• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

The Chairman

Syd Malcolm (24)
Newington mark their names as favourites along with Shore and St Joseph’s looking to poke their head in. Wide open field in the top three as of now.

Footy head

Chris McKivat (8)
Very strong showing from the Newington 1st XV, Newington gave 2 year 10 front rowers a run (both played Gen Blue U15s last year) and they played very well. Things looking good in the Newington camp right now. They have been flying under the radar recently but this shows their real strength.

-Footyhead

belowthesternum

Frank Row (1)
As a neutral, the Shore v Oakhill Game was an absolution cracking game to be at. The atmosphere was great and field was looking pristine. The Shore kicking game of the 10 and 12 were outstanding, causing many errors from the Oakhill back 3 which helped create field position, turning that into early points. From there on, Oakhill fought back but Shore seemed to have all the answers, looking good on defence. The forwards were quite evenly match through their set pieces, but I was particularly impressed by the Oakhill 7 and his match-ups with the well decorated Shore 7, containing his X-Factor quite well. On a slightly sour note, I think the reffing was quite poor, slightly against Oakhill's favour, and had this been a closer game, could have been a much talked about topic.

All in All a Great showcasing of 2 vastly improved rugby programs and looking forward to having more of these game in the professional grounds, because I think the spectacle of the ground and the crowd elevates it to another level for the boys.

Running_rugby_1954

Alex Ross (28)
As a neutral, the Shore v Oakhill Game was an absolution cracking game to be at. The atmosphere was great and field was looking pristine. The Shore kicking game of the 10 and 12 were outstanding, causing many errors from the Oakhill back 3 which helped create field position, turning that into early points. From there on, Oakhill fought back but Shore seemed to have all the answers, looking good on defence. The forwards were quite evenly match through their set pieces, but I was particularly impressed by the Oakhill 7 and his match-ups with the well decorated Shore 7, containing his X-Factor quite well. On a slightly sour note, I think the reffing was quite poor, slightly against Oakhill's favour, and had this been a closer game, could have been a much talked about topic.

All in All a Great showcasing of 2 vastly improved rugby programs and looking forward to having more of these game in the professional grounds, because I think the spectacle of the ground and the crowd elevates it to another level for the boys.
Sounds like you should sign up to referee belowthesternum.

The Chairman

Syd Malcolm (24)
Power Rankings following trial week 1
1714828170293.png

Here for the advice

Frank Row (1)
Will be interested in how the teams change things around for trials in week two. Would be surprised if teams of this weekend are the opening teams - if so maybe a question on the depth of squads - as we all know injuries will sadly play a part !

The Fun Buss

Bob McCowan (2)
I was Initially confident in my predictions for the upcoming AAGPS rugby season, I thought i properly analysed team performances and player rosters, But obviously not. After multiple upsets from all trial games, i've I adapted my predictions to reflect these amazing circumstances
My predictions are as follows:

Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 12.18.05 pm.png

I'm amazed by how closely matched the teams are this season. The competition is fierce, with the smallest of margins separating them. After yesterday's standout performances from Shore, St. Ignatius, and Newington, it's become even harder to predict who'll clinch the top spot.

While uncertain about Shore's position, I've tentatively placed them at second. I wouldve placed them tied with scots in my predictions. However, I must admit, I see them as true underdogs in the race for GPS glory. Despite their current ranking, I wouldn't count them out just yet. Their potential to surprise and upset the hierarchy of teams cannot be overlooked. So, while they may sit at second for now, I'm keeping a close eye on Shore, fully aware that they could emerge as formidable contenders as the season progresses.

I've placed Scots at third following their loss against Newington, understanding it's just a trial. However, at this moment, they don't seem like a major threat to St. Joseph's, St. Ignatius, Newington or shore.

My rationale for placing Kings at the bottom of my predictions is quite straightforward. Following up from their incredible squad last year presents a monumental challenge for them. It's undeniable that they face an uphill battle in their quest for GPS glory. However, despite their current standing, I'm not ready to write off Kings just yet. They could very well be underestimated by others, and I wouldn't be surprised if they prove to be a force to be reckoned with as the season unfolds, Cheers.

