• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Professor62

Larry Dwyer (12)
I was Initially confident in my predictions for the upcoming AAGPS rugby season, I thought i properly analysed team performances and player rosters, But obviously not. After multiple upsets from all trial games, i've I adapted my predictions to reflect these amazing circumstances
My predictions are as follows:

View attachment 18780

I'm amazed by how closely matched the teams are this season. The competition is fierce, with the smallest of margins separating them. After yesterday's standout performances from Shore, St. Ignatius, and Newington, it's become even harder to predict who'll clinch the top spot.

While uncertain about Shore's position, I've tentatively placed them at second. I wouldve placed them tied with scots in my predictions. However, I must admit, I see them as true underdogs in the race for GPS glory. Despite their current ranking, I wouldn't count them out just yet. Their potential to surprise and upset the hierarchy of teams cannot be overlooked. So, while they may sit at second for now, I'm keeping a close eye on Shore, fully aware that they could emerge as formidable contenders as the season progresses.
Very ambitious to put View and Joeys over Shore. Shores 1XV beat Oakhill 40-10 (before subs started to go on in the last 5 min), whereas Oakhill beat both Barker and View. From my understanding, Joeys lost to Barker! Also, Shore has not been within 25 points of a team this year (Oakhill, TSS, Waverly) putting on very dominate performances.
-Professor

Flat out

Frank Nicholson (4)
Very ambitious to put View and Joeys over Shore. Shores 1XV beat Oakhill 40-10 (before subs started to go on in the last 5 min), whereas Oakhill beat both Barker and View. From my understanding, Joeys lost to Barker! Also, Shore has not been within 25 points of a team this year (Oakhill, TSS, Waverly) putting on very dominate performances.
-Professor
Joeys lose to Barker most years - especially in the seasons where Joeys go on to bring home the silverware.

The Fun Buss

Bob McCowan (2)
-Professor

Rankings in sports are often subjective, influenced by multiple factors beyond mere win-loss records. While Shore has showcased impressive victories, the criteria for rankings can vary. St. Ignatius' post Oakhill improvement underscores their commitment and resilience. The upcoming St. Ignatius versus Waverley match holds promise for a competitive encounter, with both teams likely to bring their best.

In rugby underdogs can sometimes surprise by toppling giants, showcasing rugby's unpredictability. So i will keep St Ignatius at Tied 1st for now due to their outstanding performance on Saturday. Cheers.

Last edited:

George Anderson

Frank Row (1)
Mooney out for Newington 1st XV against Scots, back this week I hear. The fill-in was impressive, excited to see what New will do against kings this week with a full lineup and for that position battle to flourish.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I tend to think the Schools with genuine depth can have more mixed results across 1sts, 2nds & 3rds this time of year because of the chopping and changing. Coaches are evaluating them or for example putting a guy who may end up a 1sts Winger in at 15 in the 2nds to get more involved one week.

These schools also tend to train as bigger squads due to the depth so once it settles they'll be ready to go and the comp evens out by round 1.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Yep, Joeys treat the early trials particularly as, well, trials. Emphasis on giving as many contenders a go as possible. 2 reasons, 1) builds depth 2) reveals talent.
As one of the joeys coaches used to tell me. “You learn more from a loss than a win”. Joeys rarely blitz in trials. They use them to blood new cattledogs and reveal the character of the player. Just because you played A’s doesn’t make you an automatic choice. In 1985 joeys had a winger who had played in the 16F’s. He just was given a chance.

Snowy Mountains

Frank Nicholson (4)
I tend to think the Schools with genuine depth can have more mixed results across 1sts, 2nds & 3rds this time of year because of the chopping and changing. Coaches are evaluating them or for example putting a guy who may end up a 1sts Winger in at 15 in the 2nds to get more involved one week.

These schools also tend to train as bigger squads due to the depth so once it settles they'll be ready to go and the comp evens out by round 1.
I feel this is exactly what the previous message was talking about. Mix it up, blood new boys, combination's, who knows with a 2-round competition what will happen with injury, and I dare say it, form!

The Fun Buss

Bob McCowan (2)
By "hopefully" do you mean I'm going to?

Just watched the clip. Is there even contact with the swinging arm? Someone's very upset to create the YouTube page today to post a 7s clip.
Couldn't agree more. Just poor to create a Youtube video of a so called "punch." i just see it as Schoolboy banter and it was always destin to happen, and has been for 134 years, Cheers.

