• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Jokers Match of the Round preview (apologies I am a bit rusty)

Riverview v The Kings School @ The Swamp

Tomorrow the morning dawn will direct its golden rays of sun though the bedroom windows of entitled students across the Sydney's lower north shore as another day of AAGPS rugby greets them. Hopes, dreams, possible nightmares lay ahead and many will be laying in their bed with thoughts running through their mind of what destiny may hold. Plus, the thought, “where are my boots?”

But all of course is not all golden on this dawn. Deep in the bowels of Lane Cove lays a rugby oval of such darkness and murk that even God chooses it to be the last place to feel his light of love. To the wider community it is called the “swamp”, to the Jesuit wolf pack it is called “the lair”. Lined with serene gum trees that manage stay upright longer than the posts, this wind-swept oval has seen some titanic battles in the past and today will be no different as a trampling, thudding sound that can be heard growing ever louder from the west as the hoofs of destiny approach.

The oval is the spiritual home of View rugby and it is honor for the Lane Cove lads to play upon it uneven, bog riddled, slippery surface. It is only when the school decides that they wish to deny the birthright of year 12 boys to lose to the Marists, do they take this moment away to seek further grandiose media coverage. The oval is surrounded on three sides with pristine slopes (soon to be turned into mud) in which mummy and nanny can set up the Saturday luncheon spread for Monty, Oscar, Benji and Reuben to enjoy. The Lane Cove tractors cling to these slopes with the Bentley Bentayga, Landrover Discovery and the pristine 1500 Ram sitting side by side with the visiting chariots of choice. This weekend we shall see the Bentley up against the North Parramatta tractor collection of Rolls Royce Cullinan, Mercedes Benz G Class and of course the ever-popular Audio Q7.

As described in previous editions, the luncheon spread will be tight with the Lane Cove Lunch Club ladies now pulling out all stops. There has been great activity across providores across Sydney as the “help” of the north fetch the right supplies for mistresses “show stopper” basket. These will be carried nonchalantly in a $7000 Prada picnic bag “oh, this little thing”. Popular this weekend should be the Dom Pérignon Vintage Brut Champagne which will be perfectly chilled within the climate-controlled confines of the Bentley glovebox. On offer of course will Kobe Beef rolls, White Truffles and a generous bowl of Beluga caviar among the highlights

On the other side, the landed gentry of Parramatta will have their Rolls Royce baskets on full display. This is an attractive leather-and-wood box filled with many of the tools you'll need for any AAGPS picnic, including place settings for four, two small carafes for liquor, crystal glasses, and tins for food. They are only $46000 and Rolls-Royce drivers love anything that makes their car singular or show up the nouveau-riche of the lower north shore.

Plus, there shall be a game of rugby which is why most people came.

This of course is where our focus is and my thoughts remind me of the line as uttered by the great English footballer John McGrath who said, “a champion team will always beat a team of champions”. This week the discussion has run this way with the common thought being that a wolf pack works more efficiently than a cow herd. While hoping not to get trodden under the enormous weight of the Kings team, the wolf pack must take what opportunities they can and swarm in defense. Cows do not like it when you get up into their face. Try it….fear enters their eyes, doubt clouds the mind and long grass to chew is forgotten. If View score early and stay ahead will the cows panic? Will they regroup? Will the Moet & Chandon run out late in the game? All will be revealed this weekend.

My fearless pick. View by 6 pork and fennel rolls.

-1x-1.jpg

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Where are you getting this food from at View? If it wasn't for the Old Boys BBQ you're clambering for a very mediocre selection.

Weather has been kind this season and in my opinion 1st Field is looking a treat. Short, green and ready to see some high quality footy. Posts are straight (@AroundTheAnkles) for now...(its that pesky breeze that picks up from water front property, ya know....)

Whilst dated and past its serviceable life IMO the natural elevation at View gives a great platform to watch from. Can be up and close at Scots and the Far side at Joeys & Shore but you can't tell what's going from half way across the field being at playing level.

letsruck

Allen Oxlade (6)
Where are you getting this food from at View? If it wasn't for the Old Boys BBQ you're clambering for a very mediocre selection.

Weather has been kind this season and in my opinion 1st Field is looking a treat. Short, green and ready to see some high quality footy. Posts are straight (@AroundTheAnkles) for now...(its that pesky breeze that picks up from water front property, ya know....)

Whilst dated and past its serviceable life IMO the natural elevation at View gives a great platform to watch from. Can be up and close at Scots and the Far side at Joeys & Shore but you can't tell what's going from half way across the field being at playing level.
View is great to watch at although when its wet the hill turns into a frictionless surface sending anyone in flat bottomed shoes sliding to the bottom.

Flat out

Frank Nicholson (4)

Was certainly a good viewing perspective back in 2018 watching the Joeys Miracle in the Dark.

Mannix Jorgenson

Bob McCowan (2)
@Joker tips
newington +3 unfortunately tiebreaker finale.
kings +14 easy game for them to hold defend the shield.
scotts +19 some fresh meat for our supposedly 'shore trolls' on the forum.

Rugby Enthusiast Mat

Stan Wickham (3)
In conjunction with the upcoming support round 8 games, I believe it is important to show our support to the AFL boys who have been working extremely hard and putting up some great support. My nephew Will Pettiona will be playing this weekend for St Ignatius Collage 1st 18 alongside some talented year 11 boys Patrick Curry and Lachlan-Horden Smith. They will be playing Newington at 7 tonight, hopefully, a redemption shot redemption for the last game they played against them.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
In conjunction with the upcoming support round 8 games, I believe it is important to show our support to the AFL boys who have been working extremely hard and putting up some great support. My nephew Will Pettiona will be playing this weekend for St Ignatius Collage 1st 18 alongside some talented year 11 boys Patrick Curry and Lachlan-Horden Smith. They will be playing Newington at 7 tonight, hopefully, a redemption shot redemption for the last game they played against them.
Yeah couldnt agree more Sam L wrizz Sharman set up for another riveting performance. Was lucky enough to speak Bridget (sams sister) and she said that his ankles are feeling much better this week as we saw him come off with 5 minutes to go against Scots last week.
Do the AFl boys even come and Watch the Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.