Last edited:

Backintheolddays

Bill Watson (15)
As a Kings supporter I've been impressed with their form coming from a relatively low base after the highs of last year. I think the coaches have made this a development year with a lot of year 11's and 10's in the Opens squad - probably on par with their year 12 peers in some instances but more upside in the opportunity of the extra year exposure.
The forwards in particular have held their own, aside from some scrummaging issues against Knox, however their defensive frailties in the backs need some attention and they lack zip out wide. If they tighten up their midfield and are happy to grind out games (no flashy Staniforth's or Tonga's to go around) and take the points they may surprise a few this year. Depth will be a real key which they may struggle with. If they get their best XV on the park, and particularly if its wet (let it rain!), they'll go alright.
Stunned at the Scots v New trial outcome - wonder if there is an untold story. In last weeks trial Kings went ok against New who were fresh while Kings had played 40 against Knox. If anything I'd say the Kings forwards shaded New but the spark in the New backs was the difference (from memory three tries of scrum set piece)

InsiderScoop

Sydney Middleton (9)
My notes after I watched Barker v View. Wet conditions prevented some clear tries and linebreaks from both teams, the expansive view we saw last year is back and it worked well against a big pack. Barker have a fairly large pack that tired out after the 2nd half, however execution was a problem for View in making this advantageous. Barker standouts were 10,14,15. Barker 14 saw plenty of ball and ran plenty of metres, beating defenders in the process. Young Isaac Perkins View 8 was a handful both defensively and on ball. Phoenix Graham, View 4 also amongst the mix, tackles hard, carries harder and well drilled in the lineout. View 5 Dan Smith had a great attacking game, whilst View 6 Daniel Saunders was a handful at the lineout... View will need to improve execution and fluency off of set piece. Defensively lots of lapses, line speed was second to Barkers and spacing seemed a bit off at times, must improve with their smaller pack if they want to put other teams in the GPS on the back foot in defence and slow momentum. View backs played well but only when they had front foot ball from Forwards. They seem to have a good 9,10,12,13 combo and until Max Mason (10) is back View just have to improve there execution off set piece. Would like to see there front row improve defensively and be dominant in contact like 2022 Joeys front row. Despite a scrappy game was pretty impressed, played as a team just a few areas that will improve week to week.

Sounds like Shore and Joeys were dominant and have the execution down pat. Newington should be happy and prove they are a real threat. Despite Scots having some big names out, it may raise some concerns regarding depth and also Scots being reliant on some one off play. Newington must've controlled the park and cut down on errors which happened in a fair few games last season. Haven't heard much out of Kings camp but placing them last should be a real insult to them. Excited as it seems the 10 game season will really move the ladder round this year with each team shaping up pretty evenly. Keen for it to start.

the_merchant

Bob McCowan (2)
16A’s tied 2 tries a piece. Interesting how Newington decide to put the 16A’s on the old boys field which is about a half field. Couldn’t have anything to do with their huge pack of forwards and lacking backline in comparison….. 4 injuries to the Scots side during that game, pretty expected when you’ve got a 60 minute game of train-tracks going on. Don’t know why Newington can’t have just put the 16s on the main and played a proper game of full field footy. Reckon it could have been a very different result with Scots being a very dynamic and fast team. Newington main looked in fine condition, not flooded or muddy at all.
the 2 best forwards didn’t even play half the game Isaiah and iliyaz all tries, were scored by backs and final score was 12-10 ref didn’t count the kick in final score kicks on video if you’d like proof . Coming from a view supporter.@propsarespeedy any more complaints?

Rookie21

Chris McKivat (8)
Power Rankings Trial 1.png

My power rankings after Trial 1. This is just my opinion so please feel free to disagree with me but rankings will certainly change as the season goes on and as I learn more about the teams.

I am also aware that these are trial matches.

Newington: Very impressive scoreline showing dominance over Scots. Newington look strong this year and are certainly contenders for the title if they stay consistent. Wouldn't blame anyone if they were their out-and-out favourites for this year.

Shore: They look like a brilliant rugby team. The vastly improved rugby program has brought drastic changes to how they have performed in the last couple of years. If they can get past Newington and Scots (should Scots perform as we expect them to), then they are certainly in with an enormous chance to attain GPS glory.

Joeys: Can never count out the boys from Hunters Hill. They live and breathe rugby. Did well to overpower Knox on Saturday afternoon. Always in with a chance to clinch the title.

Scots: I don't think any of us predicted that scoreline, regardless of who was in the lineup on the day. I have them as outsiders after this round but this will almost certainly change as the season goes on with having a great lineup on paper. I am certainly not writing off Scots and I still believe they have the best chance to win it this year. This ranking is just reflective of the match just gone by.

Riverview: I wasn't sure what to expect of this game with both View and Barker having been knocked over by Oakhill. From what I hear, it was a hard fought win by View. I'm keen to keep an eye on them for the next couple of weeks.

Kings: Will be difficult to replicate the highs of last season and from what I gather, the Waverley game was scrappy with the turning point being when the Waverley 8 had to go off with a blue card. Would be stupid to write them off after one game, however. Hoping Kings can be stronger than we expect them to be this year.