Last edited:

wiltwalker

Bob McCowan (2)
A great game between Barker and View in the weekend. Hopefully the view 7 gets called out for the punch in the first couple of minutes against Barker 10.
In what world is that a punch? Clearly, you're some insecure barker boy hiding behind a screen, not able to swallow your loss. We don't call out people on this forum. Be better.

ZofW

GPS Observer

Herbert Moran (7)
Based on the trials so far I would rank them

Shore and Joeys
Newington and Kings
Scots and Riverview

With any side capable of beating any other on a day.

the one who knocks

Bob McCowan (2)
I was Initially confident in my predictions for the upcoming AAGPS rugby season, I thought i properly analysed team performances and player rosters, But obviously not. After multiple upsets from all trial games, i've I adapted my predictions to reflect these amazing circumstances
My predictions are as follows:

View attachment 18780

I'm amazed by how closely matched the teams are this season. The competition is fierce, with the smallest of margins separating them. After yesterday's standout performances from Shore, St. Ignatius, and Newington, it's become even harder to predict who'll clinch the top spot.

While uncertain about Shore's position, I've tentatively placed them at second. I wouldve placed them tied with scots in my predictions. However, I must admit, I see them as true underdogs in the race for GPS glory. Despite their current ranking, I wouldn't count them out just yet. Their potential to surprise and upset the hierarchy of teams cannot be overlooked. So, while they may sit at second for now, I'm keeping a close eye on Shore, fully aware that they could emerge as formidable contenders as the season progresses.

I've placed Scots at third following their loss against Newington, understanding it's just a trial. However, at this moment, they don't seem like a major threat to St. Joseph's, St. Ignatius, Newington or shore.

My rationale for placing Kings at the bottom of my predictions is quite straightforward. Following up from their incredible squad last year presents a monumental challenge for them. It's undeniable that they face an uphill battle in their quest for GPS glory. However, despite their current standing, I'm not ready to write off Kings just yet. They could very well be underestimated by others, and I wouldn't be surprised if they prove to be a force to be reckoned with as the season unfolds, Cheers.
Knock Knock,

@The Fun Buss you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Riverview are clearly at the bottom of the pack coming off loses from joeys and oak hill. There clearly not contenders in this years gps comp. good pick with newington being the dark horses that I previously discussed. Scots with rumours of big names out such as Brial, large and Jaques I see shore being favourites along with top contenders joeys. I do think it would be a mistake to put Scots out of contention with such a deep team but they have suffered a series blow with injuries. Additionally, I think Riverview and kings will be in contention for 5th both teams showing lack of depth especially kings who are pulling heavily from younger years.

- The One Who Knocks

The Fun Buss

Bob McCowan (2)
Knock Knock,

@The Fun Buss you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Riverview are clearly at the bottom of the pack coming off loses from joeys and oak hill. There clearly not contenders in this years gps comp. good pick with newington being the dark horses that I previously discussed. Scots with rumours of big names out such as Brial, large and Jaques I see shore being favourites along with top contenders joeys. I do think it would be a mistake to put Scots out of contention with such a deep team but they have suffered a series blow with injuries. Additionally, I think Riverview and kings will be in contention for 5th both teams showing lack of depth especially kings who are pulling heavily from younger years.

- The One Who Knocks
It sounds like you've got a passionate take on the GPS comp! While you may not have intended to throw shade as nor did i, but hey, everyone's entitled to their opinions, right? And yours seems to lean towards Shore as a top contender. They do seem to have a strong team this year and i am definitely going to predict them as a strong contender. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out once the competition heats up, Cheers.

the one who knocks

Bob McCowan (2)
It sounds like you've got a passionate take on the GPS comp! While you may not have intended to throw shade as nor did i, but hey, everyone's entitled to their opinions, right? And yours seems to lean towards Shore as a top contender. They do seem to have a strong team this year and i am definitely going to predict them as a strong contender. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out once the competition heats up, Cheers.
Knock Knock,

Yes, champ everyone is entitled to their own opinion but some opinions are a bit more accurate than others. Shore is a contender so as many other teams but they do have a strong team aswell as injuries and the dark horse of Newington could seriously shake up the competition this year so I have shore not as a top contender but as one that could possibly top the comp, only early days.

-The One Who Knocks