the 7s players are paid.
The numbers and quality are not there.
But you go ahead and start a pro comp without any underpinning. Thats a tried and true ARU view.
What the fuck is a meaningful experience in this context? Poetry at half time?
Most, nearly all, male rugby players or their parents shell out for the privilege of playing - a few don't: your dream seems to be to have all women paid, no amateur comp and Melbourne and Perth playing at Brookvale Oval against 7 Marlins.
Good luck with that.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
How is it the fastest growth area of the game?
Womens 7's is completely different to 15's.

I recall watching a Sydney Uni women's team almost 10 years ago.
Their fitness,skills and playing pattern was substantially better than the standard I've viewed in the past two years.